Tablet PCs predicted to cannibalise netbook and notebook sales in 2011

greg0205

Honorary Master
Tablet PCs predicted to cannibalise netbook and notebook sales in 2011

Canalys predicts a 14% growth in the PC market for 2011 mainly thanks to pad shipments, but also says pads will steal netbook and notebook sales

Already happening... Dell's sales overtook Acer's sales in Q4 last year, not because Dell sold more, rather because Acer sold fewer netbooks... 12,9% fewer in fact. Seems people are choosing iPads instead. http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Desktops-a...-Apple-iPad-Grabs-No-2-Spot-from-Acer-305394/

MVGL

I still think that Ipads and the rest of the tablets are toys at the moment. They cannot do a fraction of what a Notebook ot Decent Desktop PC can. But hey, as people buy them, they will demand more and so they will grow.

Have an Ipad too but only use it when I travel. Find working on Office like applications a complete waste of Time using "Notes & Numbers".

Crawfish

I only see tablets taking the majority when windows brings out a tablet os like windows 8 :whistling: , windows is still the most popular PC os until that changes i dont fore see tablets replacing laptops.

Just my 2c

fredeb

I played with a Samsung tablet the other day , running Android , seemed really cool and user friendly . Said device worked as a phone and had a camera on the back and front . Mainsteam users will gobble thes up like hotcakes . My neighbour showed me the one he had purchased , he was cruising round the OS effortlessly for an over-60 guy .

TJ99

Honorary Master
I still think that Ipads and the rest of the tablets are toys at the moment. They cannot do a fraction of what a Notebook ot Decent Desktop PC can. But hey, as people buy them, they will demand more and so they will grow.

+1

Nice toys, sure, but toys. (referring to these new ones running phone Operating Systems.)

Netbook sales might decline yes, because they were sort of the same thing, but there's no way in hell most people (myself included) would swap their laptops for a giant phone. Not yet anyways.

Vincent_Thorn

It's just a sh*t throw. They WANT it to be, but there is not so much fools to buy A5 box just to slide with fingers. Notebook is still the best choice from any side.

Point.IT

I still maintain that e-readers, as in the kindle etc and the other tablets to a lesser degree are just a nine-day-wonder, so to speak. If I count just twenty people out and about with kindles by the end of June I'll happily eat my words. Price wise, tablets can't offer a fraction of what a simmilarly priced laptop of the same size can offer. If you're going to have to carry a bag around just for your tablet/kindle, why not just have a proper laptop? I could quite comfortably read an ebook on my Desire HD or 10" laptop if need be, while being able to use proper Windows or OSX programs.

xera

Expert Member
I still maintain that e-readers, as in the kindle etc and the other tablets to a lesser degree are just a nine-day-wonder, so to speak. If I count just twenty people out and about with kindles by the end of June I'll happily eat my words. Price wise, tablets can't offer a fraction of what a simmilarly priced laptop of the same size can offer. If you're going to have to carry a bag around just for your tablet/kindle, why not just have a proper laptop? I could quite comfortably read an ebook on my Desire HD or 10" laptop if need be, while being able to use proper Windows or OSX programs.

If the kindle and other ebook readers are just a 9 day wonder, then why spend R2K on something that can only read books, when you could spend a bit more and get a iPad or tablet?

Kindle in SA seems more overpriced than the iPad.