Symbian will only die in 2016 (sorry for the haters)

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
http://www.gsmarena.com/symbian_carla_and_donna_to_come_next_but_not_for_everyone-news-3394.php

At the Developer Day in Mexico, Nokia shed some light on the next two Symbian versions - Carla and Donna plus further information on the Symbian Belle update rollout.

Symbian Carla is intended for smartphones with a 1GHz processor or higher and will be released in late 2012 or early 2013. It is going to offer a new web browser, new widgets, lots of new NFC capabilities and Dolby Surround audio enhancement. The processor minimum requirement means all the Symbian^3 and Symbian Anna handsets (N8, C6-01, C7, E7, E6, X7-00) are not going to get this version

Symbian Donna will be exclusive to dual-core processors, but at the current release intervals, most probably we won't see it before the end of 2013 or the early 2014. We wonder how many cores the mobile processors will offer by then, but now we know Nokia's Symbian smartphones three years from now will have two cores. Well, this is just not right, but Nokia has always been good at optimizing the Symbian OS for far less capable hardware as the competition is using.

As far as the current Symbian Belle is concerned - Nokia X7-00, E6 and 500 are going to get the update until the end of this year, while the Symbian^3 (already updated to Anna) devices will receive it in Q1 2012. It seems Belle will be the last update for the Symbian^3 and Anna generation.

Nokia plans to abandon Symbian in 2016, so we guess there won’t be much left to see after the E(ve?) version. But the platform has at least four years to live, the new handsets and Symbian versions all have warm reception, so who knows how the things will turn out in the future.
Can't wait to lay my hands on the Nokia 701 :cool:

abzo

Honorary Master
What's the point? That's like getting married and telling her "BTW I'm going to divorce you in 4 years"

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Considering most people get new phones every two years this means you can still upgrade on Symbian at least twice.

Secondly you could also argue why should I buy a new car because in 4 years time they will have a new model. Or why should I install Firefox 12 today because in two months time there will be no support for it and everyone will be on Firefox 19.

abzo

Honorary Master
All I'm saying is that they wouldn't be abandoning it if it wasn't s#it. :whistling:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Good logic there buddy, considering the Android devices that will get ICS I can see that Google thinks a lot of the current Android devices are s#it.

Viva

Expert Member
Roux, I know you are very familiar with Symbian and trust that you've played around with Android on a few occasions. Do you honestly believe Symbian to be the superior OS? If so, can you give a few reasons?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
OK, here is a few : Symbian is way less resource intensive than other smart phone OSes. There is enough apps for it to do the things that matter. It usually comes on high quality hardware.

Superior OS? No, but a very competitive one, yes.

Elite Override

To be honest, I'd have to agree that Symbian is an excellent OS. I'd love an android, but symbian just works (for me at least) and it's quite lightweight.

It's sad to see it die.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Don't be sad, many OS iterations of fragmented android will die before Symbian does :p

Viva

Expert Member
OK, here is a few : Symbian is way less resource intensive than other smart phone OSes. There is enough apps for it to do the things that matter. It usually comes on high quality hardware.

Thanks, that sounds reasonable. I'm hopefully getting my first Android phone today after about 10 years with Nokia, so I'm quite curious to see for myself after some decent testing and usage.

Elite Override

Don't be sad, many OS iterations of fragmented android will die before Symbian does :p
True, Android versions are abandoned quite quickly once the new ones arrive. Many droids won't be upgraded to ICS. I think they should slow their release schedule slightly.

The fragmentation issue is a lot less severe than it was afaik.

The thing is just, new OSes seem so bloated. My old nokia e63 is more responsive than many new smartphones, and thats a tragedy.

ZAFluffyBunny

I don't agree. If you look at the spec of the new Symbian phones, it's clear that the new looks uses a lot of processing power.

Symbian is dying because of lack of community support. Android was the cheap alternative for People like SE and Samsung that use to make Symbian phones as well. So now it is only Nokia that is making Symbian phones.

Anything wrong with Symbian: No, it is a great OS. QT support makes app writing easy and I am sure we will see more new apps for Symbian coming.

Will it really be retired in 2016? Not if it is making money, that is a fact. But that been said, everything has a life cycle.... Not too long ago we were running DOS and Windows was a glorified menu :)

iDenTiTy

Expert Member
True, Android versions are abandoned quite quickly once the new ones arrive. Many droids won't be upgraded to ICS. I think they should slow their release schedule slightly.

The fragmentation issue is a lot less severe than it was afaik.

The thing is just, new OSes seem so bloated. My old nokia e63 is more responsive than many new smartphones, and thats a tragedy.
Yip.

Quite sad actually that a 3310 performs faster than the famed Galaxy S2.
Lol.
(I know the whole advancement issue etc. But still - makes one chuckle actually).

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
:wtf: 3310 is pre Series30, which is pre Series40 which is not a smartphone OS.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Yip.

Quite sad actually that a 3310 performs faster than the famed Galaxy S2.
Lol.
(I know the whole advancement issue etc. But still - makes one chuckle actually).
Can you publish your results? I'd love to know how you came to this conclusion.

Did you test Snake against Angry Birds?

Did you test an sms against Polaris Office?

GSM against 3G?

Start-up time, dialing time, what were the tests you did?

Or is the only thing sad about your post the fact that you spent money on an iPhone and you have to justify it by having a pop at Android at every opportunity?

Yep, sad indeed.

iDenTiTy

Expert Member
Can you publish your results? I'd love to know how you came to this conclusion.

Did you test Snake against Angry Birds?

Did you test an sms against Polaris Office?

GSM against 3G?

Start-up time, dialing time, what were the tests you did?

Or is the only thing sad about your post the fact that you spent money on an iPhone and you have to justify it by having a pop at Android at every opportunity?

Yep, sad indeed.
It was a joke Spizz.

Though, the fact that when I ued a 3310, 3510 - I never had to wait for the phone to do something.
I pushed a button, and the result happened immediately.
My Android (S2), did have moments of lag.
I don't own an iPhone. Where did you get that?