Takealot selling fakes?

remus786

Expert Member
TL;DR : TAKEALOT SOLD FAKES, TOLD ME TO F OFF

Afternoon members, I need some advice on this one.

So I recently purchased a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses from TA on a special, and like all my frames I proceeded to fit in my prescription lenses while still holding onto my old lens.

So after a few weeks, much to my surprise, the frame begins to crack, flake and fade which prompted me to take it back to the lab that fitted my lenses and they confirmed the frame to be a fake.

I then contacted TA to advise me on a way forward and they are now basically telling me to go get F#$k%d.. Well not really but after 10 days of waiting on a reply, they now say they cannot help me, but do admit to knowing the reseller permitted to use their service was removed for selling fakes.

Heres my questions :

1. If you by your own admission knew that your resller was selling fakes, why permit them to keep selling?
2. Why then not perform a recall and inform your clients?
3. They have asked me to send the unit to them for review with the original lens fitted - but who pays for my lab fee to reinstate the original lens?
4. I have been reasonable and asked for an original pair but they are refusing to give me one, what am I to do with my old lenses as TA want nothing to do with my prescriptions even though I thought I was buying a genuine item, surely they are part responsible.
5. TA are now saying I have no warranty and refusing to assist me - What do I do?

This is a David/Goliath fight I have, I know and I know I cant win, I just need to know if I should just keep quiet and shutup about it now and boycott TA in silence or do I have a case?

Thanks and sorry for the long read.

Attachments

Last edited:

maumau

Honorary Master
My cheap frames started flaking after 5 years so those must be real cr&p :(

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
My cheap frames started flaking after 5 years so those must be real cr&p :(
my Raybans i bought from Takealot a few months ago are also fakes. The entire coating is coming off. It looks like it is scratching off. They are always in the Ray Ban pouch that is provided. I have never dropped them and only handled with extreme care, I guess you get what you pay for, they wee around R1090 on a daily deal

I havent even started contacting them yet to return it :confused:

mr_norris

Expert Member
How long ago did you buy them?

If it's less than 30 days, you can send them back and get a refund - they are pretty anal about the 30 days, I've been down that road. If it's more and you're in the warranty period still, you can request a return. You're given the choice to get a refund or have it repaired / replaced if they are happy with the condition.

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
i purchased 30th August so i guess it is worth a try.
My 1 vacuum cleaner packed up yrs ago within warranty period and Takealot did an amazing job giving me a new one.
I have never had issues with Takealot since the day they started.
I will start my return process on my Ray Bans and see how it goes

themba990

Expert Member
i purchased 30th August so i guess it is worth a try.
My 1 vacuum cleaner packed up yrs ago within warranty period and Takealot did an amazing job giving me a new one.
I have never had issues with Takealot since the day they started.
I will start my return process on my Ray Bans and see how it goes
Lol, I think the mr Norris was asking the OP...

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
Lol, I think the mr Norris was asking the OP...
LOL I just saw now :laugh::ROFL: Anyways, I have submitted my pair for a refund/replacement. Pickup is tomorrow. Let's hope we can resolve this matter in a nice way

remus786

Expert Member
How long ago did you buy them?

If it's less than 30 days, you can send them back and get a refund - they are pretty anal about the 30 days, I've been down that road. If it's more and you're in the warranty period still, you can request a return. You're given the choice to get a refund or have it repaired / replaced if they are happy with the condition.
A mere 3x months old :(

Corelli

Expert Member
All new raybans are basically made in china so no difference. I had ones with lenses popping out the whole time and bought at the actual rayban shop on my side, and kept taking it back to get fixed.

may i suggest getting oakleys instead? they seem to last longer.

Dan C

Honorary Master
All new raybans are basically made in china so no difference. I had ones with lenses popping out the whole time and bought at the actual rayban shop on my side, and kept taking it back to get fixed.

may i suggest getting oakleys instead? they seem to last longer.
Had my Oakley's for years now. Still look brand new and I use them daily.

Baise

The lenses on my Oakley’s started delaminating after 2 years - didn’t want to know my story - chucked them away and will never buy Oakley again. Have a pair of Ray Bans that are 5 years old and a pair of Maui Jim’s that are 4 years old that are still perfect

RedViking

Nord of the South
Does Oakley make Aviator look alikes?

I know both Oakley and RayBan belongs to the same company.

Edit: Answering my own question.

Oakley Elmont:
1547577441571.png

Ray-Ban Aviator:
1547577476285.png

Last edited:

RedViking

Nord of the South
Any trustworthy online store to buy super strong and authentic RayBan and Oakleys?