Swimming Pool - is it worth it?

biometrics

Honorary Master
There is no substitute for safety.
Two young kids passed away this week in my town due to drowning in swimming pools.
Of course. I got it for my cats. But soon realised it's too much effort to take off and reinstall for a quick swim. In any case the water wasn't heated so that was also a deterrent (plan was to add it though).

Bighit

Expert Member
Also in Cape Town, have a jojo to top up (and gutter running into pool, not once did i use municipal water. Have a pool blanket and roof heater. Water gets to about 33 in summer, and our swimming season lasted from 24 September till first week of May and we swam almost every day when we were at home. Well worth it for us.

Sepeng

Expert Member
If you have or plan on having children I'd probably say yes. I mean it's already there.

Lupus

Honorary Master
If you have or plan on having children I'd probably say yes. I mean it's already there.
Yup this, my son and his cousins, friends whatever used it non-stop pretty much from October till middle of April. Even now he sometimes wants to jump in.

Zyk1

Expert Member
About 6 years ago (at a previous place I owned), we removed our pool (6, x 4m) as we were just not using it.
We filled it up and put a grass carpet over it.
It became a usable area.
In total, cost us about R10k back then.

lived666

Executive Member
I drained mine years ago, too much hassle to maintain, best decision ever.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
I'm buying a house with a swimming pool.
Is it worth keeping the pool? Does it really add value to the house?
To me it seems more hassle than it's worth - cleaning, chemicals, water (I live in Cape Town), time. All for a few months a year when it's warm enough to swim in

I'm thinking of either breaking it apart and filling it in or possibly making it smaller.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Make it smaller if possible, raise a small ridge/step around the outside that you can sit on etc, in other words make it a feature rather than pool.
Less maintenance the better, less money on chemicals, electricity etc etc.
The real value in a house is the (a) kitchen and then (b) bathrooms. Nothing beats a well lit, open, carefully planned, kitchen. Rather spend there.
In C.T. we are never going to see an end to the water situation, and it will only get worse going forward, so a pool is not really a positive investment.