TA TA Tazz (Toyota to stop production of the Tazz)

tibby.dude

Executive Member
JungleFacedJake said:
They wrote off the Daihatsu. So I'll steer clear of those too.
It is called crumple zones ... the modern monoque of a car is designed these days to absorb the energy forces that otherwise would have been acting upon the poor occupants.

But then I pay car insurance for a reason and would rather have an accident in a Daihatsu than a Citi Golf or Uno.

Around my neck of the woods there is a lot of crosses with always fresh flowers at various dodgy intersections with photo's of young lads who were killed in car accidents most likely driving these economical reliable junk like the CitiGolf or Tazz.

I sometimes wonder if they would have been alive today with a modern car fitted with ABS , traction control and airbags.

nocilah

Banned
tibby.dude said:
I sometimes wonder if they would have been alive today with a modern car fitted with ABS , traction control and airbags.
like a Diahatsu? :rolleyes:

kingmonty

Expert Member
JungleFacedJake said:
LOL!

Crumple zones, shyte build quality, whatever....
Your ignorance amuses. I actually agree with tibby on this one (the whole forum can relaxe, I'll find something to disagree on him with in due time I'm sure). Citigolf is a crap car - The design is aged, it is not ecomomical, and crucially - it is not safe. Citis aren't fitted with basic safety features which are considered standard in any of the other marques, including every better golf and polo and whatever other VW range available. It really upsets me that safety costs more money, that's why the citi golf is not fitted with safety features, whereas evey other *better* golf is fitted with airbags and abs and this and that and whatever else. Why? Because people are willing to pay a premium for safety. If we actually had an SABS worth its salt, then the Tazz and Citi and other similar cars would have been decommissioned ages ago. Toyota is very smart, they don't bring out a new model or variant of the same cars every year or two: they facelift it slightly or change the trim and sell it for more money. This also protects the resale value, but the problem with this money making scheme is they are artifically pushing the price up while not giving the consumer more safety.

Honestly, I would never buy a Yaris. It is an overpriced matchbox that has no appeal in its current price range. Cute car, but way overpriced. Actually, every single car in every segment is overpriced, but the small car segment is raping the consumer. We are paying huge money (consider what you really pay for a car on the standard HP finance terms) and compare that to what folks virtually anywhere else in the world pays.

I think South African's should put pressure on the SABS, at least if we have to pay the premium for everything, let us get the premium quality we in reality are paying for.

JungleFacedJake

kingmonty said:
Your ignorance amuses. I actually agree with tibby on this one (the whole forum can relaxe, I'll find something to disagree on him with in due time I'm sure). Citigolf is a crap car - The design is aged, it is not ecomomical, and crucially - it is not safe. Citis aren't fitted with basic safety features which are considered standard in any of the other marques, including every better golf and polo and whatever other VW range available.
Yours does too. OK no airbags and ABS, but it does have *gasp* crumple zones, safety cell, and a whole lot of other cack ( do a search you'll find it ). Your other touted safety features are nice I admit, but probably are only going to help you in 5-10% of typical SA accidents. Some of these tiny narrow light short-wheelbase things they are selling are waaaaay more like coffins than the Citi Golf. I mean look at that Ka thing - looks like a stunted frog about to jump! When a taxi hits that you'll be toast however many airbags it might have!

I don't buy the stuff you say about the SABS either. This is a third world country - we are at more personal risk than other countries where namby-pamby govts over protect their citizens. What we need are inexpensive cars for a poor population. If that means a bit of risk, such are larf as they say in the classics.

bwana

MyBroadband
JungleFacedJake said:
What we need are inexpensive cars for a poor population. If that means a bit of risk, such are larf as they say in the classics.
Question is why are cars here so expensive? How come you can buy the same car in the UK for half the price that you find it for here?

Citi Golfs & Tazz - they wouldn't be allowed on the roads of many countries. Ask VW and Toyota why we're paying so much for second rate cars.

kingmonty

Expert Member
JungleFacedJake said:
I don't buy the stuff you say about the SABS either. This is a third world country - we are at more personal risk than other countries where namby-pamby govts over protect their citizens. What we need are inexpensive cars for a poor population. If that means a bit of risk, such are larf as they say in the classics.
In terms of cars, South Africa is no less a third world country than Australia. Yet we pay well more for our cars than most of the rest of the world? You don't seem to get my point. The SABS is supposed to guarantee that products available to South African consumers meet at least some level of quality. If this was done, these cars would have been taken off the market ages ago. Secondly, this government does not over protect its citizens - but that is a topic all on its own. Finally, South Africa has one of the highest road-death rates in the world. The vast majority of folks dying are involved in car accidents where one or all vehicles involved are either unroadworthy or lacking the bare essential safety features required by almost all European countries in their cars. IMHO, safety is non-negotiable, if a vehicle sold in this country has been taken off the road in another country, then that should be good enough to stop selling it here.

JungleFacedJake

kingmonty said:
In terms of cars, South Africa is no less a third world country than Australia.
Having done some searching, surprisingly you might be right in terms of models and average ages. But SA needs more basic affordable cars given the comparative poverty of the country - ones which don't have to have every modern feature including excessive safety ones.

kingmonty said:
Yet we pay well more for our cars than most of the rest of the world?
Agreed that that is criminal. But they are protecting a subsidised industry that we taxpayers support.

kingmonty said:
You don't seem to get my point. The SABS is supposed to guarantee that products available to South African consumers meet at least some level of quality. If this was done, these cars would have been taken off the market ages ago.
Pretty well all new cars here meet good quality levels. Except maybe those Dacias they once sold. That does not change my opinion about these little lightweight deathtraps.

kingmonty said:
IMHO, safety is non-negotiable, if a vehicle sold in this country has been taken off the road in another country, then that should be good enough to stop selling it here.
Which particular ones of those we have been talking about have been "taken off the road" elsewhere? Sources? Methinks the only thing stopping models being sold are market forces.

rwenzori

Honorary Master
kingmonty said:
The SABS is supposed to guarantee that products available to South African consumers meet at least some level of quality. If this was done, these cars would have been taken off the market ages ago.
"These cars" presumably being the little Korean ones?

JungleFacedJake

rwenzori said:
"These cars" presumably being the little Korean ones?
LOL

Must be the Protons, Kias, Daewoos, Tatas, Mahindras, other eastern crap - even that funny Jap Micra !!!

:D