k@vi

Another company that is silent on this front is HP. There has been no news on a South African release of HP’s TouchPad tablet, which is based on the webOS platform they acquired from Palm.
:confused:

Saw this at the HP store this week. 32Gb WiFi only version with a retail price over R7000.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Very poor HP TouchPad sales in the US might bring it to SA. HP is desperate to find willing buyers and after many discount attempts the US market failed to bite. HP must now look elsewhere.

The PlayBook needs a substantial update to attract substantial attention. That is apparently on the way. I would not mind owning one to be honest. I believe QNX has a bright future if only RIM can get through the current storm.

I love my iPad to bits, but it is in my nature to try new things. An Android ICS tablet will most likely be my next stop on the road to gadgetopia.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Next year will be the year of the Windows 8 tablet made by Nokia. If it uses the design concepts of the N9 I will want one for sure.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Saw this at the HP store this week. 32Gb WiFi only version with a retail price over R7000.

You sure it was a webOS device and not Windows 7? Which HP store did you see it in (I would love to follow up on this)?

No word from Nokia?

Nothing about tablets, no. I am looking forward to the N9, though (which the US isn't getting at all, it seems).

ernstcomplete

Almost but not quite entirely unlike 10.1

I must just mention that the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 that was blocked from sale in Europe and Australia and that is sold currently in the US is not the same version as the one available in SA. We've got the 10.1v which was the original design showcased at CES this year, before Samsung decided it needed to be thinner to compete with the iPad 2.

Also, my trusty Acer Iconia Tab A500 is never mentioned and that's been available at Incredible for months.

k@vi

You sure it was a webOS device and not Windows 7? Which HP store did you see it in (I would love to follow up on this)?

I'm quite sure it was the webOS. It was at the Sandton City HP store.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
I must just mention that the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 that was blocked from sale in Europe and Australia and that is sold currently in the US is not the same version as the one available in SA. We've got the 10.1v which was the original design showcased at CES this year, before Samsung decided it needed to be thinner to compete with the iPad 2.

Actually Samsung have now launched the non-V 10.1 and Vodacom has stopped selling the 10.1v in favour of the 10.1. Samsung should really have thought of a better naming convention than retroactively renaming their device (and Vodacom should not have been advertising with the incorrect name).

Also, my trusty Acer Iconia Tab A500 is never mentioned and that's been available at Incredible for months.

tablet-pcs-still-coming-to-sa-in-2011 :wtf:

Also: The Iconia was mentioned in a previous comparison article. Acer launched that device so quietly in SA, so I'm not actually sure when it launched.

I've not had an opportunity to use one, but I hear good things about it - including the fact that it's relatively inexpensive. Are Acer keeping the device up to date? Which version of Android is it running now?

biometrics

Honorary Master
I'd like to see a poll on how many tablet owners still use it a month after buying it and how often.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
I'd like to see a poll on how many tablet owners still use it a month after buying it and how often.

I cannot imagine a tablet owner not using it anymore after one month, six months, or 12 months. I use my iPad every day in so many ways that it is a critical part of my digital life now. Anyone into photography will quickly find it indispensable, to name one example. Cool editing tools on a large screen on the go.

Big Sub-Zero

I cannot imagine my day without my Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1v ...... The other day I drove 40km back to my house after I realised I left it at home.

madtza

Read an article that Blackberry were looking at launching a 4.3 Inch phone instead of a 10 Inch follow up to the Plabook. I think was also mentioned on here.

Response from my G+ post:
Honestly, I think this is the right move. I'm one of those people that's still not sold on the whole tablet thing. My phone is also sitting at 4.3 inches and more than sufficient for most applications. Fairly big for a phone but also portable enough for me to carry around. I'm really interested to see where this tab industry goes. Will the iPad still be the preferred device/no.1 selling in 5yrs time? Maybe...but with the amount of other platforms flooding the space(giving the customer choice & cheaper products), I reckon they'll be reduced to a niche market(like their PCs/Notebooks...which I'm a fan of). Sooner or later, one of these other companies is bound to catch on. Either that or they're(Apple) going to have to compete with a variety of products or reinvent the whole idea, AGAIN! If that fails then I see them moving into another industry(if they still want to keep them dollars rolling)...gaming or maybe even cameras?

Just my thoughts, looking at the way things are going.

Elimentals

Honorary Master

I think you will find the ones that dont use it past the 1st month have already sold it.

Personally I love my tablet, and use it no less than the day I bought it, in fact I use it far more than the 1st month.

hackerjargon

Interestingly, I saw couple of months back a few tablets (Can't remember the makes/models, although I know the Motorola Xoom was among them) at the Boksburg Incredible Connection Retail Store (Close to Hifi Corp) when I was looking for an ipad dock cable and just quickly browsed though (the one guy tried selling me an ipad 1 at that stage since the ipad 2 came out and it was on special (wifi version).

Having been there a while back, no trace of any of them as they seemed to have been taken off shelf (or demo floor) due to them not being officially released yet. I even remember a double tablet (second screen can be used as keyboard, running Win7 from Acer 'Think it was also an 'Iconia model' but was also not available in SA at that time yet) but this, like the others were no where to be found.

Last edited:

hackerjargon

I cannot imagine a tablet owner not using it anymore after one month, six months, or 12 months. I use my iPad every day in so many ways that it is a critical part of my digital life now. Anyone into photography will quickly find it indispensable, to name one example. Cool editing tools on a large screen on the go.

I use my BlackBerry playbook almost once a or so (but carefully using it and I'm scared of to drop it, so protecting it as much I can untill I get an 'OttherBox' protector for it here in SA or something, as I had the unfortunate experience a while back with my Android (luckily a cheap-ish) tablet, having it not even fall 10cm of the floor and the touch screen damaged. Also working night shift at work, I don't bother too much having it at work at present so the usage will change in the coming months as I move towards being more mobile mobile than having to get my 13inc MacBook out all the time.

There has been times where I've only used it after 2 days or so. Since the tablet cost me a pretty penny, I would love to get insurance for it at some stage too.

Last edited: