Tax makes up between 34% and 36% of the fuel price in South Africa

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
How much tax you pay when you fill your car with petrol

Many South African motorists pay between R282 and R501 in taxes when refuelling their petrol car’s tank from empty to full.

A substantial portion of the price of petrol and diesel in South Africa is made up of taxes which end up in the government's coffers.

eg2505

Honorary Master
At least Taxi drivers are paying some form of tax
sure, but then again taxis can stop by the illegal filling station and fill there.
from Petrol and Diesel they siphoned off.

this is after all Africa, where they make the rules, and then do whatever they like.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
sure, but then again taxis can stop by the illegal filling station and fill there.
from Petrol and Diesel they siphoned off.

this is after all Africa, where they make the rules, and then do whatever they like.
No illegal ones here in Somerset West that I have seen. I saw on Carte Blanche there are plenty illegal ones there in the Transvaal

eg2505

Honorary Master
So you haven't been part of a democratic process?
I have, and voted with my Head that wasn't boozed or drugged up, contrary to popular belief.
problem is people in SA are easily swayed and brought with some KFC and t shirts, and vote for the wasteful incompetence and stupidity that is the ANC.

so as @Herr der Verboten says, you get what you deserve! no sympathy from me, sadness maybe, but no sympathy anymore.

mypetcow

So let me get this straight:

SA: Petrol price: R18.34, fuel levy R6.11/litre (33%tax)

UK: Petrol price: £1.35 (R26.49), fuel levy 57.95p/litre (R11.40/litre) (43% tax)

Big yawn. SA once again charges less tax than the UK yet this is somehow a huge money grab in SA…remember to get your pitchforks :rolleyes:

Or does the UK somehow get more refined petrol to justify the higher tax? This finger pointing at political parties is ridiculous.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master

UK: Petrol price: £1.35, fuel levy 57.95p/litre (R11.40/litre) (43% tax)

Big yawn. SA once again charges less tax than the UK yet this is somehow a huge money grab in SA…remember to get your pitchforks :rolleyes:

Or does the UK somehow get more refined petrol to justify the higher tax? This finger pointing at political parties is ridiculous.

Now do USA?

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Big yawn. SA once again charges less tax than the UK yet this is somehow a huge money grab in SA…remember to get your pitchforks
Point noted. For me the most material reality of the tax taken is that we do not see a return on this tax spend. The taxes are not ring-fenced and paid through 100% to place where it should go, e.g. RAF. It goes into the ether and gets spent (or misappropriated) as the FM thinks necessary.

Mekon

Expert Member

UK: Petrol price: £1.35 (R26.49), fuel levy 57.95p/litre (R11.40/litre) (43% tax)

UK, World class public transport, a sh*tload of inner city people simply cycle to work because it isn't that far and there is an abundance of cycle lanes. Not everyone owns a car because it isn't necessary for them to own one.
South Africa is a polar opposite of the UK as far as this goes.
It is a 25km round trip to get my son to school We live and the school is in the same town. so 50km a day just to get him to school and back. In the UK that distance is considered crossing half the country.