Takealot opens 25 new collection points in South Africa

Park@82

Honorary Master
Saw one on my way towards pta somewhere around New Road the other day. Also saw one on close to Hatfield. I think it's a good idea.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
It's a decently central location. Plus, don't you sometimes work at NMB Stadium?
It's a 60km roundtrip from my house so delivery is a cheaper option.

Fortunately, I haven't had to go to the stadium in a while :)

LandyMan

Honorary Master
So that New Road one is going to be interesting. Its the old Restaurant over the highway, which you can only access FROM the highway. So either way you go, you have to get on/off and off/on at either Allandale or Olifantsfontein, which is dumb

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
It's a 60km roundtrip from my house so delivery is a cheaper option.

Fortunately, I haven't had to go to the stadium in a while :)

I guess when you live that far out the pick up points aren't useful.

Kensington is a lower income area, but it's not that bad.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I guess when you live that far out the pick up points aren't useful.

Kensington is a lower income area, but it's not that bad.
I'd have to be within 6-7km for it to be financially viable. :eek:

BEB

**EDIT**
Even the one in Umhlanga is a hack to get to actually, you have to wade through ALL the Gateway and Umhlanga Ridge traffic and confusion to get there...

The Umhlanga one is right by the new turn-off / bridge from the highway. Almost directly on my way home. I have to admit that getting back on to the highway is a mess cause the city planners thought it be best to only have additional off-ramps and no on-ramps.

Dave

Honorary Master
25 points for the whole of SA?

That’s pretty poor when you consider in a small country like the UK Amazon has 2,200 collection points.

roadcat

Expert Member
Harrower Road, Kensington, Port Elizabeth? I'd pay good money not to have to go there.

I saw that! Very odd location, wonder who the target market actually is. Close to home affairs if that helps :)

The Door

Honorary Master
25 points for the whole of SA?

That’s pretty poor when you consider in a small country like the UK Amazon has 2,200 collection points.
Small country? It's enormous compared to SA in spending power and affluent population size. Way easier to deploy a solution like this. Logistically and financially.

Dave

Honorary Master
Small country? It's enormous compared to SA in spending power and affluent population size. Way easier to deploy a solution like this. Logistically and financially.

Small in area, SA could do with hundreds, if not thousands to really give coverage even just in the major urban areas.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Takealot has given me a reason to book a visit to the Newfangled Road contraption, I will make a point of using one of the surrounding eateries.

The Door

Honorary Master
Small in area, SA could do with hundreds, if not thousands to really give coverage even just in the major urban areas.
That's a business model that wouldn't survive IMO. Not here anyway.

Dave

Honorary Master
That's a business model that wouldn't survive IMO. Not here anyway.

You don’t think a better concentration of convenient pick up locations in the larger urban areas would encourage more people to use the system and buy more from that retailer?