Takealot says e-commerce sector needs improved protection from international businesses

Its not just price, how do you expect to compete in the local sector if you can't even reply with a proper answer.

I asked 1) Why an order of mine was split into two deliveries since both were showing in stock JHB, 2) Why I am paying a premium to get the stuff delivered if it doesn't arrive on time?

This was the answer, not that it answered my question.

take.JPG

Then do something about your 3rd party sellers with insane prices. But no, you take no responsibility. Also do away with the List Price you scumbags! We need services like Buch Cheap and Serval Tracker to make sure you don't rob us consumers. Sies man, julle stink.

Takealot must rather shutup.they are expensive.i bought a product and they send me a much cheaper one that i ordered and now they wont exchange it or refund mein the past i spend thousands of rand by them.i will never buy from them again.i buy now from amazon and temu

Eat sh*t Takealot.

Between your egregious and deceptive "market" and "special" pricing and the fact that you're peddling that same stuff from 10x the price you've cooked your own goose.

Takealot warns about Temu and Shein

The Takealot Group has taken aim at Chinese clothing manufacturers Temu and Shein as well as policymakers, calling for reform within the e-commerce sector that supports South Africa's localisation efforts and fair competition.

In its 2024 financial results, the group called out the need to create a fair playing field in the South African e-commerce sector, given the increased competition from international retailers such as Amazon and Shein.
This squealing for protection is so typical from SA business when faced with real competition. Besides their higher prices, their service and their offering are inferior to the Chinese.

Compare the amount of information that Takealot offer about their products compared to Temu. Often it is not enough to make a decision, it's as if they simply slap a picture and some piffle about it on a page and expect people to buy it. The information is often non-metric if they do have it. Takealot don't seem to understand how to sell online. It is typical of their monopoly heritage

I have bought lots from Takealot, they don't ever communicate with me. I hear from Temu at least 3 times a day - can be irritating, but they are always urging me to buy. Takealot couldn't care until they have to compete, and then they run to the lawyers.

The consumer and sellers are all getting screwed because of the markups required to be profitable, yet despite ripping everyone off Takealot still can't post a profitable financial year.
This is probably due to all the wasted packaging and boxes for each order.

Bwahahahah Takealot's holding company is in trouble - Same item of clothing on Takealot R1300 vs Temu R 300 (+ R65 VAT&Import duties). Sherpa Fleece

I spent just over R 40K (And about R5000 in import costs) to equip and get stock for a new electronics business for my son, ordered mostly from Temu. Same thing in SA would have set me back R400K conservatively. For exactly the same circuit boards, (Make, manufacturer and country of origin - China).

Quick Example 3x - PCB prototype boards on Takealot R 249.00 (Excluding R 150 odd delivery fee), bought 20 on Temu (Import and VAT came to about R 60.00 in total). Compared them, exact same product and markings. Same story for every single item I purchased from Temu, did a comparison on circuit modules such as LM2596 buck converters (same factory, same markings and I tested them, same tolerances just in case they were fake). In the end I gave up on Takealot as a serious supplier of electronics components.

I believe Takealot resellers order from the same places as Temu get their stock from (i.e. Gudyir, Joyhold etc) and add a 500% markup, put it on Takealot (Who also add a markup) and you end up with an imbalanced pricing system.

I still support local vendors, when they have a product that I need, is priced reasonably and has stock. (Found some great suppliers on BoBshop).

As far as Temu vs Takealot is concerned, cry me a river, Temu cuts out multiple middlemen and that's simply smart business for both the seller and the buyer.

Products made in china, local drop shippers imports from a distributor or a shop in china, then the product is placed on takealot who also charges a platform fee. Whereas a lot of products on Temu come from the manufacturing factories themselves, so of course takealot can't compete against such business model.

What takealot could do is to make deals with some chinese factories, import the products themselves and try to level the play field on price this way. But unfortunately this means Naspers will have to put up additional investments and probably burns through an additional hundreds of millions every year to fight for market shares.

I guess it is far easier to cry foul and ask for a bailout all in the name of protecting our precious local manufacturing industry. I wonder if mybb can do an article to look at the amount of local manufacturers vs the amount of importers potentially saved by this, I suspect the result will be quite interesting. Alternatively, compare the sales volume of the local manufacturers before and after this tax in a few months, should also be interesting.

Amandla comrades! Capitalist tendencies of this Takealot bunch.

#takealotmustfall

I am a bit disappointed by Takealot. Their own marketplace is exploitative. I can't speak to what I conceive as not the best practices, but sellers act within the scope they are allowed to trade in. Is Takealot, by policy, acting in the consumer's interest or are they protecting their marketplace business model?

My opinion is simple: Takealot should better compete in the market (which is now global) than to stall, and deny, their competition through legal action. Fair play, keep it real. There is a logistics chain also negatively impacted by "improved protection".

Anyhow, I am not an exec sweating balls.

I spent just over R 40K (And about R5000 in import costs) to equip and get stock for a new electronics business for my son, ordered mostly from Temu. Same thing in SA would have set me back R400K conservatively. For exactly the same circuit boards, (Make, manufacturer and country of origin - China).

Quick Example 3x - PCB prototype boards on Takealot R 249.00 (Excluding R 150 odd delivery fee), bought 20 on Temu (Import and VAT came to about R 60.00 in total). Compared them, exact same product and markings. Same story for every single item I purchased from Temu, did a comparison on circuit modules such as LM2596 buck converters (same factory, same markings and I tested them, same tolerances just in case they were fake). In the end I gave up on Takealot as a serious supplier of electronics components.

I believe Takealot resellers order from the same places as Temu get their stock from (i.e. Gudyir, Joyhold etc) and add a 500% markup, put it on Takealot (Who also add a markup) and you end up with an imbalanced pricing system.

I still support local vendors, when they have a product that I need, is priced reasonably and has stock. (Found some great suppliers on BoBshop).

As far as Temu vs Takealot is concerned, cry me a river, Temu cuts out multiple middlemen and that's simply smart business for both the seller and the buyer.

Businesses have to make ends meet I suppose. You import from China in bulk, pay your transport and VAT (VAT the end customer pays anyway, that's refunded to you anyway as a retailer) and you need to make a profit. In the meantime you must pay for the security, for the various middlemen and your own profit.

If local business had the power they would outlaw ALL personal imports. Then they could gate keep everything. And if they don't bring it in, f-you, you don't deserve it, buy something of what they brought in.

The only things I buy on Takealot these days are my vape coils and wicking material. It is cheaper than getting it at the vape store and I buy enough to last a couple of months.

I am looking at Temu now for CPAP masks and harnesses as locally they cost about R2500 and on Temu it is under R500. Also looking at some gadgets like the new Raspberry Pi etc. Which is cheaper than the local retailers.

The only things I buy on Takealot these days are my vape coils and wicking material. It is cheaper than getting it at the vape store and I buy enough to last a couple of months.

I am looking at Temu now for CPAP masks and harnesses as locally they cost about R2500 and on Temu it is under R500. Also looking at some gadgets like the new Raspberry Pi etc. Which is cheaper than the local retailers.

You know you're stealing bread from the children of SA importers of these Chinese electronics, right? Should you not be ashamed?

You know you're stealing bread from the children of SA importers of these Chinese electronics, right? Should you not be ashamed?
Then the importers need to reevaluate their margins. Adding a 100-300% markup should not be legal, yet they do it.

Back