Takealot’s Big 5 Birthday Bonanza Sale – Price Check

Wall

Sports Addict
the savings are so lame. Takealot's pricing is just terrible.

Aqua_lung

Honorary Master
I've been inside Takealot HQ, their support department is massive, I think it's become too expensive to remain competitive. Support is usually one of the first to get outsourced due to costs.

Iwojima

Expert Member
There are two points in history in which Takealot's service has taken a drastic turn for the worse:

1) Several years ago when they were bought out by Americans and changed from Take2 to Takealot.
2) When they bought out Kalahari.

I've been buying from them since 2005 and while they were never the cheapest online store (except maybe the odd special here and there) their customer service, cheap delivery and turnaround time always convinced me to spend a little more with them. Sadly it seems they've lost the plot in this regard because customer service and efficiency has gone to the dogs at an exponential rate over the last >2 years

Last edited:

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
You know that the author had to go digging for a deal when all he could come up with is an electric toothbrush for R30 cheaper... :D

Kingofmybbknowitalls

There are two points in history in which Takealot's service has taken a drastic turn for the worse:

1) Several years ago when they were bought out by Americans and changed from Take2 to Takelot.

I've been buying from them since 2005 and while they were never the cheapest online store (except maybe the odd special here and there) their customer service, cheap delivery and turnaround time always convinced me to spend a little more with them. Sadly it seems they've lost the plot in this regard because customer service and efficiency has gone to the dogs at an exponential rate over the last >2 years
What area are you in, just for interest's sake?

I have no complaints whatsoever.

They always deliver the next day if they have the items in stock, and don't take ages to answer queries.

Just about the closest we have to Amazon in SA.

crackersa

Honorary Master

1) Several years ago when they were bought out by Americans and changed from Take2 to Takelot.

which American is that?

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Obviously knew this before I even checked, but posting for posterity's sake.

It's funny how their list prices are always massively inflated, and their sale price is the normal price, or just below what you'd pay somewhere else.

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
I haven't bought from TA once in the last 7 months... but there was a time that I bought from them almost once a month. They simply don't have any proper specials anymore.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Even if they're at times expensive. I don't mind buying from them
Nothing but pleasurable experiences from them.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
I can't remember the last time I purchased something from Takealot without using a promo voucher. Their "specials" aren't special at all.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
I've purchased plenty from them and never had an issue.

Pricing is fine - not always the cheapest, but close enough to not feel that I'm being ripped off.

Delivery is top notch - 99% of the time it's earlier than estimated.

When I have had to return stuff, it's been hassle free.

Happy customer here.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
I haven't bought from TA once in the last 7 months... but there was a time that I bought from them almost once a month. They simply don't have any proper specials anymore.
Does that mean you were buying stuff you don't really need or have you found those same items somewhere else cheaper?

If the former, you should write Takealot a letter thanking them for preventing you from impulse buying :)

Neoprod

Honorary Master
I use them all the time for stuff I buy regularly (cat food, cat litter)...I don't expect them to be any cheaper than a bulk buyer like Makro for things like that. The convenience of getting it delivered to my work (free!) and thrown into the car boot more than makes up for the lack of "specials".