Tanzania orders the shut down of unlicensed blogs and forums

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Tanzania orders the shut down of unlicensed blogs and forums

Tanzania has warned unregistered bloggers and operators of online forums that they must shut down their websites or face criminal prosecution, Reuters reported.

The Tanzania Communications Regulatory Authority (TCRA) passed regulations in March 2018 compelling those who publish content online – including bloggers and operators of YouTube channels – to register with the government.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Are they targeting everyone or just citizens? Imagine if a youtuber or RPM visited and got arrested for not registering with the government.

Last edited:

Ninja'd

A Djinn
When I was a kid I thought Tanzania and Mdantsane were the same place since they sound similar.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Indeed they do, exactly the same thing, via the FPB
soon enough, SA/african countries will be behind the great Chinese Firewall,

only a matter of Time It seems.

and even in China, people get past the firewall quite easily.

point being is China is not a democracy, so citizen surveillance is quite easy to pull off.
how do they intend to do it locally?

rorz0r

Executive Member
soon enough, SA/african countries will be behind the great Chinese Firewall,

only a matter of Time It seems.

and even in China, people get past the firewall quite easily.

point being is China is not a democracy, so citizen surveillance is quite easy to pull off.
how do they intend to do it locally?
The same way...

eg2505

Honorary Master
The same way...
how, that was my question,

via apps like wechat? or via cameras that use vision systems to see behaviors of people?
also africa is vast, how do they intend to cover the distances?

also how do they intend to utilize these systems? for government control?
in a democracy like South Africa, with a free and vocal press?

I mean in Zim, sure its possible, not that it matters a lot,
where you need a Licence to own a photocopier.

/puts on my anonymous mask

but locally, how many people here on mybb especially, would just use VPN constantly or TOR if it was possible.

problem is its next to impossible to effectively control the internet, no matter how much some delusional governments think it is.

they come up with ways, immediately they get bypassed, now in China they just roll up in a police car, and black bag them to some detention facility.
but locally? how do they do these kinds of things with a democracy?

rorz0r

Executive Member
how, that was my question,

via apps like wechat? or via cameras that use vision systems to see behaviors of people?
also africa is vast, how do they intend to cover the distances?

also how do they intend to utilize these systems? for government control?
in a democracy like South Africa, with a free and vocal press?

I mean in Zim, sure its possible, not that it matters a lot,
where you need a Licence to own a photocopier.

/puts on my anonymous mask

but locally, how many people here on mybb especially, would just use VPN constantly or TOR if it was possible.

problem is its next to impossible to effectively control the internet, no matter how much some delusional governments think it is.

they come up with ways, immediately they get bypassed, now in China they just roll up in a police car, and black bag them to some detention facility.
but locally? how do they do these kinds of things with a democracy?
Laws requiring isps to log traffic, filter traffic etc etc
Laws requiring licenses to own a computer/laptop/cellphone (already need one for tvs, need to rica for sim card etc)

Why does a free and vocal press matter if no-one cares? They could come out tomorrow and say they want to monitor all internet traffic to identity racists and and the majority would be overwhelmingly positive.

No need for black bags when there are plenty willing to kill/rape etc for their next meal.

hj007

Where is Tanzania?

Haha just joking, I know it's near South Australia.

Sorry you guys have an oppressive Gov but I guess someone needs to replace N.Korea now that the US are friends.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
The repression in Tanzania is becoming more blatant, and the SA government is not helping: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2018-11-13-my-nasty-encounter-with-tanzanian-repression/

We embarked on a 10-day visit to Tanzania, primarily as a networking and fact-finding mission to gauge media freedom in Magufuli’s Tanzania. We had nothing to hide, and even had a letter of invitation from the government-recognised press regulator. But then I heard a knock on my hotel room door...
So on Monday, when Minister Lindiwe Sisulu ignored what we had told the SA High Commission and accepted Tanzania’s false justification that we had been detained for working with tourist visas, I was outraged. I took it more personally than the government-aligned Tanzanite newspaper’s ludicrous attempts to discredit us with a false and defamatory cover story branding us as spies.