Tablets in schools will boost the economy: Ramaphosa

Aghori

Honorary Master
Yes, In my personal opinion corporal punishment is the best solution to increase productivity and instill respect and values in learners.
Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Seriously

Honorary Master
On the contrary Arthur old chap. I know of schools where my friends teach that have very good pass rates because of computers. They are limited only for educational purposes and to aid in audio-visual enchancements ? in addition to board notes and homework.

So you have answered the actual dilemma. Completely digital or paperless will not work. How are the kids going to do homework and after school studies?

Arthur

Honorary Master
One pedagogical system that frowns deeply on tech aids until senior high is the Rudolf Steiner system. In fact, they ask parents to have zero TV for kids younger than 12.

Crowley

Executive Member
One pedagogical system that frowns deeply on tech aids until senior high is the Rudolf Steiner system. In fact, they ask parents to have zero TV for kids younger than 12.
Do they also require them to walk to the school barefoot and through the snow?

zippy

Honorary Master
Very bad idea, pedagogically speaking. Computers in schools, especially Grade 10 and below, do more damage than good. There are many good articles by educationists that argue this very convincingly. But I don't think 95% of people are bothered to really go into this in depth, and the benefits of computers elsewhere are apparently so obvious that to argue otherwise immediately gets you branded as a retrograde Luddite ... and so computers proliferate in schools and the harm becomes endemic.

Information and exams are only tangentially connected to real education.

Yeah, the last thing SA needs is an educated public. Keep them dumb, so that they keep voting ANC

lexis

One of the negative effects of tablets is that students loose the skill to "write" exams, because of the lack of practice using an actual pen. Students struggle to complete tests and exams in time.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Yeah, the last thing SA needs is an educated public. Keep them dumb, so that they keep voting ANC
Sadly, it might take another two or three lost generations for us to realize that there are no technological solutions to social and human problems. Ignorance is the smallest and easiest problem to solve. Education is a helluva lot more than delivering data and showing kids how to regurgitate. We need quality teachers, and they can't be supplemented by machines.

km2

Expert Member
I think that if one is struggling with the execution of basic education, trying to solve that by bringing in machines that require a lot of support and logistic effort to keep them running has got an incredibly high amount of risk. If teachers are struggling to teach their own subjects, how well are they going to do when they have to be able to teach their own subjects as well as the operation of these tablets? If they can't keep a functional supply of textbooks, how will they keep tablets and chargers and the internet connection and servers and networking and all the other infrastructure required to make effective use of a heavily computerised system?

Brawler

Honorary Master
The first rule of any technology used in a business is that automation applied to an efficient operation will magnify the efficiency. The second is that automation applied to an inefficient operation will magnify the inefficiency - Bill Gates

Mortymoose

Honorary Master

My kids know a lot of general knowledge because of Tv.