Teacher at elite Cape Town girls' school faces disciplinary action for slapping girl

ambroseg1

Executive Member
It's not. She's an ignorant thug.
I wouldn't go that far. But then again, I come from a time when children were taught manners at home and actually had some respect for teachers. If this had happened 30 years or so ago, that kid would have gotten another hiding at home from her parents when they found out what she did at school and that child would be better for it.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I wouldn't go that far. But then again, I come from a time when children were taught manners at home and actually had some respect for teachers. If this had happened 30 years or so ago, that kid would have gotten another hiding at home from her parents when they found out what she did at school and that child would be better for it.
Fair enough. Also then a teacher in the same position wouldn't have lashed out but followed the appropriate actions and punishment would have been handed out in a structured way. Not fistycuffs in the middle of the classroom.

BrendanMc

Expert Member
Kids today are entitled and have no manners or respect. If my kid spoke to a teacher or anyone like that, they would get a damn good hiding. But no, lets nurture the poor little babies, and be careful not to offend their feelings.
It's an absolute joke.

Jola

Honorary Master
Kids today are entitled and have no manners or respect. If my kid spoke to a teacher or anyone like that, they would get a damn good hiding. But no, lets nurture the poor little babies, and be careful not to offend their feelings.
It's an absolute joke.
Yeah, for the mother to now lay assault charges against the teacher tells you a lot more about where the fault really lies.

jack_spratt

Expert Member
The thing is, that teacher slapped that girl a hundred times every day and night in her thought life.

So when the opportunity arose, she just acted instinctively. Her brain had been programmed/rewired.

A lesson to learn here.

noxibox

Honorary Master
If this had happened 30 years or so ago, that kid would have gotten another hiding at home from her parents when they found out what she did at school and that child would be better for it.
No she'd be worse for it. That's not an actual solution and doesn't teach respect. The above would be a lazy adult looking for a quick fix. They certainly wouldn't deserve any kind of respect. I understand that parents back then were pretty ignorant about this sort of thing, but we've moved on.

It's an absolute joke.
Almost as much of a joke as thinking hitting them is some sort of solution.

BrendanMc

Expert Member
No she'd be worse for it. That's not an actual solution and doesn't teach respect. The above would be a lazy adult looking for a quick fix. They certainly wouldn't deserve any kind of respect. I understand that parents back then were pretty ignorant about this sort of thing, but we've moved on.

Have to disagree in part, but we all have our own opinions.
I agree that a hiding isn't a solution to every problem. But I grew up where i was warned 3 times about something and then got a hiding depending on what it was that I was guilty of at the time.

My own kids know to respect adults and teachers. They also know exactly how far they can push us. There is a line they know they cannot cross.

surface

Expert Member
Have to disagree in part, but we all have our own opinions.
I agree that a hiding isn't a solution to every problem. But I grew up where i was warned 3 times about something and then got a hiding depending on what it was that I was guilty of at the time.

My own kids know to respect adults and teachers. They also know exactly how far they can push us. There is a line they know they cannot cross.
Did you ever give hiding to your kids?

krycor

Honorary Master
It's an absolute joke.
My opinion is it all starts at home.. SA like most places is going to **** fast because things that should be taught at home are not. While I don’t agree with slapping/hiding as I see it as lazy, discipline needs to be sorted at home.

You don’t need to look at schools though, how many young adults disobey the traffic laws(I know, I know but it’s all related) and think they allowed to! Then look at how many old adults doing the same? That’s the other issue.. don’t expect your offspring to be obedient if you are not vs laws you suppose to be obeying..

BrendanMc

Expert Member
My opinion is it all starts at home.. SA like most places is going to **** fast because things that should be taught at home are not. While I don’t agree with slapping/hiding as I see it as lazy, discipline needs to be sorted at home.

You don’t need to look at schools though, how many young adults disobey the traffic laws(I know, I know but it’s all related) and think they allowed to! Then look at how many old adults doing the same? That’s the other issue.. don’t expect your offspring to be obedient if you are not vs laws you suppose to be obeying..
I agree 100%.
I haven't given a lot of hidings, and it was only in exceptional circumstances.
As an example, my eldest son was cheeky to one of the teachers in the aftercare. He had been warned about it previously. He was rude to the lady again, and on the way home I told him i was disappointed and that he had been warned about being rude. So i gave him a choice, he could either get a hiding when we got home, or I would take away his X-Box and PC privileges for a month.
So, he opted for the hiding instead.
When we got home I took away his X-box and PC for a month.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
I dont think im in the wrong here.
So assault in your books is not a criminal offence? Ok got it teacher.
Your comment reminds me of Bill Burr, something he said.

You just look at the action, not what happened. Not the cause leading up to the action. Assault is assault and thats it. Teacher was wrong and no questions asked.

A useless undisciplined f@ckup went to school that didn`t want to be there. So instead of walking out of school, she decided to stay and be disrespectful to the teacher.

So in this case yes assault was not criminal and is deemed worthy.

But hey you want to attack the teacher, go for it. Even the students are in support of her.

ambroseg1

Executive Member

:laugh: and this ^ ladies and gentlemen is the problem.

namzsteve

Expert Member
I saw the video yesterday, it was a pretty heated argument.

The teacher should've gone to the principal and avoid this mess, all this "rights" nonsense is not working out for our country.

Jola

Honorary Master
I saw the video yesterday, it was a pretty heated argument.

The teacher should've gone to the principal and avoid this mess, all this "rights" nonsense is not working out for our country.
Yes, but she lost her temper, and she will pay for that.

But losing your temper and causing shyte is common in SA, no ?

dj2381

Expert Member

This video gets me every time and this is the problem with most parents these days, they aren't there to give their kids the attention and guidance or to teach them respect or even spend some quality time with them, unfortunately some parents have to work their @sses off to give their kids a decent education and it's kind of a catch 22 for them, then you have your lazy parents who just don't give a toss, or parents who spoil their kids completely, parents need to take responsibility for raising their kids not the teachers, raising kids is hard work but it's not someone else's job.

The teacher is still an idiot for hitting the kid though, the parents should be held partially responsible in my opinion.