Suzuki Auto SA to introduce Suzuki Super Carry bakkie

FiestaST

Honorary Master
SEE: These are some of South Africa’s cheapest bakkies

The painful consequences of South Africa’s new budget are about to become real in the next few months, which means your pending bakkie purchase might be up for reconsideration.

If you wish to buy new, what are your bargain bakkie options in lieu of budgetary constraints? We've gone shopping on the cheap, to provide you with a list of inexpensive bakkie options below.

JMC Boarding - R176 880

Not awful in appearance and powered by a 2.8-litre turbodiesel engine, which doesn’t make it asthmatically slow either and the cabin features electric windows and a USB port to keep your Smartphone charged and connected.

The JMC Boarding’s engine produces 235Nm of torque and it is rated to carry 990kg, which is nearly a tonne. The only thing you need to be mindful of is the absence of anti-lock brakes. And airbags.

Tata Super Ace - R169 995

The only remnant of Tata’s once ambitious local bakkie product portfolio, the Super Ace is one of those odd, but amazingly usable, cab-over-engine compact trucks.

Powered by a 52kW 1.4-litre turbodiesel and featuring the aerodynamics of a container home, the Super Ace isn’t fast – despite being relatively light for a utility vehicle, at 1160kg.

Tata claims that it will haul 1t in its sizeable load area, but would you really want to try doing that up a long incline on the N1, with only 135Nm to roll you along? Base specification has very little kit. Which means no power-windows or air-conditioning.

GWM Steed5 2.2 Mpi single cab - R159 900

You don’t get an airbag or anti-lock brakes but do get a radio with USB porting function, power-steering and air-conditioning.

The GWM Steed5 is interesting in its choice of powertrain, which is 2.2-litre petrol, instead of the diesels which dominate South African bakkie specification.

Fuel-injection coaxes from 74kW and 180Nm from the 2.2-litre four-cylinder engine, which should enough to get most loads where you need them to be. Not quickly. But eventually.

Mahindra Maxitruck - R153 999

The only Indian bakkie brand really worth considering, the Maxitruck is Mahindra’s value offering.

It’s a full-sized single-cab capable of carrying 1150kg, but you’d have to be a very patient driver to attempt piloting the Maxitruck at its full load-rating.

It’s powered by a 2.5-litre turbodiesel which manages to convert only 46kW and 195Nm from the fuel energy source.

Those are very low numbers, especially the peak power output, which means that a loaded Maxitruck is going to be spending a lot of time in the far-left lane, its pace dictated by the haphazard commuting behaviour of taxis.

Suzuki Super Carry - R115 900

This is the Suzuki everyone appears to forget about. A compact little delivery truck which is powered by 1.2-litre engine producing 54kW and 101Nm and rated to carry 750kg.

An incredibly light utility vehicle, at only 850kg, the Super Cary has been officially discontinued but remains in the Japanese brand’s inventory system locally – as we notice a few being sold each month within the NAAMSA sales statistics.

If you are tasked to do a long-distance delivery in one, it is worth remembering that these Suzuki mini-trucks only have a fuel tank capacity of 30-litres.

https://www.wheels24.co.za/OffRoad_...me-of-south-africas-cheapest-bakkies-20190228

Pic 1.JPGPic 2.JPGPic 3.JPGPic 4.JPGPic 5.JPG

FiestaST

Honorary Master
SEE | These little trucks can hold a candle to any bakkie's cargo area

• The trucks listed plays an important role in keeping the economy going

• Each truck's engine does not produce a lot of power

• The loading bays are extremely big

In the closing stages of May 2020, Wheels24 published a story on single cab bakkies with the biggest loading bays.

The article garnered widespread interest from both readers and industry players, with two common questions continuously popping up, albeit in different forms: Do vehicles like the Kia 2700 and Suzuki Super Carry not count as bakkies? And, why were they not included?

Automakers such as Hyundai, JMC, and Kia call their offerings 'single' or 'double cab' bakkies. This is mainly in reference to the loading bay, which should have justified their inclusions in the published list. Thing is, these 'bakkies' are not your traditional offerings. What we, as the general public, perceive as a bakkie, does not include the vehicles in the list below.

1. Changan Star III

2. Suzuki Super Carry

3. Hyundai H-100

4. JAC X200

5. Kia K2700

Chun_li

2158708-maruti_eeco.jpg

Would be cool if we had this in SA. The only thing we have like this is the Changan Star 3 mini bus and I'm pretty sure we'd all have a Suzuki over a Changan.

eg2505

Honorary Master
what I cant understand is why dont they bring the VAN versions to our shores?

they sold them here locally, called the Suzuki half loaf.

would make a great school run car,

FiestaST

Honorary Master
what I cant understand is why dont they bring the VAN versions to our shores?

they sold them here locally, called the Suzuki half loaf.

would make a great school run car,
I actually concur with you. I see potential.

Different naming notwithstanding.

eg2505

Honorary Master
I actually concur with you. I see potential.

Different naming notwithstanding.
what I never understood is why somebody never built a camper version,
would make an awesome little mobile-home

less is more so to say.

Chun_li

2158708-maruti_eeco.jpg

Suzuki Eeco, basically a van version of the Super Carry. It also has features like head rests (can't believe it's a feature but it's something the super carry lacks) it also has 1 airbag, abs, ebd, rear parking sensors and aircon on the top spec model with the option of 5 or 7 seats.

I think this is a lot safer than those Bakkies loaded with kids in the back since this actually has seat belts and windows

This Changan is the closest thing we have to the Suzuki
surf4cars_used_cars_afz25247828_12895_changan_star_13_mini_van_7-seat_lux_1_200522.jpg