Tablet market continues to slide as fewer people buy

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Tablet market continues to slide as fewer people buy

The global tablet market has declined year-over-year for the 16th quarter in a row, indicating that consumers are buying fewer tablets.

According to research from the International Data Corporation (IDC), the worldwide tablet market declined 8.6% in the third quarter of 2018, with global shipments falling to 36.4 million.

skimread

Honorary Master
I really like those detachable tablets Like the Surface Pro, Surface Book, iPad Pro & Thinkpad X1 tablet. However they are so damn expensive. Much more than a normal laptop.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Yeah... Normal tablets just don't appeal to me at all anymore..

I have a Surface Pro for work, and its epic actually...

Lupus

Honorary Master
Why would people carry two devices that do similar things? Just because one has a larger screen? My old 5 year old Sony was only used to watch Netflix when the wife was asleep, as it gradually died I'm like hmmm now I've lost my netflix watcher.

owl

I still prefer to use a tablet to read magazines and and in bed browsing.

Mampara

I also like using my tablet in bed for reading and catching up on latest trends but I don't know why most Android manufacturers place entry level hardware in it.

sandwitch

For computer stuff I use my laptop - the bigger screen is more comfortable but for reading I use an ereader because it's easier on the eyes. Tablets don't serve a function for me.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I really like those detachable tablets Like the Surface Pro, Surface Book, iPad Pro & Thinkpad X1 tablet. However they are so damn expensive. Much more than a normal laptop.
I don't consider those the same as your mainstream tablets.

The problem with tablets is input - I think humans like the tactile feel of buttons. When you get a keyboard for a tablet the device can quickly become too lightweight for most productivity use beyond email and browsing. The gap between a device for normal productivity and one that is portable for on-the-go mails/browsing is filled by smartphones.

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Yeah... Normal tablets just don't appeal to me at all anymore..

I have a Surface Pro for work, and its epic actually...
I used to have a Surface Pro as well, was great, however I have a Dell 5290 now, which is greaterer :)

Fro

You get cheaper options but they won't have the same performance or build quality, obviously.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I used to have a Surface Pro as well, was great, however I have a Dell 5290 now, which is greaterer :)

Of course there are better options out there now..

I would love to get my hands on a Lenovo X1 Carbon... but I have to wait for the next hardware cycle...

skimread

Honorary Master
Fro said:
I would love to get my hands on a Lenovo X1 Carbon... but I have to wait for the next hardware cycle...
X1 Carbon isn't a detachable tablet. It's a normal laptop just with thin body

Last edited: