Sword Defence Systems have developed an unmanned rifle designed for four-legged robots

mylesillidge

Journalist
Robot dogs are getting guns

A quadrupedal robot showcased during the Association of United States Army's 2021 annual conference earlier this week came fitted with a gun.

The Sword Defence Systems' Special Purpose Unmanned Rifle (SPUR) is designed to be compatible with various robotic platforms.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
In another community I belong to people are crying about this. A bit unexpected as it is a US community, though very liberal, have no issue to post their weapon collections. It is seems mounting a 'sniper' on a robot is pushing some peoples over the edge.

People need to see the use cases here. These robots aren't hitbots.

The_David

This is how we all die.

Didnt black mirror do this episode? It didnt end well for us.

eg2505

Honorary Master
It didnt end well for us.
it never does,
but then again we get what we Deserved, by going too far and pushing the limits.
all it now needs to do is wipe humanity off the face of the Earth, with a few Mushroom Clouds and call it a day.

Supersoaker

Expert Member
In another community I belong to people are crying about this. A bit unexpected as it is a US community, though very liberal, have no issue to post their weapon collections. It is seems mounting a 'sniper' on a robot is pushing some peoples over the edge.

People need to see the use cases here. These robots aren't hitbots.
Don't you think the idea or the equipment itself could be stolen, criminals tend to adopt technology far quicker than the authorities.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Don't you think the idea or the equipment itself could be stolen, criminals tend to adopt technology far quicker than the authorities.
Well drone drug smuggling exists already, even right here in South africastan,
even during lockdown people used drones to deliver Booze.
so a Robot dog with a Gun on it, well, the problem is to get it into questionable ownership,

right now the only people who can buy the platform (Boston dynamics Spot), are Universities and labs, its not available to Joe public just yet.
when it does, I'm sure they will be all sorts of weird hacks for it,

if its strong enough, I actually think somebody will build a Chariot out of it and ride around on its back,
who knows what will happen next, but the min some cartel in Mexico buys it, then it gets interesting.

I mean a Stealthly Drug smuggling Robot, why the F*** not?

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Well drone drug smuggling exists already, even right here in South africastan,
even during lockdown people used drones to deliver Booze.
so a Robot dog with a Gun on it, well, the problem is to get it into questionable ownership,

right now the only people who can buy the platform (Boston dynamics Spot), are Universities and labs, its not available to Joe public just yet.

if its strong enough, I actually think somebody will build a Chariot out of it and ride around on its back,
who knows what will happen next, but the min some cartel in Mexico buys it, then it gets interesting.

I mean a Stealthly Drug smuggling Robot, why the F*** not?
When you think about it, the cartels have the financial resources to develop pretty much anything they choose.

eg2505

Honorary Master
When you think about it, the cartels have the financial resources to develop pretty much anything they choose.
very true, so something High tech like this, might just be in the possibility for them.
maybe its no longer just a prototype and is already out and about on the Mexico/US border.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

Yes, it is being sold to the public,

to quote,

Spot is intended for industrial and commercial use, by individuals trained to operate it in accordance with its user guide. This version is not intended for use in the home, or by children or others who cannot operate it responsibly. Spot is capable of incredibly robust locomotion; however, Spot should always be operated at least two meters away from people and shouldn’t be used in situations where a fall could result in injury to the operator or bystanders. It is your responsibility to ensure that Spot is used safely.

the keyword being 'intended' and not 'permissible'. The 'general' public may acquire a Spot.

Not exactly hacks, but there are many companies providing third-party add-ons. I have posted about some add-ons in other threads, most are enterprise-grade products.

The robot being used in the OP is not a Boston Dynamics robot, though this is now Hyundai x Boston Dynamics, but the product in the OP is by Ghost Robotics,

and they are not the only company with these products, there are others as well producing standard industrial producing robots, pack mules and dog-like robots like the one in question, amongst others. The US military already has employed robotic pack mules.

This isn't something people should be concerned with, these are all use cases, and putting a gun on one wouldn't make it a public thread. These aren't assassination bots. I mean, there are already armed aerial drones, some can be licenses to be used by the public in some places.