Takealot vs Makro vs Everyshop vs Loot - Online shopping prices compared

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member

Louis72

Expert Member
This. Price isn't everything. Takealot is pretty much the only retailer that offers same-day or next-day delivery, and for me that's worth paying a premium for.
I must note that Incredible Connection had an SSD in stock that I needed rather urgently for R100 more than Takealot. I could order and collect at my incredible store same day.

Takealot said it would take 7 or more days to order from suppliers.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
This. Price isn't everything. Takealot is pretty much the only retailer that offers same-day or next-day delivery, and for me that's worth paying a premium for.
The one gripe i have with Takealot, is that they have so many different sellers/suppliers who sometimes offer the same product, at very big differences in price.

As an example, i bought an Alva gas stove for R379. Just below that, the same stove is being sold for R699. It gets a bit confusing at times.

Another product had 3 different suppliers, all 3 different prices. I know its cool that Takealot allows people and businesses to sell their stuff online with them, but you have to make sure that the same product isnt available for cheaper..

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The others really need to get their act together. Takealot is not perfect but there is good reason for their dominance in the online space.

I think the problem is that unlike Takealot, most small online retailers don't actually keep any stock in-house, so every time you order from them it takes ages to get the product.

Milano

Honorary Master
I think the problem is that unlike Takealot, most small online retailers don't actually keep any stock in-house, so every time you order from them it takes ages to get the product.
Thinking primarily of the large competitors in the comparison table. They fall short badly in service, delivery and returns. They should be putting the heat on takealot but they are just not up to the task.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Its not a bad practice or strategy that, as it lowers the possibility of stock loss, if those products dont sell. But agree, its also not ideal when it comes to quick delivery times, because you now have to contact that supplier to get the stock shipped off.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
They should do what Amazon does where they list the buying options under one product page.
Agree... I have to check if there isnt the same product, way down the page, just to be sure that im not paying more for the same item.

grok

Honorary Master
No need to rank the online shoppers, or not order from any of them, just google & order from whomever's the cheapest (except Makro deliveries you do not want to go there!)

For example I bought this B&W 3-in-1 lazer from Loot in May for a ridonculous price just by shopping around.

1633675156570.png

DearHeart

Expert Member
Ditto to all the kudos that go to Takealot, having bought from all the mentioned online shops. Just to add my 2c (ex Vat) worth, price is not everything. I've returned several items to Takealot within their 30 day policy, only one was a faulty product which was fetched and replaced within a week.

On the other hand, check the message below in the order confirmation from IC, enough said...

Please be reminded to inspect your purchase at delivery to ensure you are happy with the working condition. We unfortunately cannot assist with claims for damaged or faulty products unless inspected at delivery.