Takealot's dominance is good news for lower prices, for now

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Takealot's dominance is good news for lower prices, for now

Instead of increasing prices, dominant ecommerce players typically drive prices down to increase their market share and force competitors onto their platform.

This is the feedback from World Wide Worx MD Arthur Goldstuck, who was commenting on the Competition Commission’s online intermediation platforms market inquiry.

The inquiry is a proactive measure to get a greater understanding of the online markets operating in South Africa.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Lower prices, L-O-L, the dominant players are price gouging.

JohnMao

Executive Member
Do they do this with some of their fake discounts they offer? For the most part, smaller LEGO stores in RSA are cheaper than Takealot. And that's just 1 example.

Thor

Honorary Master
LOL, in what world is that good for price?

Is this a paid-for article?

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
Takealot seemed to have put in a lot of effort into their marketing efforts, I have seen tons of their ads on Facebook since yesterday.

They will dominate for now but it's only a matter of time before someone starts competing with them. South Africans are also generally quite skeptical of using international websites and the long-waiting times benefits Takealot.

zulucat

Expert Member
It's not their prices, it's their reliability... They are far more reliable than all the other online shops. They WILL deliver correct goods before time often.

maessof

They also will not let you cancel orders , even if you try to cancel the order 1 minute after ordering. Such an unnecessary hassle.

surface

Honorary Master
What I find it amazing is that in last one year, I returned 5 items for not good quality/defective and TAL refunded credit to my account as per their 30 day returns policy but no body bothered to collect till I logged a ticket myself. This happened 3 times out of 5 (so 3 tickets, one each time) which makes me wonder about profit margin it is for resellers & TAL if they are not keen on taking products back.