Takealot opens 25 new collection points in South Africa

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Hmmmm its a step in the right direction.....

But since its only free for orders over R450 (so same as free delivery), why would I not have those orders delivered to my office or home for free as well?

For smaller orders, it might make a bit of sense maybe

jetlee

But since its only free for orders over R450 (so same as free delivery), why would I not have those orders delivered to my office or home for free as well?

exactly

Nobody Important

Executive Member

Yeah it only makes sense for smaller orders of unique items that can only be found on TakeAlot. They charge a R25 delivery fee. I'd pay that for an order of nibs for my Wacom tablet for example. So only stuff that can't easily be found in local stores.

In that case I don't have to add stuff I don't need, only want, just to get to R450.

For anything more than R450, I'd rather use free home delivery as you said.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
So wait, they will still charge for collection at these points? What's the point then?
It's a little less than charged for home delivery. Makes sense if you pass those points on the way to work or shopping etc.

eg2505

Honorary Master
or maybe its to deal with peoples fear of delivery?

I mean people that sometimes aren't comfortable with home delivery,
so to deal with the fear, set up collection points for people.

what I cant understand is why not get into a partnership with DSV or something,
and deliver to those automated lockers one sees in petrol stations.

ToxicBunny

or maybe its to deal with peoples fear of delivery?

I mean people that sometimes aren't comfortable with home delivery,
so to deal with the fear, set up collection points for people.

what I cant understand is why not get into a partnership with DSV or something,
and deliver to those automated lockers one sees in petrol stations.

People are afraid of home delivery? Really? Where have you come across this before?

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Took me a while to find the list : https://www.takealot.com/about/takealot-pickup-point

For Durban, they're both not in the greatest of locations from an ease of access point of view, which entirely invalidates the exercise.

Came to say this - the closest one to me - Pinetown - is in a really poor place. They really should be getting locations 30 seconds off the freeway on major commuting routes, or it's a pointless exercise. This way you could probably get your delivery a day early for very little effort and it'd be worth the trouble to go fetch it.

ToxicBunny

Came to say this - the closest one to me - Pinetown - is in a really poor place. They really should be getting locations 30 seconds off the freeway on major commuting routes, or it's a pointless exercise. This way you could probably get your delivery a day early for very little effort and it'd be worth the trouble to go fetch it.

Same for me... I was kinda keen when I saw Pinetown, then I saw the exact location and went Fsck No, not interested even if its free.

**EDIT**
Even the one in Umhlanga is a hack to get to actually, you have to wade through ALL the Gateway and Umhlanga Ridge traffic and confusion to get there...

ToxicBunny

It can be awkward and cringy if you have socially anxiety or Asperger's?

Of course, but I doubt that would be a significant enough portion of TakeAlots customer base for it to be the reason they would roll something like this out.

eg2505

Honorary Master
People are afraid of home delivery? Really? Where have you come across this before?

I have seen people afraid of deliveries to home or office, if they live in shack 12 just next to the open sewer.
I also wouldn't want deliveries to my Shack. or people don't like having items stolen by Family/neighbours ect?

or maybe the idea is one to cater to peoples mindsets of getting ripped off?
I mean if you cant see a product and pay money for X and cant actually see it and hold it, people think they getting ripped off.

maybe its to cater to them?

ToxicBunny

How exactly do you deliver to a shack when it has no physical address to reference?

And how does having something delivered to your home automatically equate to it being stolen by family/neighbours? At least in any fashion more than just having the item itself.

And no, its more than likely to cater for people who have no real physical address to deliver to (which is a significant chunk of our population).. nothing to do with fear or anything else your warped mind comes up with.

ThatOtherGuy

There's one a few km's from my office, so under certain circumstances I will actually pay the R25 for collection. This is great. I used to drive 20 minutes if I really, really wanted to collect...petrol was much more than R25.