Teacher at elite Cape Town girls' school faces disciplinary action for slapping girl

chefdude98

Imagine if we had the SA version of Dr Phil.

The bratty girl can be the SA Catch me outside girl.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sollie

Expert Member
Been following the developments here, looking at HOW this is being reported in the news media.

There are two versions of the video. The one certain media groups love is the shortened one not showing how the situation starts, how the learner accuses the teacher of swearing at her despite it clearly not being the case and we have the record in the long version of the vid. At this point the stage is set. The short version takes over from here.

Those that try and frame the teacher in a certain negative way use the short version to create bias. Wth happened to unbiased reporting? Lying by omission?

The long version is not that much longer, as such I question the motives of those using the short version.

TysonRoux

Expert Member
Been following the developments here, looking at HOW this is being reported in the news media.

There are two versions of the video. The one certain media groups love is the shortened one not showing how the situation starts, how the learner accuses the teacher of swearing at her despite it clearly not being the case and we have the record in the long version of the vid. At this point the stage is set. The short version takes over from here.

Those that try and frame the teacher in a certain negative way use the short version to create bias. Wth happened to unbiased reporting? Lying by omission?

The long version is not that much longer, as such I question the motives of those using the short version.
I haven't seen the long version, but the one I've seen shows the "student" being confrontational and provocative, but the teacher should be trained and briefed on how to manage such a situation, so unfortunately she's going to be in deep water.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
I haven't seen the long version, but the one I've seen shows the "student" being confrontational and provocative, but the teacher should be trained and briefed on how to manage such a situation, so unfortunately she's going to be in deep water.
I honestly dont think many teachers are prepared for the level of arrogance and rudeness of today's youth. Many of the older generation of teachers left the profession precisely because of that.

schumi

Honorary Master
Sans Souci: slapped scholar's mother says teacher's body language 'told a story'

The pupil involved in a physical altercation with a teacher at Sans Souci Girls High School in Cape Town is facing five charges in her disciplinary hearing.

Yolisa Nocanda from the Chamber of Legal Students, which is representing the teenager, told News24 said that the disciplinary hearing has been set down for February 14.

The child faces numerous charges following the physical altercation in the classroom captured on video which has since gone viral.

Both the learner and the teacher have been suspended.

According to Nocanda, the charges are intimidation by verbal and psychical threat intended to harm a person; ignoring or failing to carry out specific instructions; actions which bring the school’s name into disrepute; violating the rights of other learners to receive education by disrupting classes, preventing teachers from teaching; and violating the rights of the teacher to carry out their task to the detriment of the school, staff, teacher and fellow learners.

Mother reacts

Reacting to the pending charges, the mother of the learner, whose name is known to News24, said she is currently "at peace" and knows her child will get through this ordeal.

"I don’t know what the outcomes will be but I trust God in everything," she told News24.

She added that when she first watched the video, she paid special attention to understand where the argument started and how it escalated.

"The body language from the teacher told me a story. I saw the body language of the teacher. I didn’t see my daughter get up, I didn’t see her raise her voice."

The mother conceded that the right thing to do would have been to leave the classroom when the teacher told the learner to get out.

"But how do you leave your property [the cellphone] behind," she asked.

"My child then pushed past the teacher and reached out to grab her phone."

She added that she was highly upset when she saw the teacher smack her child through the face and grab her by her shirt.

On whether the pupil assaulted the teacher when she pushed the desk into the teacher's legs, the mother said that her child may have pushed the desk too hard, but asked where else was she supposed to have moved it.

More at:
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/sans-souci-slapped-scholars-mother-says-teachers-body-language-told-a-story-20190209

ponder

Honorary Master
So the kid has a history, meh fsckit let's go with the race angle rather for maximum effect.

Sollie

Expert Member
There is a video somewhere of the mother and the EFF also mentioning previous problems. The gist of one of the issues was that here daughter was not adhering to the dress code or something like that.

In a recent video with the press, her daughter's faced is blurred, but she's on her "life preserve", tapping away on that damn cell phone while the media frenzy happens.

Sigh!

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
I didn’t see my daughter get up, I didn’t see her raise her voice
bitch you need some eyeglasses and a hearing aid, the whole world could see and hear that on the video

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Giving this further thought the only real outcome to this is that the teacher needs to be disciplined and if that results in her being dismissed then so be it, since a teacher should never strike a pupil.. But the student needs to be expelled and the message needs to be sent to the student body that behavior like hers will not be tolerated in the school...

Also I think the school possibly needs to implement a system where pupils cellphones are locked away during the school day.. Should actually be standard at all schools.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
At what stage does it become physical assault in your eyes, when the teacher is moered with a cricket bat, stabbed with a knife or shot with a gun?
I would say the second the kid "has at it", so to speak. It can be simply attacked with bare hands as well. Knife attacks are not that uncommon, unfortunately.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Sans Souci: slapped scholar's mother says teacher's body language 'told a story'

"The body language from the teacher told me a story. I saw the body language of the teacher. I didn’t see my daughter get up, I didn’t see her raise her voice."

The mother conceded that the right thing to do would have been to leave the classroom when the teacher told the learner to get out.

"But how do you leave your property [the cellphone] behind," she asked.

"My child then pushed past the teacher and reached out to grab her phone."

More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/sans-souci-slapped-scholars-mother-says-teachers-body-language-told-a-story-20190209
Someone needs to show the mother the video over and over, till she gets it...