Takealot UPS units - Fake reviews?

miltzi

I was looking at various UPS units on takealot, and was wondering if anyone has used one of the cheap ones for powering just their routers during load shedding.

Take this for example:
http://www.takealot.com/rct-650va-line-interactive-ups/PLID32714409

What seemed weird however was how overwhelmingly positive the reviews are on every single UPS on the takealot website. So good that they seem fake. I've never seen such reviews on any other type of product on takealot. Either these are some awesome UPS's, or takealot is messing with us.

Thoughts?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Maybe they're just good UPS's? If it was a local product I could understand a possible conflict of interest, but why would anyone care how well these things sell?

I have this UPS, also RCT:
http://www.takealot.com/rct-2000va-line-interactive-ups/PLID32714413

And it is brilliant. Lasts for quite a bit of time after the power has cut, despite powering my 700W PC and stacks of peripherals.

sgs

Noticed this a while ago. Identical reviews for different products from different people. Either fake or they have a bunch of people who buy power banks and copy reviews from other users.

Which do you think is more plausible? :)

Totempole

Expert Member
Maybe they're just good UPS's? If it was a local product I could understand a possible conflict of interest, but why would anyone care how well these things sell?

I have this UPS, also RCT:
http://www.takealot.com/rct-2000va-line-interactive-ups/PLID32714413

And it is brilliant. Lasts for quite a bit of time after the power has cut, despite powering my 700W PC and stacks of peripherals.
I bought 2 of these. Haven't really been in a position where I needed to test them. The only problem is there's no way to permanently disable the alarm beeps. If you power off the UPS via the button at the front, the alarm is enabled again.

SYNERGY

Executive Member
I bought 2 of these. Haven't really been in a position where I needed to test them. The only problem is there's no way to permanently disable the alarm beeps. If you power off the UPS via the button at the front, the alarm is enabled again.
Open it up and remove the beeper. I used a pair of pliers. It sits on the PC board on the roof of the unit.

FrankyF

I'm also looking for a UPS to power my ADSL router and two access points during loadshedding (around 3 hours' worth) - Any recommendations?

SYNERGY

Executive Member
I bought the 850 units and I used the software they provided to disable the beeps.
Only disable the beeps while the battery still has power. If you manage to run the battery flat/switch if off then it resets.

Software was my first choice.

Milano

Honorary Master
I'm also looking for a UPS to power my ADSL router and two access points during loadshedding (around 3 hours' worth) - Any recommendations?
Those RCT units on Talealot are excellent. I have the 2000VA RCT.

Milano

Honorary Master
What have you hooked up to your unit and how long does the battery last?
One runs 1 x router, 1 x LAN Switch, 1 x IP-PBX, 1 x SIP cordless phone base unit, 2 x LAN SIP hardwired phones - likely amounts to little - without any fuss through the two hours. Two others I will likely modify with 105ah batteries but hardly get load shed during non-business hrs so I am in two minds. If you need info, lots in the RCT UPS thread.

Last edited:

FrankyF

One runs 1 x router, 1 x LAN Switch, 1 x IP-PBX, 1 x SIP cordless phone base unit, 2 x LAN SIP hardwired phones - likely amounts to little - without any fuss through the two hours. Two others I will likely modify with 105ah batteries but hardly get load shed during business hrs so I am in two minds. If you need info, lots in the RCT UPS thread.
I wont run nearly as many devices off the UPS as you, I only want to run my ADSL router and two TPLink access points to keep my internet connection up during loadshedding.

Will have a look in the RCT UPS thread as well; Thanks!

SYNERGY

Executive Member
I wanna do the same. Did you get the batteries in Dbn? Where from and how much?
Getting it from a guy in Pinetown. He's doing the modification for me as well.

R1460 per battery. Brand: Energizer. R250 labour. Can PM you his details if you want.