Tatjana Schoenmaker breaks world record to bag SA’s first Olympic gold medal

Speedster

Honorary Master
This is going to be one of the images of the Olympics I reckon. Not only her joy, but her peers celebrating her achievement as well. Credit to America's Lilly King, she swam under WR time as well, but just not fast enough.

E7gqNcEXoAURBiD
Not to take away from your point, but King swam a 2:19.92 with the previous record at 2.19.11

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Slightly off-topic, but I noticed this morning that the NZ media is hyping up Akani Simbine and Gift Leotlela as possible medal contenders in the men's 100 metres.

Simbine clocked clocked PB and new African record of 9.84s a month or 2 ago. He appears to be peaking at the right time. I'm looking at bronze for him. The team might even nick a podium finish in the 4 x 100m if they work on their changeovers and one of the powerhouses fluff theirs.

mjzar

This is the best moment of the Olympics so far. I've watched very little... but watched this not knowing the result
Its so great

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Slightly off-topic, but I noticed this morning that the NZ media is hyping up Akani Simbine and Gift Leotlela as possible medal contenders in the men's 100 metres.

Simbine is a definite medal candidate. He ran a 9.84 (African record) last month, the second fast 100m time of 2021. That time would've also been enough for silver in 2016, .03 off of Bolt's winning time.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Simbine is a definite medal candidate. He ran a 9.84 (African record) last month, the second fast 100m time of 2021. That time would've also been enough for silver in 2016, .03 off of Bolt's winning time.
Leotlela is also in good shape. It's going to be interesting semi-finals. Maswanganyo is suited to the 200m according to me.

The 200m is going to be interesting as well. I watched Fahnbulleh (runs for Liberia) win the NCAA Nationals and the lad is a beast. If he works on his starts, he's going to be unbeatable.

skimread

Honorary Master
Leotlela is also in good shape. It's going to be interesting semi-finals. Maswanganyo is suited to the 200m according to me.

The 200m is going to be interesting as well. I watched Fahnbulleh (runs for Liberia) win the NCAA Nationals and the lad is a beast. If he works on his starts, he's going to be unbeatable.
Are those 3 also in the 100m relay. Might get a silver there after the Yanks.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Are those 3 also in the 100m relay. Might get a silver there after the Yanks.
I think so. We have a chance of a silver or bronze if they execute flawless exchanges.

If it was up to me, they'd line up like this:

Maswanganyi - Leotlela - Jobodwana/Munyai - Simbine.

Last edited:

Speedster

Honorary Master
I think so. We have a chance of a silver or bronze if they execute flawless exchanges.

If it was up to me, they'd line up like this:

Maswanganyi - Leotlela - Jobodwana/Munyai - Simbine.
I think Dlodlo might be in the mix