Switching from Android to Apple - What made you switch?

agustino

I don't know that much about Android anymore, I am fully in the Apple ecosystem now, for a few years already. It is just for that few times that I have to do something on my work pc. If there was just a way to airdrop to windows that would be great. I see there are a few alternative to this - will have to look into it.
Nothing new in Mobile tech

Only they are increasing Camera Capacity

Have you ever seen Phone with more tha 12 Cameras at the Back

Previous i was thinking about Tecno phones but all coys falls under the same category

ROFL:

Duke of Hazard

Missus is an Apple Fan, I prefer Samsung ( to a point where almost all my appliances are also Samsung too)

I tried her old iPhone out for a bit and found it clunky and un-intuitive coming from Samsung flavoured Android, she tried Huawei a few years back and had the same experience, she couldn't get used to it, sold it and got another iPhone which she still has.

Seems that if you're used to the one brand, it may be better to stick with it. They're slowly becoming the same anyway, both now have water resistance and wireless charging, AMOLED displays, and last I saw iOS UI is starting to look similar to Androids with an app drawer, Samsung comes with Link to PC which I understand is similar to something you'd find on a Mac, where you just drag photos off your phone and can take calls and use apps on the PC or tablet/phone/etc, I got Buds with my S21 and they connect seamlessly across my work S20 without ever being paired to it, you could lock your phone and pick up ypur tablet and continue off where you left off on your phone apparently but I no longer have a tablet to test this out, and now both brands are offering Amazing cameras with their own strengths over the other so what else is there apart from a preffered UI?

One thing I am curious about is that She said that she can't change her alarm tone, she can change it on a reminder or timer but the alarm tone is not changeable, I remember this being a thing with ringtone years ago, is she missing something? Latest software iPhone7, trying to talk her into getting a 12 or SE2 but she only just got herself a job after a real struggle.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Missus is an Apple Fan, I prefer Samsung ( to a point where almost all my appliances are also Samsung too)

I tried her old iPhone out for a bit and found it clunky and un-intuitive coming from Samsung flavoured Android, she tried Huawei a few years back and had the same experience, she couldn't get used to it, sold it and got another iPhone which she still has.

Seems that if you're used to the one brand, it may be better to stick with it. They're slowly becoming the same anyway, both now have water resistance and wireless charging, AMOLED displays, and last I saw iOS UI is starting to look similar to Androids with an app drawer, Samsung comes with Link to PC which I understand is similar to something you'd find on a Mac, where you just drag photos off your phone and can take calls and use apps on the PC or tablet/phone/etc, I got Buds with my S21 and they connect seamlessly across my work S20 without ever being paired to it, you could lock your phone and pick up ypur tablet and continue off where you left off on your phone apparently but I no longer have a tablet to test this out, and now both brands are offering Amazing cameras with their own strengths over the other so what else is there apart from a preffered UI?

One thing I am curious about is that She said that she can't change her alarm tone, she can change it on a reminder or timer but the alarm tone is not changeable, I remember this being a thing with ringtone years ago, is she missing something? Latest software iPhone7, trying to talk her into getting a 12 or SE2 but she only just got herself a job after a real struggle.

Alarm tone

caf557728df96a2012534ee039cb3464.jpg

Or am I missing something?

Dread789

Good evening

As a lifelong Android user I'm interested to know who here switch from Android to Apple and what was the reasons behind the switch?
I switched because I felt like a change have had android phones since the Samsung galaxy S3. Must say I really like the Iphone.

ECHLN

Got tired of being treated like a second class citizen when it came to apps and services, I wanted to try something new and the Apple eco-system seemed appealing.

phlux

Was tired of Samsung Tablets at the time, was due for an upgrade so went for the iPad Air 2 at the time. The simplicity of everything just working and not having slow-downs or crashes, so then got a 6S on contract 2 weeks later, replacing my Note5 at the time.

iOS just never had the system lockups, hangs or crashes that I became used to with Android. I realized there was a better & easier way to do things. No need to find a custom ROM that would be more stable and lighter weight than the Samsung Interface.

I was previously a heavy Android fanboy, but realized that the "perks" of Android I didn't really use. The full customization etc. I just wanted a device that would work.

6 (?) Years later and my wife is still using that same iPad Air 2. Yes it is slightly slower with the new iPadOS on it, but it still runs better than my fathers 2 year old Samsung Tablet.

Also, I have been wanting to move away from Google as a whole. iOS "appears" to be more privacy centric.

Lastly is the phone updates & security updates, I got tired of having to use a custom ROM on Android, to get the latest Android version or security update, because the SA Network Operators would take months to release a version for SA. iOS, its just there, as soon as they release it, the only delay in getting it would be my line speed being able to download the update.

Now I am full on in the Apple Ecosystem, missing only a handful of their devices to complete my lineup. I dont see me leaving it anytime soon.

Only reason I could see me leaving is if their whole thing about user privacy is 100% BS.

