Synology DS220j NAS Review

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Afternoon Folks, i was one the lucky people to get my hands on one , first review of a product so here goes....

The Grand Opening

The unit was neatly packaged, easily removed, with no silly stickers holding everything closed. Provided manual covered in detail the opening of the unit ( not the one needs it). Included was the power supply, lan cable & and the screws on will need to secure the drives. A nice touch was a small bracket for using 2.5” drives. My biggest gripe was the supplied round 2 pin plug.
1596108429943.png
1596108444201.png

The First impression

Working in the recycling industry comes with some interesting challenges, such as dealing with a long line of Old redundant equipment on a daily bases that other companies stop using, refurbishing them, and extending the life. One tends to lose sight that technology moves along. Such has been the case with an old Western digital mycloud, and an even older Seagate 2 bay NAS which we make use of for backups.

1596108469093.png
1596108482228.png

The Setup

Separating the 2 halves reveals the two SATA connectors for the drives. A very organized enclosure, well ventilated with a single fan and ventilation. Next was the configuration, very easy to follow steps, a far cry from what I am used to working with, in a good way, from the features such as the mail station, file syncing, and right down to hosting Wordpress site on it. For a small site of less than 10 users, I’m really toying with the idea of a bigger unit to replace our old SBS server.

1596108514538.png

1596108529016.png

Being able to create a link to my old NAS was a bonus, and made moving data between the two seamless. Staring the process, and closing the window off, left the unit to copy everything.

The Pros
  • Small footprint
  • Silent
  • Easy setup
  • Feature rich
  • Access from anywhere, easily
The Cons
  • As mentioned , the round 2 pin plug, it’s a pet peeve
  • The iOS apps I find a bit hit and miss, it does connect each time ( put in the same password multiple times to connect)
  • No Single mobile app, have to install a app for each part you wish to use

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Nice review. I have quite a few Synology drives out there.
They are rock solid.
Thank you :)

yeah, im dead keen on this as an experiment now, sbs2008 is old, but it works. These seem like a solid replacement plan,

LinuxMan

Expert Member
Thank you :)

yeah, im dead keen on this as an experiment now, sbs2008 is old, but it works. These seem like a solid replacement plan,
They literally have everything you need from folder sharing with full user permissions, user groups, backup, raid functionality. Just lock them down when setting them up (Tighten security settings).

MrR

Expert Member
Nice review.
Would definitely recommend Synology to anyone looking for a SOHO NAS. Good build and has been reliable.

After a number of years my DS218 and DS416 is still going strong.

I see from the picture that the 220's memory can also be upgraded; a must if you use it as more than just a storage medium.

I've got a couple of Docker packages running on the 218 and have also used it as a Kodi/Plex box in the past. Worked and still works solidly.

Haven't gone through any reviews of the 220 yet, but would be keen to see how the performance stacks up to the 218.

Technology aside, you also buy into the Synology DSM ecosystem, which has a number of great features itself. Found it less of a mission than setting something up like FreeNAS or OMV (stability and reliability wise), yet still being feature rich.

Definitely a +1 to locking DSM down when setting up DSM for the first time. There are a number of guides out there on how to harden and lock down the security configurations and there's also the Synology Security Advisor utility that you can use as guidance as well.

Security risk aside, Synology QuickConnect is a great feature as well. This allows you to access your NAS from anywhere and on any device (hence the security risk) by logging in to the Synology QuickConnect portal and accessing your files. It's your own personal cloud.

Hemps

Honorary Master
Nice review.
Would definitely recommend Synology to anyone looking for a SOHO NAS. Good build and has been reliable.

After a number of years my DS218 and DS416 is still going strong.

I see from the picture that the 220's memory can also be upgraded; a must if you use it as more than just a storage medium.

I've got a couple of Docker packages running on the 218 and have also used it as a Kodi/Plex box in the past. Worked and still works solidly.

Haven't gone through any reviews of the 220 yet, but would be keen to see how the performance stacks up to the 218.

Technology aside, you also buy into the Synology DSM ecosystem, which has a number of great features itself. Found it less of a mission than setting something up like FreeNAS or OMV (stability and reliability wise), yet still being feature rich.

Definitely a +1 to locking DSM down when setting up DSM for the first time. There are a number of guides out there on how to harden and lock down the security configurations and there's also the Synology Security Advisor utility that you can use as guidance as well.

Security risk aside, Synology QuickConnect is a great feature as well. This allows you to access your NAS from anywhere and on any device (hence the security risk) by logging in to the Synology QuickConnect portal and accessing your files. It's your own personal cloud.

+1, the software and available options to backup, sync, replication, all so easy I don't have any of these units but if I had the cash I'd def buy.
The interface is fast and slick, easy setup and restore was super quick.