Takealot, Amazon pricing and delivery compared in South Africa

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Takealot vs Amazon – Pricing and delivery in South Africa

Takealot dominates the South African online shopping market, but with Amazon’s expanding global network the US online retailer is proving an appealing alternative to the South African ecommerce giant.

When shopping online in South Africa, if Takealot is not the first platform you check for your product, odds are you will find yourself contemplating a Takealot product page somewhere in your search.

It’s no surprise — the online retailer has millions of products on its store, and thousands upon thousands of sellers.

Amazon is even bigger, with an estimated product range of around 350 million.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I’m got my Sony WH-1000XM4 from Amazon US about 2 weeks ago. R5200 delivered to my door in 8 days, compared to R6800 as it was on Takealot at the time.

Also check out Amazon U.K. for comparison against US prices as some times the same products are on sale on one site but not the other.

rogerwe

I’m got my Sony WH-1000XM4 from Amazon US about 2 weeks ago. R5200 delivered to my door in 8 days, compared to R6800 as it was on Takealot at the time.

Also check out Amazon U.K. for comparison against US prices as some times the same products are on sale on one site but not the other.
Does one still have to pay import duty/customs when it imported from Amazon ? It’s been so long since I ordered from Amazon or eBay I don’t know what the costs are these days, if any?

jbroo

Does one still have to pay import duty/customs when it imported from Amazon ? It’s been so long since I ordered from Amazon or eBay I don’t know what the costs are these days, if any?
Yes. I recently bought something and there was shipping and import duty added.

Still worked out cheaper than Takealot and far more choice.

Spizz

Goat Botherer

They do the calculation at the checkout and you pay no more.

So the price is shown as xx amount, they deduct local taxes, add on import tax and delivery and that’s you. You pay with your card like normal at checkout and it’s on its way.

cYcLIc

Most amazon orders are cleared through Pitney Bowes (or equivalent). In short, you arent importing, they are... Thus why the customs duties etc. aren't estimates, they are actual!
Really? Had no idea. That's good to know.

heartbroken

Expert Member
How much did Takealot pay for this article?

Amazon shopping is amazing, my record is 3 days from my parcel leaving Texas until it was in my greasy hands. Even got a refund on my customs deposit. Never had to pay in extra and 90% of the time it was cheaper, although I normally only but from Amazon if not locally available - the return process for any "non-amazon" products is a hassle.

Gudnews

Expert Member

What kind of warranty you got ?

MidnightZA

Expert Member

What happens if you go over 3 items? Do you have to get an importers code? Small orders less than R500 each.

I ordered watch straps from Amazon earlier this year. I ordered some goods from banggood and the order got spilt into 2 shipments so I'm guessing I've used my 3 imports?

I wanted to order some other things in the coming months. But I can do that on my SOs name

cYcLIc

What happens if you go over 3 items? Do you have to get an importers code? Small orders less than R500 each.

I ordered watch straps from Amazon earlier this year. I ordered some goods from banggood and the order got spilt into 2 shipments so I'm guessing I've used my 3 imports?

I wanted to order some other things in the coming months. But I can do that on my SOs name

Yeah, they hold your stuff and make you apply for an Importers Code. Apparently, the process sucks. They enforce this regulation randomly. Sometimes you're lucky and can get away with a couple of orders. Sometimes not. I'm currently waiting for my 6th import. 3 were from Amazon, 3 from other random sites.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I'm not worried about delivery. The major problem is warranty. Its a hassle.

Juice

Expert Member
Those Sennheisers make for an interesting case study. I bought a pair of Momentum Wireless (1) buds last year in January before the lockdown for R3,999. Tossed in some eBucks and a voucher and it seemed like a good deal. My daughter kept on hogging them, so I thought I'd try to get a second pair for her, but somewhere in the next few months, the price went berzerk, practically double. Even now, they're sitting at R5,999 on Takealot. That's for the v1, not the v2! Sure, R/$ and all that, but Sennheiser was the only brand affected this badly, so they must really suck at hedging their imports, or they're taking us for a ride. The sound quality is very good, but it's not THAT good. At the time I checked, Jabra Elite 75T's were going for R2,999 on Loot (lol @ Takealot at R3,999)...

Takealot doesn't deserve the podium for competitive pricing in SA. I have constant skirmishes with them over their "specials" pricing and it always pays to shop around when you spot a special on Takealot for something you want. They ALWAYS reset the price to the RRP (or higher) before they mark it down and then claim a ridiculous discount percentage to trick you into thinking you're scoring a good deal. And also be aware that they sometimes only "host" products on behalf of some other retailer, and then claim they "don't control the pricing".

1622525472162.png

I've gotten into the habit of screenshotting my wishlisted items so that I can keep track of the pricing myself over time to avoid the Takealot "discount" trap.

greg_SA

Expert Member
Yep, also note that Takealot returns can be a serious pain if there is a 3rd party involved. For example - any Dell porduct, you have to deal with Dell, and they will only exchange for a refurbished product. I had to jump thorugh hoops (took about 2 weeks of loads of phonecalls and emails) to get an item replaced with a new one when the first order was DOA.

Raphael123

Expert Member
I would not mind paying a bit more because of late Takelot has been messing up my deliveries.