Taxi industry turns to gas as high petrol prices bite

reactor_sa

Executive Member
I don't believe the consumption figures. In Australia you can still fill up with gas as fuel stations. While it was cheaper like 20 years ago due to the large reserves of gas in Australia but in the last 20 years gas has gotten more expensive and other fossil fuel vehicles have gotten more efficient making the up front gas conversion costs not worth it.

airborne

Executive Member
The article doesn't address the safety aspect of a gas filled taxi. The death toll will surely rise when a taxi filled with gas and people is in an accident.
Because petrol isn't particularly flammable and in terms of being highly volatile/combustible is a safe alternative to gas??

isie

Honorary Master
This is really new to me. I would have to check if there is such a place close to me. I see one can do a conversion and then the vehicle can run on both, one or the other ... interresting
Costs +/ R20K to convert, and the car supposedly can run on all 3 (CNC, LPG and normal Petrol.)
They gave the Taxi industry a nice conversion plan - basically conversion is free* for the owner and they recoup the cost from an extra charge per KG of gas filled.

Pitbull

Verboten
Costs +/ R20K to convert, and the car supposedly can run on all 3 (CNC, LPG and normal Petrol.)
They gave the Taxi industry a nice conversion plan - basically conversion is free* for the owner and they recoup the cost from an extra charge per KG of gas filled.
I read that it gives a pretty decent boost in KW and Torque too. I'm seriously going to look into this. No use if there is no such a filling station near me :D

namzsteve

Expert Member
I think this has been going on for a while now, 3 years if not longer.
There's this station in the Eastrand, remember seeing a number of taxi's driving into there when I still worked in that area. Always wondered what the cost of converting was.

thechamp

Honorary Master
I think this has been going on for a while now, 3 years if not longer.
There's this station in the Eastrand, remember seeing a number of taxi's driving into there when I still worked in that area. Always wondered what the cost of converting was.
Longer than 3 years, the were even taxis branded with the LPG sticker. i think there was evn a thread somewhere on this forum.

isie

Honorary Master
I read that it gives a pretty decent boost in KW and Torque too. I'm seriously going to look into this. No use if there is no such a filling station near me :D
Ya i guess until it becomes more common no use - but seriously if they offer regular plebs that same deal we would all go for it.

They've got money to do lpg conversions but not to replace brake pads?
Its *free baba ;)

konfab

Honorary Master
Because petrol isn't particularly flammable and in terms of being highly volatile/combustible is a safe alternative to gas??

The major difference is that you do not need to store petrol under pressure, whereas you have to do so with CNG

airborne

Executive Member
The major difference is that you do not need to store petrol under pressure, whereas you have to do so with CNG
I don't recall petrol being less flammable/explosive just because its not pressurised.

If you lit an unpressurisrd tank of petrol vs the same quantity of CNG in a pressurised tank you are going to get an enormous fireball either way.

Last edited:

konfab

Honorary Master
I don't recall petrol being less flammable/explosive just because its not pressurised.

If you lit an unpressurisrd tank of petrol vs the same quantity of CNG in a pressurised tank you are going to get an enormous fireball either way.
If you get a leak in a petrol tank the following will happen:
If the leak is above the fluid line: nothing.
If the leak is below the fluid line, it will slowly leak out.

If you get a leak in a pressurised tank:
If it is small, the gas simply leaks out.
If it is large, the tank ruptures and releases all the gas at once.

Liquids are simply much easier to handle than pressurised tanks.

asshat99

CNG has been retrofitted to cars for years. Petrol is also flammable. You guys act like this is a totally new thing.

isie

Honorary Master
If you get a leak in a petrol tank the following will happen:
If the leak is above the fluid line: nothing.
If the leak is below the fluid line, it will slowly leak out.

If you get a leak in a pressurised tank:
If it is small, the gas simply leaks out.
If it is large, the tank ruptures and releases all the gas at once.

Liquids are simply much easier to handle than pressurised tanks.
Plus CNG is less dense then Air so in case of a leak it will float away so actually safer since less chance of it catching fire, Petrol and LPG on the other hand is heavier so incase of a leak will from a puddle and that can catch fire
CNG has been retrofitted to cars for years. Petrol is also flammable. You guys act like this is a totally new thing.
My only concern will your exhaust smell like rotten eggs :ROFL:
- not sure if they add that compound to CNG though.

konfab

Honorary Master
Plus CNG is less dense then Air so in case of a leak it will float away so actually safer since less chance of it catching fire, Petrol and LPG on the other hand is heavier so incase of a leak will from a puddle and that can catch fire