Taxi industry turns to gas as high petrol prices bite

Pitbull

Verboten

A pilot study conducted by CNG Holdings has revealed that:

• A vehicle filled with 387.11 litres of petrol travelled 3,173km at a cost of R5,423.36, compared with a CNG gas-powered vehicle that travelled the same distance for R3,059.50.
  • The gas-filled vehicle made R2,363, which is 44% more than petrol.
  • Natural gas is one of the safest transport fuels available.
SA National Taxi Council Mpumalanga secretary Simphiwe Sibanyoni said the technology used to convert vehicles to run on gas was now within the reach of the taxi industry and operators were “looking forward to fully embrace the implementation of fuels, which are an alternative to petrol and diesel”.
Is this actually a thing?

R4ziel

Expert Member
"natural gas is one of the safest..."

Yeah ... until some backyard mechanic starts installing/fixing them.

Then as soon as a taxi bashes into anything ... BOOM!
Well if Taxi's blow up when they bump into anything, it will be a lot at first and quite dangerous, but once most of them blow up everything will be safer

MEIOT

Expert Member
This is a thing in China and South East Asia - was surprised to see cars filling up with natural gas - very strange concept to me at the time

gamer16

Honorary Master
We used to have forklifts that run on it, worked very very well, and yeah its cheaper than petrol/diesel.

Switched to electric now, which works even better.

eg2505

Honorary Master
so were going the route of SE asia and getting CNG taxis and tuk tuks?

Odracir

Expert Member
The article doesn't address the safety aspect of a gas filled taxi. The death toll will surely rise when a taxi filled with gas and people is in an accident.

isie

Honorary Master

Is this actually a thing?
There's 'Gas' ( I feel american saying that :) ) station on main reef road - seen plenty of Taxis filling up there for years.Haven't heard any issues in terms of safety compared to Petrol.

NGV

beans100

Honorary Master
Also, how does the "more reliable" part work? Thought it's like the same engine, just modified to take gas

Nithan15

Expert Member
"natural gas is one of the safest..."

Yeah ... until some backyard mechanic starts installing/fixing them.

Then as soon as a taxi bashes into anything ... BOOM!
cremation at the accident site :unsure: this will assist DBN municipality that's running out of burial sites.

Reactions: OCP

John Tempus

Expert Member
They ignored doing the math that if they start to buy up that much more gas it will eventually increase the price of the gas. The reason gas is cheaper in these calculations is a supply/demand issue, similar to diesel being so cheap in early days compared to now.

Last edited:

Pitbull

Verboten
This is really new to me. I would have to check if there is such a place close to me. I see one can do a conversion and then the vehicle can run on both, one or the other ... interresting

yebocan

Executive Member

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
During the 1970's oil crisis and the oil embargo on the Apartheid regime, gas cars were fairly common.

Baise

Those consumption figures are dubious and Gas is not that cheap anymore.
A diesel powered taxi would still be the cheapest to run.