Talking Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strobemeister

Expert Member
One of our subscribers reports that certain reports he generates using our app/database prints out in an asian language. These are in the Crystal Reports format, and we create special ones specifically for our Cape Town Subscribers, based on their needs, and add it manually to the main folder after installation. I'm going over there tomorrow to sort it out, but wouldn't mind a heads-up if any forumites have had similar issues & a handy solution.
[:)]

Telkom - South Africa's Handbrake to progress.

mbs

Expert Member
Weird. Nevertheless, you don't provide enough info to home-in on the prospective cause. All I can think of, is that either the database or Crystal has a locale setting somewhere that is causing the Japanese, if this is a 'print-to-file' job. It could even be the interface being used to the database (<i>a la</i> ODBC or other interface mechanism). If it's a 'print-to-file and display-to-browser' job, maybe the browser is causing the problem, through its character encoding setting. If it's a 'print-to-hardcopy' job, it could even be the printer, depending on its capabilities, or the interpretation of the driver being used (which is why I prefer plain vanilla ASCII or at most Postscript level 2). You'll have to check all of these - of course, the actual cause is never what you would think, according to Murphy, I believe - GL!

mbs

Expert Member
I just remembered - years ago in my M$ days I zapped printing problems at a client's premises with a utility called LeadTools, which standardised print output for everybody. If you want to investigate further, check the link
http://www.leadtools.com/utilities/printerdriver/eprint_printer_driver.htm

Strobemeister

Expert Member
thanks mbs, i couldn't solve the problem while there yesterday, so i'll look into your suggestions. i think that they have another app using crystal decisions which doesn't like it when our app tries to change its settings. i gave them a workaround for the meantime. we offer the same facility online, so they can just generate reports from the website, which seems to work fine, and is not a big deal for them as they have adsl.
cheers [:D]

Telkom - South Africa's Handbrake to progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.