Takealot could sell groceries in South Africa

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Takealot may start to sell groceries

Takealot has an opportunity to start selling groceries in South Africa thanks to its extensive delivery and warehouse infrastructure and technology.

This is the view of Naspers and Prosus chief financial officer, Basil Sgourdos. Naspers owns 100% of Takealot.

News24 quoted Sgourdos as saying perishable goods will be something new for Takealot and a “completely different category of goods to its current operations”.

“The expansion will probably have to be organic, but it is certainly attractive," he said.

DeeinSouthAfrica

Expert Member
I use Checkers Sixty 60 nearly every 2nd day. They are quick and efficient.
Bottles are the worst excuse for a delivery service and still owe me a credit for undelivered items.
If Takealot do groceries I will order, but they better be efficient, or like Bottles I won't go near them again.
It will be nice if they add a grocery service that accepts cash.
Takealot accepts cash. Mr D accepts cash.
Checkers Sixty60 only accept catds, as do Bottles.

Last edited:

Afon Kulikov

Forging
And then deliver it when they feel like it, if they actually deliver what you have ordered

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Hmmm in two minds about this.

I think this is a much bigger challenge than Basil thinks. It will require a complete re-jig of their distribution points to include cooling systems and management of produce etc.
Also this "it will be delivered today" mantra is not good enough either, it needs to be done to the specific hour.

6spdmanual

Expert Member
Food and Takealot would take some massive getting used to, well for me anyway.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
And then deliver it when they feel like it, if they actually deliver what you have ordered

I have been noticing some erratic deliveries in the last 2 months.

I've had orders delayed and moved earlier by Takealot, with a few hours notice. I also see that I reschedule my deliveries like I was able to before.

theratman

Honorary Master
This is going to end badly for Naspers
I tend to agree, look at Mass mart / game as an example. I applaud the idea and would love for it to become a reality, but the logistics are an entirely different kettle of fish.

wizardofid

Executive Member
This is going to end badly for Naspers
Why ?

You do know they already sell some select albeit some times niche groceries and have been for a while now, expanding on the selection wouldn't be bad at all.Doing this would be next logical step for them.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Maybe they have it in for you
Ive never ever had bad delivery service from Takealot since they started and I have stuff delivered every month

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
For standardized items like cereal and milk the idea will work, but there may be less interest for pick and choose things like vegetables/fruit/meat.

Iamn0tageek

I barely order from Takealot.

Ordered my XBox Series S
Went to go collect it & the part I got was an XBox Series S

So far so good.

Hi Kim

grok

Honorary Master
Takelot deliveries are great, I use Sixty-60 for usual groceries but I'll support this.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Cannot wait for my groceries to take 3-5 days to get from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth...all the while the goods are in stock!