Tattoos - do you tip?

Tman*

Expert Member
Apart from certain jobs such as barmen & waiters I dunno why we are moving into a society where everyone expects a tip or bonus? Is it in line with our growing trend of entitlement?

SmellyCelly

Haha wow, Thanks, guys. :laugh::laugh:
I was just wondering because it's mentioned in a ton of articles all over Google and I thought it was a ridiculous concept, but don't want to upset the artist if it's the norm.

PoppieChoffel

Executive Member
I never tip mine, because I'm not made of money and +- R7k a day is most definitely my limit. I have gifted him some things for his kids over time, but having spent over 45 hours under his needle(s) to date, chatting about our loved ones and life in general, that was bound to happen.

blowdart18

Going for my first tattoo soon. What's the etiquette with regards to tipping?
She's designing it for me and tattooing it, so I'm paying R900 per hour, estimated 3 hours.
Thanks!!
Depends how you feel really, if the guy is working out of a studio then the chance he will see the full R900 is min.
Most of that goes to the Studio any way as a form of commission for using the shops brand name and location.

On top of that the guy still needs to buy his own ink and needles to actually do the tattoo, together with the various machines he might use.

Typically you have a feel for how much you want to tip, here is a link of an example where they talk about it:
https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/the-tattoo-thread.628275/post-19910434