TA TA Tazz (Toyota to stop production of the Tazz)

AdLo

Expert Member
http://free.financialmail.co.za/06/0505/business/abus.htm

Toyota SA is about to halt production of the Tazz, the entry-level car that has been the mainstay of its market leadership for the past 10 years. Since the car was launched in 1996, Toyota has sold more than 200 000 units.

Toyota SA president Johan van Zyl confirms the company will stop producing the Tazz at its Prospecton, Durban, assembly plant at the end of June.
:( What a **** announcement to make since IMO the Tazz is the only car that has a unique South African identity.

Me adds the Japs to my hate list.

tibby.dude

Executive Member
About bloody time they put that dinosaur out on the scrap heap ... Citi Golf and Siyaya Minibus taxi must go as well.

Ekhaatvensters

Executive Member
So what should people looking for a very good, reliable cheap car buy then tibby?
Tazzes are really good cars, and like Adlo said they are at least a bit uniquley seffrican, and have sold extremley well. They are the most common car on the road i think.

Dont see why they would want to scrap the car at all..

tibby.dude

Executive Member
Ekhaatvensters said:
So what should people looking for a very good, reliable cheap car buy then tibby?
Kia Picanto or Diahatsu Sirion ... modern ... better looking and more importantly far safer.

The motoring world have moved on since the Tazz was designed and built in the 80's ... all they did since then was add new colour schemes and different seat fabrics and new headlights/grill.

Word is that we might be getting a 1L Yaris model to replace it.

tibby.dude

Executive Member
Ekhaatvensters said:
Dont see why they would want to scrap the car at all..
Toyota Japan wants them to export the Hilux and Corolla overseas and they need more capacity and since they are the only Toyota factory in the world still making this very old model .... the tooling which they use to produce the Tazz with is difficult to maintain and rather expensive.

Easier to produce the same models as Toyota is producing worldwide.

BTTB

Driving down the M5 in Cape Town every third or fourth car is a Toyota and often a Tazz.
Sometimes the density is higher with groupings of two to three toyota's in a row.
The only cars that have ever been stolen outside our business was Toyota.
One was a bakkie and the other was a Tazz or Corolla.

Ta Ta Tazz.

JungleFacedJake

tibby.dude said:
About bloody time they put that dinosaur out on the scrap heap ... Citi Golf and Siyaya Minibus taxi must go as well.
tibby.dude said:
Kia Picanto or Diahatsu Sirion ... modern ... better looking and more importantly far safer.
Aw you are NASTY! I believe in Citi Golfs - cheap and reliable - and they are made with motors and other parts used in their other more modern cars these days. You would prefer some Korean crap?????
:eek:

tibby.dude

Executive Member
JungleFacedJake said:
You would prefer some Korean crap?????
:eek:
All cars are reliable even a TATA ... no manufacturer would be able to sell a car in this day and age if they did not make a good product ... times have moved on since the Valiant.

Also the Picanto and Sirion has the benefit of stringent crash testing laws in place overseas (not in S.A) and advances in automotive engineering since 1980 when the Golf Mark I and Tazz was designed.

I love my family too much than to have them risk their lives driving such old crud.

JungleFacedJake

tibby.dude said:
Also the Picanto and Sirion has the benefit of stringent crash testing laws in place overseas (not in S.A) and advances in automotive engineering since 1980 when the Golf Mark I and Tazz was designed.

I love my family too much than to have them risk their lives driving such old crud.
Well you must be a midget then, to even fit in one of those funny Korean thingies. I'll stick with the old crud - at least it stays running and you can get parts if they wear out.

Like most Korean stuff ( LG, Samsung ) it sounds good, looks good, but is actually crappy.

tibby.dude

Executive Member
JungleFacedJake said:
Like most Korean stuff ( LG, Samsung ) it sounds good, looks good, but is actually crappy.
You obviously know very little about consumer electronics then.

Samsung is the world's number 1 supplier of consumer electronics and their brand is amongst the top 20 in this regard ... they are also the leading manufacturers of LCD panels along with LG-Phillips and leading supplier of flash memory worldwide.

