Takealot down minutes into Black Friday 2017

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Meh... The site is loading now, but the deals section is broken, like their cart system earlier, besides the items I'm looking at are still priced the same as yesterday. So, moving on.

MR.C

Expert Member
I tried to checkout at 23:40 and all went smoothly up to the checkout.

I wonder how many new accounts must have been created in the past hour

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/smartphones/237720-why-takealot-loves-black-friday.html

The increased order volumes from a surging base of customers also puts their systems to the test, which allows for improvements to be made.

Reid said they have been preparing their systems for Black Friday since the beginning of the year.

This is evident in the site being able to handle large sales days. A month ago, Takealot had a day where it did R18.5 million in sales revenue – which Reid said is more than they did during Black Friday two years ago.

“We struggled during that Black Friday, the site went down,” he said.

The lessons they learned that day helped them build the site so it can handle high loads when “normal” sales volumes grew over time.

Being able to test their systems at such a scale is valuable, as it helps them ensure they can cope with future growth, said Reid.
Lessons learned? The site went down in mere minutes... cope, lol.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Lol at take a lot.

They can't even handle traffic from a single country when most people are asleep. Can you imagine the **** site at 6/7am? And they think they can compete with Amazon.

Pathetic.

xodosman123

Expert Member
Yes still happening i have to refresh a few times to be able what i do all i can say is people have gone shopping mad...

felixbf

None of there stuff are actually on sale.. Samsung T5 1TB last week R5299, this past week R5499.Black friday R5199 ...Will stick to Raru

Executive Member
Ah, so why don't they just keep spinning up servers on AWS to handle the load?

This of course would all be so much more entertaining if magicdude4eva was still around

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 6.09.03 AM.jpg

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I truly hate this digital queuing mechanism. Rather get your infrastructure and code quality up to scratch than rely on these workarounds, especially if you are one of the biggest online retailers in the country. It's not like they didn't have a year's notice.

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 06.11.22.jpg

Executive Member
They could have managed this a lot better, technology aside.

A simple "sign up to the exclusive club and get black friday deals a week early"

They could then manage the number of people that signup and see how the load handles in a controlled group. It would also distribute the load over a multiple weeks instead of a single day.

Personally, I find black friday terrible. I can't shop everywhere (or anywhere) because it's all to busy to actually get things done quickly. I also don't have a bottomless wallet, so some specials will have to be ignored... all of this combined makes me just shop online...

but then you get these type of problems.

Temujin

Executive Member
waited up to see what and maybe grab something, gave up after 30min, now 'we're full' and that 'checkout now' button returns 404, not impressed *shakes head*

Tinuva

The Magician
They could have managed this a lot better, technology aside.

A simple "sign up to the exclusive club and get black friday deals a week early"

They could then manage the number of people that signup and see how the load handles in a controlled group. It would also distribute the load over a multiple weeks instead of a single day.

Personally, I find black friday terrible. I can't shop everywhere (or anywhere) because it's all to busy to actually get things done quickly. I also don't have a bottomless wallet, so some specials will have to be ignored... all of this combined makes me just shop online...

but then you get these type of problems.
Or they can just implement auto scaling on one of the proper cloud providers. Either AWS or Azure would work.