Takealot's dominance in South Africa explained

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Takealot's dominance in South Africa explained

The dominance of Takealot and other major players in South Africa’s digital market has been proactively mentioned in the Competition Commission's draft paper on Competition in the Digital Economy.

Commissioner Tembinkosi Bonakele recently reiterated the Commission’s commitment to actively investigating and creating new regulations that would prevent the abuse of dominance by major firms.

bro-da

they do what they say they will....... literally that is all.

but since no one else here does -> profit!

Reactions: Azg

Markd

Expert Member
When I used to run an online store I remember being contacted by a supplier threatening to close my account because my prices were below their RRP. I had to explain that I was just matching Takealots pricing on the same product and if they wanted me to sell at RRP they would need to sort out Takealot first. To their credit, they did and Takealot reverted to RRP prices. But generally across all other lines, Takealots prices were insanely low. Also barriers to entry for small online retailers are really low so it is hard to stand out. We did better than most but ultimately you realise that you are a fly compared to this giant and without huge capital investment it's almost a futile exercise unless you are selling something that is unique and needed/wanted by a critical mass of people. Sold that business, learned a lot, probably not going back.

The above said, I've noticed that especially in electronics Takealots pricing is really bad, and their continue to be unethical practices of telling you something is x% off when actually it's just the regular price. Like even Incredible Connection have better pricing on items now! Black Friday will once again be a bit of a con for the gullible.

boboudts

Maybe the offended "shops" should market specials on sour grapes by the crate load...bound to be lots of small minded takers who hate success and will not accept their own ineptitude and faliure!....phht

username and 23 others

Why can't we celebrate Takealot as "one of our own"?

A local success story (OK their funding is not 100% local). Here's a company that sees itself competing with international companies like Amazon and Alibaba! They still have a long way to go, but still...

I love their "lax return policy", after having being burnt to a crisp by unethical local dealers.
The above said, I've noticed that especially in electronics Takealots pricing is really bad, and their continue to be unethical practices of telling you something is x% off when actually it's just the regular price. Like even Incredible Connection have better pricing on items now! Black Friday will once again be a bit of a con for the gullible.
Seriously, there is a gap here for disruption. Can't these other (electronic) stores get together and take the fight to Takealot?
I had to explain that I was just matching Takealots pricing on the same product and if they wanted me to sell at RRP they would need to sort out Takealot first. To their credit, they did and Takealot reverted to RRP prices.
Now this needs to be investigated.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I love @TAKEALOT and have supported them 100% since day 1 literally
Today for the 1st time I went and picked up my parcel at a delivery point for R25 delivery because it was under R450 and what a pleasant surprise how well that went.

The staff at the Somerset West branch were full of smiles and laughs and very cheerful at 6 pm. I was in and out in under 90 seconds

Well Done :thumbsup:

Iwojima

Expert Member
There's plenty to complain about as far Takealot is concerned. How they achieved market dominance out of the ashes of Take2 however is not one.

Afon Kulikov

Forging
9c9a7825a3c7b95a0726a46cd268270b.jpg

access

Honorary Master
its strange sometimes searching for items on takealot, multiple prices for the same item, most annoying thing is when i only find it after ive purchased.

best return policy ive experienced was the courier showing up with the replacement item and takes your return item. but this was in the uk. my mind was blown. lol

have a friend that does automation and audio/video things, his client bought some stuff from takealot after making him requote a few times to try and beat takealot prices, not telling him he is quoting against takealot... when a device failed he phoned my friend and asked if he could return it to the supplier for him because takealot was giving issues. what a tit some people are. naturally he told the guy he should sort out his purchase where he bought it, he wouldve happily helped if it was purchased through him.

cda

When I used to run an online store I remember being contacted by a supplier threatening to close my account because my prices were below their RRP.

Uh.. Thats like majorly illegal.

quovadis

Executive Member
If anything Takealot has at least improved the bar set in terms of delivery and service from online stores. I'm not quite sure how I feel though about market dominance and the future ramifications are in the hands of Naspers though.