Takealot vs Makro vs Everyshop vs Loot - Online shopping prices compared

Russell S

Takealot is not perfect but they get a lot right. Their collection points are a great addition - no more sitting at the office waiting for the delivery van that never comes.

The biggest concern I have with them is their rating and review system. I submitted a mediocre review for a keypad because the first time I was supplied with a faulty item and then the replacement did not have a jumper bar (which was supplied with the first one and is critical to the functioning of the device). Takealot simply neglected to publish this review, which makes me question their entire review and rating system...

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
I think the problem is that unlike Takealot, most small online retailers don't actually keep any stock in-house, so every time you order from them it takes ages to get the product.
It's not just about having stock on hand. It's about creating an effective and standardised platform for third party sellers and customers. A lot of Takealot's (and Amazon's for that matter) sales now come from third parties.

The ability to service customers in the same way, irrespective of who they buy from, is the differentiating factor. Keeping stock on hand, while handy, is quickly becoming dated...

undesign

Executive Member
Terrible title. Dethroned a bit of a strong word there!

PS Makro…worst shopping experience I’ve ever had, they are clueless
PSS Loot…Ibal /nuff said
PSSS Incredible Corruption…no words

Last edited:

Botha22

You know what is the sad part? I would rather pay a bit more and still go with takealot. I rather not deal with the other shops if something goes wrong
You get a bit more excitement with the other shops than with Takealot - not knowing when or whether your item will ever be delivered.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
You get a bit more excitement with the other shops than with Takealot - not knowing when or whether your item will ever be delivered.

TBH, I've ordered from both Loot and Everyshop recently, and there were zero issues.. Items were delivered correctly, and in the time frame they specified.

hj007

Expert Member
Then you don't understand search.

The PRO Stamps trigrams matched very well to the search term. Using a department filter helps the user to get more specific search results.

People are quick to knock search results of bigger online stores but they don't realise the size of the catalogues they are searching. Amazon is not an exception, their search also needs users to drill down but they are however the best at getting users to subconsciously indicate what department they are looking in.
Nope, Makro's search is junk, always has been -

If you type redmi from the homepage it starts with Xiaomi redmi. Soon as you start typing in more it contextualizes it more towards notes instead of zooming in on more keywords.

By comparison everyshop does a far better job, considering it also sells a lot of "notes" for writing.

1633725141204.png

Reactions: Swa

emperornemesis

Be very very careful when ordering from Takealot, as their name implies that they take a lot of chance. Bought a Logitech G602 from them in 2015. These mice come with a three year warranty. Due to too much Minecraft, the right button gave in and I logged a warranty call with Takealot. Something just told me, make a screenshot of the page displaying the warranty before hand. I did so and then got a email response that the mouse was only guaranteed for 6 months. Went to their website and they totally changed the warranty period to 6 months. I sent them a strongly worded email with my screenshot and they then refunded me. Since then I have noticed a plethora of products that only come with a 6 month warranty / guarantee even though the manufacturer specifies a longer period. Takealot has gone to pot since being taken over by the pseudo communists at Naspers. They don't care about the customer and certainly don't care much about honesty. I have dealt with all the other stores except Everyshop, and I can say they all offer better service than Takealot.

emperornemesis

Its not a bad practice or strategy that, as it lowers the possibility of stock loss, if those products dont sell. But agree, its also not ideal when it comes to quick delivery times, because you now have to contact that supplier to get the stock shipped off.
There are two problems with Takealot however. They aporoach distributors to get certain "stock clearance" items at better prices, which they do. There is a catch however, they can only swap out a defctive unit if they still have some in stock. It also means that their stock is fixed in price because they actually keep stock. Let's say Samsung sells them 100 end of line TVs at R4k each. Then the next month, Samsung introduces a new line with same features and size, but at a lower entry point of maybe R3500. This means that Takealot is left with older more expensive models that they already paid for, only for other retailers to undercut them. The other thing they do, is to have a agreement with distributors whereby they might not keep stock of those items, but they basically get preferential treatment in the packaging and shipping from those distributors. That is why some of the items have waiting times of up to 2 weeks. Generally, Takealot is not nearly as good as they seem to be. Like all enterprises, they may have started out trying to be good, but now it's a profit driven machine there to exploit unsuspecting customers, and they do exploit. Just give it a test, make a note of their prices and specials long before Black Friday and compare the actual prices on the day. They have been known in the past to actually increase prices during Black Friday, as have a lot of other SA retailers.

emperornemesis

Then you don't understand search.

