Switching to Prepaid Electricity - Experiences?

neoprema

Executive Member
Can someone share the process for switching one's house from postpaid to prepaid electricity?

I've got 0 experience with this as I came from a complex with levies. What is the process to get the meter installed? How do you cancel the "account" with Eskom and so forth? This is for a new property i'm getting.

Also, is there any cost-saving to prepaid or is it only that you can manage how much you use?

Matt91

Expert Member
As far as I know you have to register or apply for it and it can take a while, took my aunt and uncle three years after applying to finally get theirs installed - this was in Durban. Good luck

Paul_S

Executive Member
It depends very much on what pre-paid meter company you use and the municipality you live in.
In Tshwane post-paid and pre-paid electricity tariffs are identical for residential, single phase, 60A feeds as long as you get the pre-paid meter installed by the municipality and not another 3rd party (like some complexes do) where the 3rd party charges admin fees on top of the normal municipal tariffs.
Some people hate pre-paid meters because it forces them to keep money spare until nearly the end of the month in case a topup is required.
Personally I think pre-paid is a bit of a pain but it prevents billing errors where municipalities make a mistake and you end up with a years long dispute.