Teacher at elite Cape Town girls' school faces disciplinary action for slapping girl

Executive Member
The problem here is that he teacher actually cared for some reason. I once had a teacher who was really like "**** it" and just and actually made space at the back for the people to do what ever they wanted.

Basically - front of the class if you want to be taught and back of the class if you didn't get 2 shits.

Funny enough, this would actually make the class "smaller" so he could focus on the diligent students in the front.

He'd also usually give extra lessons after class or lunch time to those who actually were struggling.

HennieWelkom

The problem here is that he teacher actually cared for some reason. I once had a teacher who was really like "**** it" and just and actually made space at the back for the people to do what ever they wanted.

Basically - front of the class if you want to be taught and back of the class if you didn't get 2 shits.

Funny enough, this would actually make the class "smaller" so he could focus on the diligent students in the front.

He'd also usually give extra lessons after class or lunch time to those who actually were struggling.
This is going to increasingly be the approach if the government wants us to treat them as adults, they are expected to behave like an adult. If you are in any work situation in your adult live no one is going to beg you to do anything, you do your work as your boss requires or you get a warning, simple as that.

noxibox

Honorary Master
I'm surprised the school does not have a no mobile phones rule. I can't find one in their code of conduct. Many schools do these days, because there is no reason a child would need to be carrying a phone around while in school. The typical rule is that it can be brought to school, but goes into your locker at the beginning of the day and may not be used at any time while on school grounds.

the problem is it is utterly futile to want to teach a child that does not want to learn. The sad reality is no teacher, no matter the quality can do much for these children. You do the best you can for the children under your care, but unfortunately, you can bring a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink.
That would apply when it has been established the child genuinely does not want to learn. The situation is not always that simple, as much as people would like it to be.

Maybe some idiot has beaten the horse trying to make it drink and now it associates water with pain.

In the old days you got a moer if you did not do your work
It is well established that that not only doesn't work, but makes learning even less likely.

I agree with that, it is a problem one faces in all spheres of life. In my job I get penalised as manager when my reportees don't deliver. Are teachers subject to the same criteria when it comes to learner performance.
In many companies the manager passes the buck on to the employees even though most of the time the real problem is the manager.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
I remember school a bit differently. You didn't listen, you get moered, then suddenly you listen. Worked a treat.
yeah I call BS on the "doesn't work, makes learning less likely" claim, some soyboy snowflake must've dreamt that up

funny how our big education crises with low standards, violent protests, burning down buildings and all the other crap only happened in a time when corporal punishment has been abolished ...

HennieWelkom

yeah I call BS on the "doesn't work, makes learning less likely" claim, some soyboy snowflake must've dreamt that up

funny how our big education crises with low standards, violent protests, burning down buildings and all the other crap only happened in a time when corporal punishment has been abolished ...
A fair few of my school friends just ended up doing less homework after a beating, don't underestimate the petulance of some children, they may surprise you.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
They were beaten until the teacher's hands were raw, they had a defiant air about them that would have made Ghandi proud.
Right, so the teacher didn't have a strong enough grip and swing then ;)

In all fairness though, a student THAT defiant is not going to respond to any kind of discipline.

HennieWelkom

Right, so the teacher didn't have a strong enough grip and swing then ;)

In all fairness though, a student THAT defiant is not going to respond to any kind of discipline.
They responded well enough to the kind female teachers who did not beat them.

Really, I don't know how much of these last posts of yours were hyperbole, but I can assure you if you beat a child he/she is not going to respect you. People tend not to 'respect' their abusers. The abuser may function in a system that allows his abuse but I can assure you respect is something he never gets.

I have zero respect for the people who beat boys at my old high school, granted they are all unemployed or dead, but I have ZERO respect for any institution that allows for the abuse of children. I'm really sorry that your abuser indoctrinated you with the idea that you beatings were good for you, but they simply were not. You can absolutely teach a child very successfully without ever needing to lay a hand on him/her.

Baise

They responded well enough to the kind female teachers who did not beat them.

Really, I don't know how much of these last posts of yours were hyperbole, but I can assure you if you beat a child he/she is not going to respect you. People tend not to 'respect' their abusers. The abuser may function in a system that allows his abuse but I can assure you respect is something he never gets.

I have zero respect for the people who beat boys at my old high school, granted they are all unemployed or dead, but I have ZERO respect for any institution that allows for the abuse of children. I'm really sorry that your abuser indoctrinated you with the idea that you beatings were good for you, but they simply were not. You can absolutely teach a child very successfully without ever needing to lay a hand on him/her.
Beating a child is not a way to teach them respect, it's about teaching them consequences and accountability.

A child shouldn't fear the person, but be fearful of the consequence, whether it be a beating, or expulsion or punishment that is going to have consequences. They need to learn this early on, and respect the institution that administers it.

schumi

Honorary Master
SA Teacher’s Union supports teacher in #SansSouci slap video

Cape Town - The South African Teacher’s Union (SAOU) on Monday threw its weight behind a San Souci High School teacher caught slapping a pupil in a video that has gone viral.

The union in a statement said it is aware of the current debate and concomitant legal issues surrounding the incident that took place between the pupil and a teacher at the Cape Town high school.

While the teacher concerned is a member of the SAOU, the union said, she is employed by the school’s Governing Body (GB) and as such, the immediate processes of enquiry into the case and its resolution, fall within the auspices of the governing body.

In a video doing the rounds on social media, it shows the teacher engaged in an argument with the pupil. The teacher can be heard admonishing the girl for having her cellphone at school in contravention of the school's code of conduct.
More at : https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/news/sa-teachers-union-supports-teacher-in-sanssouci-slap-video-19239893

noxibox

Honorary Master
Many people seem to be under the misapprehension that before corporal punishment was banned from South African schools teachers had free reign. The law actually specified who was allowed to carry out corporal punishment, the manner and conditions under which it had to be carried out and the instruments that could be used. I know many teachers broke those laws, but the laws were there and were intended to prevent the abuses that used to go on.

Beating a child is not a way to teach them respect, it's about teaching them consequences and accountability.

A child shouldn't fear the person, but be fearful of the consequence, whether it be a beating, or expulsion or punishment that is going to have consequences. They need to learn this early on, and respect the institution that administers it.
It's completely unnecessary as a means to teach consequences. Neither should they be fearful of consequences. Fear need never come into it.

However you'll see many people here talking about how corporal punishment teaches a child to respect authority and can assure you that when I was at school there were teachers who thought somehow what they were doing resulted in respect. Of course some people do have a warped sense of respect and may actually have respected them. Me I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire (maybe roast some marshmallows though).

noxibox

Honorary Master
I remember school a bit differently. You didn't listen, you get moered, then suddenly you listen. Worked a treat.
Research shows it doesn't work. I'll trust the science over your anecdote that only proves some people appeared to be listening and does not demonstrate improved learning or memory.