The PRO Stamps trigrams matched very well to the search term. Using a department filter helps the user to get more specific search results.

People are quick to knock search results of bigger online stores but they don't realise the size of the catalogues they are searching. Amazon is not an exception, their search also needs users to drill down but they are however the best at getting users to subconsciously indicate what department they are looking in.
Go try searching on Bid-or-Buy, an absolute nightmare, and not just because people list stationery and underwear in the computer category for example, but also because those same people use the entire english dictionary as keywords for their products. The initial search won't be too bad, but then once you sort by price, then the panties, toothbrushes, razors, sex toys, car parts and washing power all appear when all you were looking for was a SSD. BoB's technical explanation for this war crime was that it's all down to keywords.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I buy from whoever gives the best after sales service and have reasonable prices even if it is slightly more expensive than another shop.

There are only two shops that has this.

Takealot
Geewiz

The rest if you buy from them it is a gamble.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
Go try searching on Bid-or-Buy, an absolute nightmare, and not just because people list stationery and underwear in the computer category for example, but also because those same people use the entire english dictionary as keywords for their products. The initial search won't be too bad, but then once you sort by price, then the panties, toothbrushes, razors, sex toys, car parts and washing power all appear when all you were looking for was a SSD. BoB's technical explanation for this war crime was that it's all down to keywords.

But the fact you can mention all the low scoring search results shows the search did its intended job, to get you to look and be curious. Could also have been a recommendations engine based on your general internet search patterns, you know Facebook tracks everything you do, even in Incognito mode ;)

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
Nope, Makro's search is junk, always has been -

If you type redmi from the homepage it starts with Xiaomi redmi. Soon as you start typing in more it contextualizes it more towards notes instead of zooming in on more keywords.

By comparison everyshop does a far better job, considering it also sells a lot of "notes" for writing.

View attachment 1163264

Let me explain why your experience is disappointing:

Your search term is "Redmi Note 10", three search words but only one is matched to an actual phone and two words for one of the accessories:

Makro has the following Redmi mobile phones:

* Xiaomi 64GB Redmi 9C Dual Sim Twilight Blue
* Xiaomi 64GB Redmi 9C Dual Sim Midnight Grey

And Redmi accessories:

* Raz Tech Protective Shockproof Gel Case for Xiaomi Redmi 9 (2020)
* Raz Tech Tempered Glass for Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 (Pack of 2)

Now go look at the other search results being ranked higher and most, not all, will match more words. Reindexing large catalogues is not quick, it takes hours and sometimes days. Search is always a best effort, it's not perfect.

You are getting frustrated because you are using bad search keywords so try better keywords.

1633766055331.png

emperornemesis

But the fact you can mention all the low scoring search results shows the search did its intended job, to get you to look and be curious. Could also have been a recommendations engine based on your general internet search patterns, you know Facebook tracks everything you do, even in Incognito mode ;)
Have not had Facebook for years, and I use Firefox's containers that prevent sites from following me around the web. That being said, the suggested products have absolutely nothing to do with my web history. Their developers explained the working of their search engine down to the use of keywords, and the devil is in the details. As stated, sellers use non relevant keywords to have their panties and sex toys listed on the same results page as high probability items like laptops, televisions and other electronics. BoB knows this is the case, but they choose not to act upon it. There are also a lot of people listing their goods in the wrong category in order to get a higher probability of being seen, like stationery retailers who list their products in the computer or electronics categories. I mean, honestly, who will pay R100 shipping for a pack of pens. This is the reason why the proper categories get less attention, and thus the reason why those morons keep on listing it in the wrong category. This is a case of having a rather good search engine being sabotaged by seller who think that people would pay horrendous shipping in order to get a pen for R2 where it is sold by CNA for R4 for instance. And before you comment, most seller actually charge you extra to combine orders. So your original amount for shipping would be R100, but each additional item would be R5 extra for example.

Swa

Honorary Master
Always said Loot was the cheapest

Lol good luck with ordering from Loot. You might get your stuff in a month or so if at all and good luck trying to return it!

Worst online shop.
Don't know where you get that, it's always been days for me. Takealot I once paid for quick deliver for a power supply I needed urgently and it still took almost a week. I returned one that did too much mining and all they said was it needed to go in for testing as it was a warranty claim and not a faulty item. As the item was no longer in stock they offered me to either wait for it or give a credit. That only took a few weeks.