Talk to me about hunting in South Africa.

notayoba

Expert Member
Hoping to tap into some local hunters' knowledge.

I'm a keen sports shooter (pistol, clay pigeon and target rifles) and I'm toying with the idea of getting into hunting.

I'm not actually all that keen on killing an animal, but also realise it's properly hypocritical to eat a steers burger and then get all touchy when it comes to shooting it yourself.

I'm in the southern cape, and from what I can see Springbok and Kudu are what's available within weekend range.

Any input on calibers and rifle brands that are locally available with good support? Not looking to spend a fortune, but also don't want junk. I've been watching a lot of YouTube, but it's mostly US centric.

So basically, any general hunting for meat talk.

ChuckMeFarley

Djarre julle ouens is fancy met julle 308's, SFP scopes en k@k.

I was given a .303 SMLE with iron sights as my first. 174gr FMJ cordite ammo and all. Click, wait, wait, wait, BOOM. Walk and stalk to get within range of those iron sights though... I pulled thorns out for days.

Magnum

Executive Member
Very nice Functional hunting is hire an Open pickup/Double cab Put some valuables on the back without securing them. Drive to any hot spot and get a high vantage point. Targets should be lining up within minutes for Headshots.

HunterNW

Honorary Master
Very nice Functional hunting is hire an Open pickup/Double cab Put some valuables on the back without securing them. Drive to any hot spot and get a high vantage point. Targets should be lining up within minutes for Headshots.
No KFC allowed inside - That's called baiting.

HunterNW

Honorary Master
Djarre julle ouens is fancy met julle 308's, SFP scopes en k@k.

I was given a .303 SMLE with iron sights as my first. 174gr FMJ cordite ammo and all. Click, wait, wait, wait, BOOM. Walk and stalk to get within range of those iron sights though... I pulled thorns out for days.
Were scopes even a thing in 1936 ?

gbyleveldt

Expert Member
I've ever hunted before, what is the best way to start?

No, I don't have friends.
Well, the big issue is that you don’t know if you’d like it. So first start would be to make contact with an outfitter that can take you on a hunt so you get the full experience without the pain of getting a rifle. You’ll either love it, or be grossed out by it. Depending on the outcome, you can then decide to go from there.

I can’t recommend someone off hand (not sure what area you in, or how Far you willing to travel), but best place is to join one of the hunting groups on FB and enquire there about outfitters in your area of interest.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Well, the big issue is that you don’t know if you’d like it. So first start would be to make contact with an outfitter that can take you on a hunt so you get the full experience without the pain of getting a rifle. You’ll either love it, or be grossed out by it. Depending on the outcome, you can then decide to go from there.

I can’t recommend someone off hand (not sure what area you in, or how Far you willing to travel), but best place is to join one of the hunting groups on FB and enquire there about outfitters in your area of interest.
I'm in KZN. I don't mind paying for an experience, reasonably. Pongola? Problem is I don't want to spend a night or two with a bunch of drunk Steve Hofmeyr type people.

HunterNW

Honorary Master
I'm in KZN. I don't mind paying for an experience, reasonably. Pongola? Problem is I don't want to spend a night or two with a bunch of drunk Steve Hofmeyr type people.
There's a farm in Pongola i've been hunting at for a couple of years. Can give you their info and maybe they'll accommodate you ?

gbyleveldt

Expert Member
I don’t like unfamiliar groups either. The people (or lack of) that you go with is part of the experience and retards can ruin any trip, no matter how good the actual hunting was. Pongola and HluHluwe areas are popular, but from memory that’s tough hunting as bush is thick.

Do you have any thoughts on what you’d like to hunt? Or you just want to experience it, and not particularly picky? These are the things an outfitter would want to know. Also a good idea to be upfront and tell him its your first time and what you hope to get out of the experience. Just remember that a Blesbok might be R2k, but the trip can easily work out to R10k. If you ok with that, then get onto FB and ask for suggestions of good outfitters (of course, be aware of scammers as there’s many). Some game farms would also be able to offer a turnkey service, so good idea to research farms in your area and make contact with them. They’d be more keen to take on single hunters midweek rather than during the weekends in season, but many farms have permits to hunt out of season, so that might be something to consider as well.

gbyleveldt

Expert Member
Do they have people that take you out for a hunt? When is hunting season? What does it cost?
If it’s your first time at any farm, you can be guaranteed that they’d send you out with someone. So no need to worry about being dropped off in the middle of the bush and left up to your own devices haha.

Hunting season is usually May to August. See comment earlier about possible out of season hunting. Might be better in your case

RedViking

Nord of the South
I don’t like unfamiliar groups either. The people (or lack of) that you go with is part of the experience and retards can ruin any trip, no matter how good the actual hunting was. Pongola and HluHluwe areas are popular, but from memory that’s tough hunting as bush is thick.

Do you have any thoughts on what you’d like to hunt? Or you just want to experience it, and not particularly picky? These are the things an outfitter would want to know. Also a good idea to be upfront and tell him its your first time and what you hope to get out of the experience. Just remember that a Blesbok might be R2k, but the trip can easily work out to R10k. If you ok with that, then get onto FB and ask for suggestions of good outfitters (of course, be aware of scammers as there’s many). Some game farms would also be able to offer a turnkey service, so good idea to research farms in your area and make contact with them. They’d be more keen to take on single hunters midweek rather than during the weekends in season, but many farms have permits to hunt out of season, so that might be something to consider as well.
I'm gonna have to save up a bit, but that sounds great. I guess I would also need to get someone to process the meat as well afterwords.

RedViking

Nord of the South
If it’s your first time at any farm, you can be guaranteed that they’d send you out with someone. So no need to worry about being dropped off in the middle of the bush and left up to your own devices haha
Well, they gonna have to give me a gun as well. :X3: I don't think my leatherman will do me any good.

HunterNW

Honorary Master
Do they have people that take you out for a hunt? When is hunting season? What does it cost?
Of course. I don't know what they'll charge you to use their guns, etc. You can phone and find out ?
We're a group that hunts there and have our own guns and hunting vehicle.
Unfortunately i can't invite you - Steve's people you know.