Synology NAS reviewers needed - You get to keep the device

Status
Not open for further replies.

P3wP3w

Yes definitely, missed out on the opportunity to review the last one.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
I'm in. Can test it in a corporate environment.

Dont even bother. The 220j has raid and failed miserably the moment you have loads of people accessing it. Single user is fine. 5 people accessing opening large files at same time... go make some coffee.

Tinuva

The Magician
Dont even bother. The 220j has raid and failed miserably the moment you have loads of people accessing it. Single user is fine. 5 people accessing opening large files at same time... go make some coffee.
The 220+ became slow when sabnzbd started unpacking downloaded files over 4GB in size. After upgrading it to 12GB memory that problem went away. So is probably just a memory issue when caching the file allocation tables when little memory available.

McGuywer

Executive Member
I would be very keen.
If not, I will have to startup a old Ubuntu server and install the drives in that.
At the moment, my drives are just gathering dust on the cupboard.
Having a 200Mbps line would also help to test remote access to the NAS.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
The 220+ became slow when sabnzbd started unpacking downloaded files over 4GB in size. After upgrading it to 12GB memory that problem went away. So is probably just a memory issue when caching the file allocation tables when little memory available.

Exactly, the 512mb is even worse at it.

We got a DS220J to use/test as a file server for company. While I moved the data and that the 1Gb network and Seagate IronWolf drives rocked, the moment it went to full production mode it fell over horribly. Needless to say did not even last a day. Work in a firm that use CAD, CRD and EPS files.

Same device as a media/simple file server at home, best thing since sliced bread. NFS/ZeroTier and build in Web apps rocks. Oh and is a must for anyone using Xbox. Kodi, dont work with well with PC & Windows file share but streams 4K media files via NFS of the device like butter.

Last edited:

Pulserider

I have a few bigger Synology devices that I work with at my company on a daily basis. I would like to have my own little unit at home.

I am willing to do a review if that chance will be pass on to me.

Neuk_

Executive Member
I must be honest and admit I would be a complete noob at setting up and using one but I am game to give it a try and write a review.

ghostRgg

Expert Member
After tweaking with custom storage solutions for months (like working with 3 laptops combined into one using proxmox and unraid, wouldn't mind reviewing one at all. The DS21j is not a large NAS but it could work for a whole family as a single backup solution. I know most families and users just want a simple, single solution and not some wired hobby mess that is my current solution.

ADrunkTeddyBear

Pretty keen to test it out. I have a spare 6TB laying around. I wanna try running plex on it and a few docker containers and see how much it can handle

Would also be keen to test it out against a Pi nas, and a home made NAS with a 6th gen i5, running Proxmox

Supervan II

Expert Member
Pick me!
Pick me!
Pick me!
Pick me!

(I have 2 x 1TB drives & 1 x 2TB drive that needs it)

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I would be happy to do a full review on a unit. They are capable of some interesting things aside from being a NAS which would be cool to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.