Takealot.com acquires designer marketplace Superbalist

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Interesting move..

Superbalist have some interesting stuff, but their pricing is never really on the "good" side.. its always been quite high. Especially for things that nobody really needs.

rorz0r

Executive Member
Citymob was renamed to Superbalist.

It's nice as a South African "Fancy" but the prices are ridiculous. Never actually bought anything I've seen on there as it's usually stuff that's "cute" or "cool" or whatever but you don't really need. A few things I've looked up and found cheaper elsewhere, but still didn't end up buying.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

It's nice as a South African "Fancy" but the prices are ridiculous. Never actually bought anything I've seen on there as it's usually stuff that's "cute" or "cool" or whatever but you don't really need. A few things I've looked up and found cheaper elsewhere, but still didn't end up buying.
Precisely this...

I like some of their stuff, but it was mostly aimed at "Hipsters", and it was pretty much always overpriced for what it was.

qwertydudeza

They are Discovery Partner and can use your Discovery Miles, which I have made use of. I found something for my daughter last year which never saw elsewhere near the price they offered at, besides it cost me no cash and used some miles.

eehellfire

Executive Member
Very interesting.
I'm glad for the guys at Superbalist. Their products often range from niche to wacky and definitely not for those with shallow pockets; but their website design is very cool.

Guantanamo

Expert Member
Superbalist is a bit of a niche player. They do have some really cool stuff though. I bought a mate a 3D Game of thrones puzzle off there for his birthday. I'm sure takealot will develop them into a fully fledged online clothes retailer though.

fish

I hope Superbalist start doing free shipping on orders over R250 that would make buy more stuff from them.
Free Shipping on orders over R250 is the norm in SA online stores.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I was wondering who these guys were. Started receiving emails from them I did not ask for and unsubscribed. Seems like Takealot decided it is a good idea to take your email address and just subscribe you to some more mailing lists.

So a FAIL from them on that front. If they wanted Superbalist to gain traction they should've sent out vouchers instead :p

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
I was wondering who these guys were. Started receiving emails from them I did not ask for and unsubscribed. Seems like Takealot decided it is a good idea to take your email address and just subscribe you to some more mailing lists.

So a FAIL from them on that front. If they wanted Superbalist to gain traction they should've sent out vouchers instead :p
I don't think it was TA dishing out their customer lists to them - unless other people also recently got mail (at least none of my accounts or anyone else I know received). With group-buying sites like them and others, mailing lists are purchased and you will probably find that someone else sold it off. Best way to track it is to use the GMail/Google-Apps alias feature (i.e. if your mail is hamster@gmail.com you add a "+" suffix - i.e. hamster+takealot@gmail.com or hamser+mybb@gmail.com) - this allows you to track who sells off your mail.