Takealot explains recommended retail price anomalies tracked by Serval

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Takealot's strange deal prices explained

While recently-launched price tracking websites are useful for seeing whether a deal is good, Takealot has explained that they are not an accurate way of detecting pricing anomalies on its platform.

MyBroadband readers have often complained that the discounts advertised by online retailers were exaggerated.

saor

Honorary Master
@Everyone who always says: "It's not takealot it's the 3rd-party sellers who set the price" whenever someone moans about takealot and their shenanigans...

We take full responsibility for ensuring our pricing is fair and transparent, and would never intentionally mislead our customers with regards to any aspect of their online shopping experience,” Takealot stated.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Sounds like a load of hogwash answer from takealot to me...

I think serval tracker needs to be updated to included the seller info now as well.
Wonder what takealot would say if it proves their response to be inaccurate

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Takealot increases and decreases their prices ad lib. There is no consistency. The only plausible explanation is an attempt to fleece the unsuspecting consumer. Let the buyer beware. Know the RRP before you make a purchase.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
From experience, it is similar to how some service providers explain themselves not meeting their obligated SLA or rendering the actual service (or product) which was sold.

Takealot has explained that they are not an accurate way of detecting pricing anomalies on its platform.

Anyhow, back OT,

Takealot explained that a single product page with the same URL might have multiple sellers or combinations of sellers, which was the case for most of the products we analysed.

These sellers compete for the “buy box”, which is shown at the top with the option to “Add to Cart” or “Add to List”.

to use the Redragon bundle product as an example, this is Redragon SA,

and they "list" it as R 889. Takealot currently has it listed,

Capture.PNG

so how is the list price determined, then?

“The list price is only logged from the offer and corresponding List Price that wins the buy box,” Takealot explained.

that is which must be asked, and yes, I know how Redragon is supplied in SA, and the who, but I want to know how Takealot determines said price where they themselves are the said supplier in this regard. This being said where I assume that Takealot does their own listing. Their explanation gives credence to third-party listings, but not their own. Someone has to do the inputs...

I like how Amazon trackers track both Amazon and third-party prices, I use Keepa daily,

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
You don't have to be happy with the truth but it's still the truth.

Please look at my posts on this forum over the past half decade on their pricing and market place sellers.

TAL is like a mall with tenants, are you going to complain too V&A that a beer in a restaurant is more expensive than the bottle store

Markd

Expert Member
Absolute horseshit. Takealot is a dishonest business. I bought my wife a gift for her birthday a month in advance of Black Friday. On BLACK FRIDAY(!) it cost R10 more than I paid for it, but was somehow discounted off the list price/RRP by 23%! Its a joke! This isnt the first time I've seen takealot do this either - its happened numerous times over the YEARS before 3rd party sellers were even a big thing.

3rd party sellers are obviously taking the piss out of stupid takealot customers that are too lazy to shop properly. For example they have playpen sand for sale for R250 a bag, but you can get the exact same thing for R69 from somewhere like Mambos. Its a joke now...

Edit: Look at this ****

R69 at Makro

R250 at Takealot

And yes its a third party seller so I know IN THIS INSTANCE it's not takealot themselves trying to do the swindle, but its fairly out of hand on this platform now. I think people are taking advantage of Takealots reach and position as a 'default online shop' in South Africa to find product that they can just fleece people on. The XBOX Series X scalpers are another fine example. I appreciate that its a free market but this is almost theft and I think there should be more control of it on their platform.

Last edited:

saor

Honorary Master
You don't have to be happy with the truth but it's still the truth.

Please look at my posts on this forum over the past half decade on their pricing and market place sellers.

TAL is like a mall with tenants, are you going to complain too V&A that a beer in a restaurant is more expensive than the bottle store
Malls don't claim exactly what I pointed out in post #3.

moklet

Expert Member
I have one rule. Don’t buy because it seems it is a bargain. If I didn’t want/need it why buy it. But if it is something I am in the market for, I know my prices and then I can spot a deal.

Danie_V

Takealot has serious problems with pricing as well as descriptions - I've complained many times to them on both counts, but every time they have replied "the supplier is responsible for that". On Black Friday I complained about the price of a local Three Ships whisky doubling in price (saw it on the tracking system, and then verified on their site it had in fact doubled). I've told Takealot too it is just unacceptable they keep hiding behind their suppliers. It's their marketplace and they need to apply some quality control.

WAslayer

Executive Member
@Everyone who always says: "It's not takealot it's the 3rd-party sellers who set the price" whenever someone moans about takealot and their shenanigans...

You must have misread the article.. They are explicit in the fact that, they will investigate inflated list pricing and they make no mention of investigating inflated selling prices, which is the common complaint from people..

Even if they do investigate selling prices as well, 3rd party sellers are still responsible for setting their own prices for their goods..