Tapatalk alternative

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Review above a bit harsh eh especially since there are no alternatives.

New update is an improvement - moving in the right direction

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Still a crap app. Downloaded the update to see if they reverted to the old tapatalk and what do you know... They haven't. Deleted again and left another negative review. Piece of horse dung.

Worst app ever.

Still a crap app. Downloaded the update to see if they reverted to the old tapatalk and what do you know... They haven't. Deleted again and left another negative review. Piece of horse dung.

Worst app ever.

Review above a bit tharsh eh especially since there are no alternatives.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I honestly don't get all the hate in this thread. I have used Tapatalk every day since shortly after it first hit the Play Store. The interface change was jarring, sure, but in no time you just get used to it. I didn't revert to the old version because the swiping and quick reply is super useful. The new Tapatalk has given me no trouble and is still my most used app.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
I honestly don't get all the hate in this thread. I have used Tapatalk every day since shortly after it first hit the Play Store. The interface change was jarring, sure, but in no time you just get used to it. I didn't revert to the old version because the swiping and quick reply is super useful. The new Tapatalk has given me no trouble and is still my most used app.

Colour me unsurprised. :p

Hamster

Resident Rodent
You have to skip WHY they are changing the interface so much. Never ever have I seen an app/software that changes this much per release. I bet you they would stop their little interface experience nets if there was an alternative.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
You have to skip WHY they are changing the interface so much. Never ever have I seen an app/software that changes this much per release. I bet you they would stop their little interface experience nets if there was an alternative.

I'm only aware of one UI change? It had the first 'read/unread' layout with tabs along the top, and then it changed to the current layout with a side panel and additional landing screens you can swipe between.

I just ignore that trending and merged nonsense. If you leave your landing page as the list of forums you've added then it stays that way. I use the side panel within a particular forum to alternate between participated and timeline. No probs for me, and it's pretty easy going.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I'm only aware of one UI change? It had the first 'read/unread' layout with tabs along the top, and then it changed to the current layout with a side panel and additional landing screens you can swipe between.

I just ignore that trending and merged nonsense. If you leave your landing page as the list of forums you've added then it stays that way. I use the side panel within a particular forum to alternate between participated and timeline. No probs for me, and it's pretty easy going.
First it was a list of the thread names.
Then it got the panel with te preview.
Then they changed it (for a very brief moment) to have this very buggy transparent black menu on the side for the forums view.
Now they have the threads showing as these huge blocks with a tiny thread title on the right hand side.

And those are just the ones I remember. Can't wait for the next update, maybe we'll get to see the threads as tiles!

It's ****ing ridiculous.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Just to make sure we're on the same page, this is what my forum view looks like:

uploadfromtaptalk1422686748961.jpg

Swiping gives me the image below:

What's wrong with that? Pressing back takes me to my list of forums.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422686784415.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422686784415.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Just to make sure we're on the same page… at the top of mine it says "iPhone and iPad"… ;)

Looney

Executive Member
Review above a bit tharsh eh especially since there are no alternatives.

No, I don't think my review above is a bit harsh. I think that my review is pretty damn accurate to be honest.

They took my favorite app and demolished it. All because they want to try and gain more female users.

The new update is no better then the Christmas update, maybe less buggy but that's it. In terms of usability, UI, simplessness, it's still horrible.

They have made it pretty damn clear that this is the new way forward and have no interest at listening to their users to bring back the old version.
They couldn't give a toss about their users.

So for that, I'll avoid this app.

I'm using the Mybb app and I'm happy with it. Does what it needs to.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
No, I don't think my review above is a bit harsh. I think that my review is pretty damn accurate to be honest.

They took my favorite app and demolished it. All because they want to try and gain more female users.

The new update is no better then the Christmas update, maybe less buggy but that's it. In terms of usability, UI, simplessness, it's still horrible.

They have made it pretty damn clear that this is the new way forward and have no interest at listening to their users to bring back the old version.
They couldn't give a toss about their users.

So for that, I'll avoid this app.

I'm using the Mybb app and I'm happy with it. Does what it needs to.

You can download the old Tapatalk from the developer's website I believe.

Just to make sure we're on the same page… at the top of mine it says "iPhone and iPad"… ;)

I have Tapatalk on an iPad Air 2 and it's identical as far as I can tell?

Looney

Executive Member
You can download the old Tapatalk from the developer's website I believe.

I'm on an iPhone 6, I don't think I can download from the developer site. Only from the App Store as far as I know.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Just to make sure we're on the same page, this is what my forum view looks like

Swiping gives me the image below:

What's wrong with that? Pressing back takes me to my list of forums.

The iPad one and WP one looks different.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422687512623.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422687512623.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 139

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The iPad one and WP one looks different.

It doesn't have to look like that. I recall the retardation of that screen, but the interface I use on iPad is identical to the one I posted above on Android. Switching between forums is rather stupid, but at least the forum view can be the same.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
It doesn't have to look like that. I recall the retardation of that screen, but the interface I use on iPad is identical to the one I posted above on Android. Switching between forums is rather stupid, but at least the forum view can be the same.
The only thing that is consistent with Tapatalk is the functionality.

undesign

Executive Member
Little bit better, but still kark. Absolutely retarded waste of screen real estate. Idiots.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Yep

Sure it was a bit jarring at first but you get used to it

/shrug

Change, it happens

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
When you compare it with Tapatalk Pro - which I guess is a previous iteration you can see the difference the new design makes particularly when it comes to how threads are presented - the older version on the left.

TIMELINE.jpg