Takealot opens 25 new collection points in South Africa

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
this is handy
i work in CT but live in SWest and sometimes i buy heavy stuff and have to tow it home on my motorbike

Having a pick up point close to home means i can now have it dropped off there and then after hrs i can go there in my car to fetch it :thumbsup: Clever

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Their main warehouse is only a 10min drive for me, I always just collect. Find it more convenient than delivery sometimes as I can schedule things easier.

eg2505

Honorary Master
How exactly do you deliver to a shack when it has no physical address to reference?

And how does having something delivered to your home automatically equate to it being stolen by family/neighbours? At least in any fashion more than just having the item itself.

And no, its more than likely to cater for people who have no real physical address to deliver to (which is a significant chunk of our population).. nothing to do with fear or anything else your warped mind comes up with.

I wouldn't want to get my new phone stolen if it was delivered to my shack, so maybe that is what its for,
and maybe that's where the fear comes from, if its delivered to home, it will get stolen.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I wouldn't want to get my new phone stolen if it was delivered to my shack, so maybe that is what its for,
and maybe that's where the fear comes from, if its delivered to home, it will get stolen.

No, its not where its from, regardless of how you justify it in your mind.

Your new phone wouldn't be stolen because it was delivered to your shack (although you still haven't explained how a courier company would deliver to an area with no physical addresses), it would be stolen because someone saw you using it.

WalkWithMe

Not all of us have a fixed office location, we on the road seeing clients and no one at home. So to pickup on my way around is awesome, Trying to schedule deliveries with Takealot was a pain.
In terms of paying, the centre's still have a cost, to get the stuff there, Takealot still pay for fuel and the staff in the centres which needs to be recovered, either uping the price or charging a delivery or collection fee. The fee is the fairest, which is cheaper than delivery

Apogee

Expert Member
I for one couldn't be happier about this development:

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/takealot-pickup-points.977727/post-22138529

Collection makes a lot of sense for their customers who cannot sit around in one place for up to 9 hours and wait for the delivery guy to show up at a random time.

I had a discussion about this with their customer service dept. last year, and they agreed giving the customer the option to collect makes sense from their point of view as well.

It saves them time, fuel expenditure, wear and tear of the delivery vehicles, and cause less pollution when they do not have to drive up and down repeatedly to customers who are not available at the delivery address on the first try.

Regarding the R25 collection fee, it sucks, but a lot of companies selling online are doing that. Guess they have to pay for the facilities and staff somehow. It is like DStv's "access fee".

Here is an example from Mr. Price Sport:

Mr Price Sport.jpg

Last edited:

tefago

Just make sure to phone and check opening times! I arrived at 9h15 and there was NO-ONE there. Had to phone head office to find out that my particular point only opened hours later...

Jake45

Expert Member
I think I will continue to use the Loot app free delivery service whenever possible. R25 is too much for a collection service. I would have thought that they could have worked out some type of reciprocal agreement with several limited branches of a nationwide chain to handle the collections for a lower price.

Apogee

Expert Member
I think I will continue to use the Loot app free delivery service whenever possible. R25 is too much for a collection service. I would have thought that they could have worked out some type of reciprocal agreement with several limited branches of a nationwide chain to handle the collections for a lower price.

One has to be realistic.

That is exactly what Raru has done with Clicks through Pargo, and it is more than double the price that Takealot is asking for collection.

Pargo.jpg

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
One has to be realistic.

That is exactly what Raru has done with Clicks through Pargo, and it is more than double the price that Takealot is asking for collection.

View attachment 649698

Shipping through Pargo isn't cheap. It's not meant to be a cheapo alternative to conventional courier to your door.

Pargo is phenomenally useful for people who live in townships or any regional area, are shipping sensitive items like gifts, have security concerns about the delivery and/or can't guarantee that someone will be available to receive the items.

Raru is likely paying R70-85 per Pargo delivery. Charging customers R55 is more than reasonable.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
this is handy
i work in CT but live in SWest and sometimes i buy heavy stuff and have to tow it home on my motorbike

Having a pick up point close to home means i can now have it dropped off there and then after hrs, i can go there in my car to fetch it :thumbsup: Clever
Awesome, no more deliveries of your embarrassing crap to my house ;)

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
Firstly the MrD branches where these pick up points are, are franchises that cost TAL money to use for deliveries.

There are also a lot black listed areas where deliveries cannot happen for safety concerns making collections the only option for residents.

The thing of collection is also a massive Cape Town mindset thing so more MrD branches offering this, the better.

I use to work for TAL and its great to see them go live with this after many years of planning.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Harrower Road, Kensington, Port Elizabeth? I'd pay good money not to have to go there.