Tablets and LED screens already stolen from Gauteng school

R13...

Honorary Master
They must have known the equipment would get stolen so they ought to have started with securing the school before laying the equipment in the laps of criminals.

Nick333

Honorary Master
It always gets me how surprised they are when this happens. Shame, probably stole their brains a good while back as well.

They really just don't live in the same country as us, these politicians. They seem to think that spending more money is the key to solving every problem as opposed to spending money more wisely. More, better, qualified teachers should be the priority not high-value, highly portable (easily stolen) technology in our crime ridden society.

Kornhole

Blackburn Fan
Do you know how much stuff goes missing from universities(tech equipment etc)? Work recently installed CCTV cameras at one :/

chewiesw

Expert Member
Let me guess nothing was done (or will be) to uniquely identify these tablets ( or other expensive equipment) for example bright green casing or so forth. So if you see on on the street you can ask the person holding it where the f*k they got it.

durbandave

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure there was an article published recently on MyBB, where the Department was boasting about the high tech security measures they were putting in place to ensure the theft of these items does not occur.

Good job there ANC. That worked out well didn't it.

Another waste of taxpayers money as I am pretty sure no insurance company would insure these devices for theft, which is pretty much certain to happen as proved.

R13...

Honorary Master
What happened with this,
The Gauteng Education Department has affirmed that the computer tablets that the State issued to schools last month will be recalled until security measures have been boosted.

But, Lesufi says because they value the investment in the tablets, they have recalled all tablets across the province "so that we can install the tracking device.

Swa

Honorary Master
Why do they even bother? This isn't something that can work in a country like ours.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
“The department would like to categorically state that it remains committed and determined to realise its vision… to build a world-class education system by modernising public education and improving the standard of performance of the entire system.”

No amount of thuggery will deter our efforts in attaining this vision.

Did SADTU not get the memo then?

skimread

Honorary Master
My SO and I were in Alexandra township for a relative's function and these tablets are already in the streets... Everyone has it...
Is it iPads or Android tablets? Would like to know the make and model.

Soon the 2nd hand market will be so flooded with these devices we might as well post in the the Hardware Bargains thread

Swa

Honorary Master
326px-Tablet_Rimush_Louvre_AO5476.jpg

They should go back to this. Much more practical and can teach the children a bit about real history as well.

Turgon

My vote is that this is a false flag: an excuse to mandate comprehensive, always-on surveillance software, tracking the kiddies all the way home, in order to listen to daddy and mommy's political conversation, amongst other things, if they weren't doing it already:

http://www.techhive.com/article/189844/Did_a_School_Use_Webcams_to_Spy_on_Students_at_Home.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/22/harriton-high-school-admi_n_471321.html

Why is nobody asking what the 'security measures' actually are?

Last edited:

skimread

Honorary Master
My vote is that this is a false flag: an excuse to mandate comprehensive, always-on surveillance software, tracking the kiddies all the way home, in order to listen to daddy and mommy's political conversation, amongst other things, if they weren't doing it already:

http://www.techhive.com/article/189844/Did_a_School_Use_Webcams_to_Spy_on_Students_at_Home.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/22/harriton-high-school-admi_n_471321.html

Why is nobody asking what the 'security measures' actually are?
I don't think politicians are that smart. More likely the smart bad teachers will listen in on conversations and use it to blackmail the students into sex.

Turgon

I don't think politicians are that smart.

You're probably right - but they are just the talking heads, after all. We will likely never know the real decision maker/instigator.

More likely the smart bad teachers will listen in on conversations...

...which is the case in the articles I linked to above. Either way, people should wise up about the implications of mandated technology for citizenship.