Dread789

Okay so a month on with the iphone, and I am loving it, coming from a samsung s9.
I must say there are alot of things I don’t miss on the android, mostly the UI and some of the annoying thing like needing to enter my password sometimes twice a day to unlock the phone because of knox and it locking me out of the fingerprint scanner, and iris scaner.
Restarting the phone cause it gets lagy.

So far with the iphone 12 I have now never restarted except for a software update and not having to clear apps and the phone is still smooth af, battery lief is better.
apple music is a big plus for me never liked the spottify app on android, emails, facetime and iMessage are added benefits to using the phone.

djbrendan

Expert Member
I'm in the same boat..Been on android for years and years. My work phone is a iPhone 6 ( but it's only calls and whatsapp, can't really take it for a decent test drive )

Due for an upgrade in a few months.. The iPhone 12 Pro has my attention. Well so does the Samsung 21 Ultra. ( I know the Samsung has an amazing screen refresh rate )

Going on +- price.

I can't really say that i've never liked my androids ( I can say LG was k4k ) But my Samsung's and Hauwei's were great. But i feel i want to try something else.. If i don't like it, fine! I'll sell it and settle the device and get a Android.

Someone said in my thread, similar thread to yours, "it is fine to try out something else. How else will you know what you like "

Can't see myself saying iPhone's are shyt if i've never had one for at least more than 6 months. Same goes for a bakkies, Ranger vs Hilux ( That's a topic on it's own :D :D )

I'm going to be honest, i want the Samsung 21 Ultra for the specs, but i want to give the iPhone 12 Pro a go. Leaning to the iPhone at this time, still, i have some research to do before i'm choosing
So ... Got my iPhone 12 Pro 128GB Pacific blue yesterday. Took a bit of setting up.

So far, can't say that i don't like it? That's a good thing. Loving the stainless steel feel and the back of the device feels great.

Camera is awesome, but my Note 10 has a great camera as well.

Love the speediness feel it offers, feels... snappier.
I do miss the more detailed settings of android though.

But, i still need to give a chance.

Bought it via credit and not contract ( done with that, month to month it is! )
Packed my Note 10 away. New owner one day should be very happy.

Any must-try or must-have apps that you all would suggest?

newby_investor

Expert Member
So after being exclusively an Android user, (mostly for economic reasons though, I have no ideological skin in the game - Androids are often cheaper than iDevices), I got myself an iPad on Carbonite the other day. I wanted a basic tablet that wasn't complete crap, and cheap android ones are crap, so a discount iPad seemed to be my only option. Entry-level one, 32GB Wifi only 8th-gen iPad. Nearly new, I thought I got a pretty good deal anyway.

There are a few things that are a bit of an adjustment, the gestures and settings etc are somewhat different. I like to think that I'm at least slightly tech-savvy so I have managed to figure everything out.

My short review is: it's fine. Does the job very well, doesn't draw attention to itself. It's not terribly exciting, but I'm getting older now and I don't really need that in my life anymore. It's really all I need in a device.

I'm not so sure that I'm completely sold on the "ecosystem" aspect - I can see value in it if you want that sort of thing, I don't personally. I do like the fact that I can opt out of most of the stuff. I want to read ebooks, browse the web, basic note-taking tasks, and for that it's very good.

seshy57

I don't know that much about Android anymore, I am fully in the Apple ecosystem now, for a few years already. It is just for that few times that I have to do something on my work pc. If there was just a way to airdrop to windows that would be great. I see there are a few alternative to this - will have to look into it.
do yourself a favor and download samsung flow on pc and your phone requires no account to setup and works flawlessly.Also,Ms your phone app is an alternative but you would need to login to use the app

shadow_man

Executive Member
Stupid fscking Android phones that don't actually use the additional SD card storage, when you tell them to...

phoneJunky

Executive Member
do yourself a favor and download samsung flow on pc and your phone requires no account to setup and works flawlessly.Also,Ms your phone app is an alternative but you would need to login to use the app
That was for me to do airdrop from my iphone to windows pc.

But yes Samsung does have stuff to compete. But stil, I would need to download something everytime I want to do it to a new pc

skeptic_SA

Executive Member
My neighbor is apparently also a micro penis sufferer. He bought a Ranger and an iPhone and says he feels much better about himself now.

Vorastra

Executive Member
There's only one thing that could get me to move over to Apple, and that's if they allow a one time mirror of all the apps bought on the Play Store, that are also available on the App Store.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Samsung made me switch. Had plenty of Android phones (mainly LG and Samsung) in the past and never really had any complaints until I got a Galaxy S10e. It just sucked at notifications, would just ignore them and then when I pick the phone up it goes crazy catching up on all the missed notification from hours ago.

Got annoyed and just bought an iPhone 11, had no issues with delayed notifications and the iOS is just smoother than Android in general.

agustino

There's only one thing that could get me to move over to Apple, and that's if they allow a one time mirror of all the apps bought on the Play Store, that are also available on the App Store.
This is the only reason that make you shif from android to apple