Takealot vs Makro vs Everyshop vs Loot - Online shopping prices compared

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
With only eight products in your sampling, you can make a case for any online retailer.
Several times I've bought from Incredible Connection because their prices were the cheapest on those products. Also with fast and free delivery.
There was a time you could confidently do all your shopping at Takealot, but it pays to shop around.

Intox

Ditto to all the kudos that go to Takealot, having bought from all the mentioned online shops. Just to add my 2c (ex Vat) worth, price is not everything. I've returned several items to Takealot within their 30 day policy, only one was a faulty product which was fetched and replaced within a week.

On the other hand, check the message below in the order confirmation from IC, enough said...

Please be reminded to inspect your purchase at delivery to ensure you are happy with the working condition. We unfortunately cannot assist with claims for damaged or faulty products unless inspected at delivery.

This is exactly why I like Takealot so much, if anything goes wrong then I am much more likely to get a good resolution with Takealot.

Geewiz is very good as well, have not used their warranty or returns yet so can't comment on that.

On a side note I use other shops for PC hardware, between woot and progenix I am quite happy with aftersales.
Wootware is excellent, gold standard, last warranty claim went very smoothly for a faulty Seagate drive.
Progenix, excellent after sales service, they definitely went the extra mile to help me with my last purchase.

Last edited:

Nereus77

Loot. Loot is ****.

I once bought a TV from Loot. It took ages to arrive via courier. When it arrived the box looked sketchy and it seemed like a returned model as cables were not tied, plastic trimming was bulging. We turned it on and sure enough it was damaged. We returned it for a full refund.

Bought the exact same TV from Takelaot, albeit slightly more expensive. It arrived promptly by courier. Opened the box to find it pristine. Still working great to this day.

From this experience I will never buy from Loot again. Why must I deal with possibly tampered, broken goods? If I'm buying something new, it needs to be new. But, ooh, its sLiGhtLy cHeApeR?! Big woop, if the customer service isn't there being cheap won't save you.

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
No need to rank the online shoppers, or not order from any of them, just google & order from whomever's the cheapest (except Makro deliveries you do not want to go there!)

For example I bought this B&W 3-in-1 lazer from Loot in May for a ridonculous price just by shopping around.

View attachment 1162782

yeah i also picked up the tablet i wanted for R800 less that most places

the price did go up though after i bought from loot

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Loot. Loot is ****.

I once bought a TV from Loot. It took ages to arrive via courier. When it arrived the box looked sketchy and it seemed like a returned model as cables were not tied, plastic trimming was bulging. We turned it on and sure enough it was damaged. We returned it for a full refund.

Bought the exact same TV from Takelaot, albeit slightly more expensive. It arrived promptly by courier. Opened the box to find it pristine. Still working great to this day.

From this experience I will never buy from Loot again. Why must I deal with possibly tampered, broken goods? If I'm buying something new, it needs to be new. But, ooh, its sLiGhtLy cHeApeR?! Big woop, if the customer service isn't there being cheap won't save you.
So you don't have a problem with Iqbal Surve the person?

Corelli

Expert Member
Morally I will not buy from LOOT at all. Its good we know who the owner is. I will not allow him to profit anymore. All moral South Africans should buy from stores where the profits only go to good South Africans.

RARU is missing from the list. Not the greatest but I support them. More the gaming side. Was the creators of Shoppingmatrix and Takealot. Pity they dont have that overseas order items, and I will they would remove out of stock items from their shopping lists, similar to what takealot has done. So when search, only allow for items you can order.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
lol @ Incredible Corruption...

I buy a lot from IC and find they are better than other stores with certain products. All my DELL monitors have been from them and they had some insane specials on WD Blue NVME drives.

My most recent purchases:

R599 - Western Digital Blue SN550 SSD 250GB (NVME M.2)
RRP R1699 (Everyshop)

R499 - Thronmax Mdrill One Slate Grey
RRP R1799 (HiFi Corp)

R1999 - Western Digital Blue SN550 SSD 1TB (NVME M.2)
RRP R2699 (Takealot)

(RRP refers to "true" online prices and not marketing)

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
Where do you live ? I've ordered plenty plenty times from them and not waited more than 3 days.
Pretoria. I've ordered from them twice and both times we had issues with delivery and once with returns.

CommonSense

Morally I will not buy from LOOT at all. Its good we know who the owner is. I will not allow him to profit anymore. All moral South Africans should buy from stores where the profits only go to good South Africans.

RARU is missing from the list. Not the greatest but I support them. More the gaming side. Was the creators of Shoppingmatrix and Takealot. Pity they dont have that overseas order items, and I will they would remove out of stock items from their shopping lists, similar to what takealot has done. So when search, only allow for items you can order.

That is all good an well, but you do you.

For me personally, I think all companies have something hidden in their cuboards. Whether it is how they treat their staff or in what the shareholders invest in as well. If you dig deep enough you will find issues with everyone.
One one is morally clean.

I just view it now as a business transaction where I part with my hard earned money and thus I want the cheapest price, nevermind where I can find it (other than obviously stolen goods - that is where I draw the line. Other might go further or draw the line earlier).

Hell, even Nestle should not be supported for what hey did in Zimbabwe. Clover should not be supported in the Western Cape for closing their Parow factory. See where this will end up? At the end of the day it is not practical to use morality (which is fluid in any case) as your guide.

Let me re-iterate. I can't fault you on your view. You are as much entitled to that stance and it is very principled, but not everyone sees things the same.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I buy a lot from IC and find they are better than other stores with certain products. All my DELL monitors have been from them and they had some insane specials on WD Blue NVME drives.

My most recent purchases:

R599 - Western Digital Blue SN550 SSD 250GB (NVME M.2)
RRP R1699 (Everyshop)

R499 - Thronmax Mdrill One Slate Grey
RRP R1799 (HiFi Corp)

R1999 - Western Digital Blue SN550 SSD 1TB (NVME M.2)
RRP R2699 (Takealot)

(RRP refers to "true" online prices and not marketing)
1633681643897.png

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
surely an opportunity to pitch a decent search engine/database solution to them. How can it be so bad in 2021.
Then you don't understand search.

The PRO Stamps trigrams matched very well to the search term. Using a department filter helps the user to get more specific search results.

People are quick to knock search results of bigger online stores but they don't realise the size of the catalogues they are searching. Amazon is not an exception, their search also needs users to drill down but they are however the best at getting users to subconsciously indicate what department they are looking in.

• Haha
Reactions: Swa

wingnut771

Honorary Master

Hell, even Nestle should not be supported for what hey did in Zimbabwe. Clover should not be supported in the Western Cape for closing their Parow factory. See where this will end up? At the end of the day it is not practical to use morality (which is fluid in any case) as your guide.

Let me re-iterate. I can't fault you on your view. You are as much entitled to that stance and it is very principled, but not everyone sees things the same.
I shouldn't support Nestle because they refused to buy from a farm Mugabe expropriated (stole)?