Also the new iPod Video range will be using a Samsung designed decoder chip.

So perhaps you would like to share your extensive expertise all things Korean with Steve Jobs then ???.

Captain Beer

Executive Member
I don't know. I drive a Citi Golf and have also driven a Daewoo Matiz. In the Daewoo I have to take my shoes off so I don't hit two pedals at the same time. And I can actually feel the clutch in the Citi. If I had to get a new car I would rather save and replace it with a yaris or polo playa. Don't like these ultra compact things.

JungleFacedJake

tibby.dude said:
You obviously know very little about consumer electronics then.
Probably know as much as you - no... maybe more since you are a Korean fan!!

tibby.dude said:
Samsung is the world's number 1 supplier of consumer electronics and their brand is amongst the top 20 in this regard ... they are also the leading manufacturers of LCD panels along with LG-Phillips and leading supplier of flash memory worldwide.
Oh they can make chips and components all right. Its when they make consumer devices that the trouble starts. I rue the day I bought a Samsung VCR - wierd human interface and strange remote behaviour. The TV as well - I should have learned by then. Endless hassles with Samsung CD drives in computers, though their hard drives have lasted even if they are strangely sluggish.

The fact that some company is the world's leading supplier is more an indication of volume than quality. But then you are a self-styled expert and would know that.

I still say they are cheap crap.

sludge

Expert Member
Erm... JungleFacedJake, Daihatsu is a japanese firm and they are 50% owned by toyota. Thus they use high quality toyota trim and common parts. The Sirion incidentally has the exact same engine as the Yaris.

And i think toyota has some Aygo, or something like that lined up to replace the
tazz. (looks a lot like like the yaris, don't know if it is indeed the same car with different names in diffirent countries, but it has a 1L engine, so maybe it's a 1L yaris, maybe not)

Captain Beer

Executive Member
JungleFacedJake said:
Endless hassles with Samsung CD drives in computers

I still say they are cheap crap.
A few years ago I had about 30 of those 24x Max Samsung CD-Roms lying in my garage. Pure crap :cool:

JungleFacedJake

sludge said:
Erm... JungleFacedJake, Daihatsu is a japanese firm and they are 50% owned by toyota. Thus they use high quality toyota trim and common parts.
I stand corrected. Kia is Korean. All I know of a Daihatsu is one that smashed into my Citi Golf from behind in a bad storm at speed. Cost me R5k to fix the Citi Golf. They wrote off the Daihatsu. So I'll steer clear of those too.

sludge

Expert Member
ROFL!
Ja, Kia and hyundia (spelling) are of the same blood, hyundai sort of owns kia ATM.
I actually went to look at a daihatsu sirion yesterday with my mom, cause her citi golf was written off in an accident most modern cars could have handled with ease! Anyway, I was really impressed with the build quality on the sirion, and the engine! I also looked at a proton savvy, it wass utter crap, massive gaps between dash fittings, but a nice 1.2L renault derived engine. The kia's was not that bad IMHO, really, not nice to look at, but safe and practical cars, but i would never drive one myself, cause of the looks. :D

Anyway, I'm sure toyota WILL fill the gap of the Tazz with something better for the same price, they probably spent a massive amount on maintaining all those old machines that were producing the tazz, as tibbydude said.

Highflyer_GP

Honorary Master
The Sirion is the ugliest thing since Mick Jagger. And driving uphill in 1st or 2nd gear must really suck too

sludge

Expert Member
Angellus said:
Dont think we will get a 1l Yaris. My bet is on the Toyota Aygo.
http://www.aygo.co.uk/aygo/
Ya, i remembered something like this, i think they played soccer with it on top gear once. I also think they will replace it with this, and if you look at the yaris pricing, they will probs bring this car to sa for about the same price as the tazz. The tazz prices are from R74000 to R93000 so they will probably fit in the higher part of this bracket.

HighflyerGP, the sirion is indeed damn ugly, but it has the same engine as the yaris, so it's not that bad an engine.

@supersunbird: uno FTW!!!!!!!!! :D