Teacher at elite Cape Town girls' school faces disciplinary action for slapping girl

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Neither should they be fearful of consequences. Fear need never come into it
Eh?!? Fear is our natural internal warning against life threatening actions. Fear is an OUTSTANDING lesson to learn.

What do you say to the bratty kid who doesn't fear climbing onto the school roof and falls to his death? Nothing, he's dead. Bet you any amount of money his hypothetical parents would prefer a good beating and a living child instead.

ponder

Honorary Master
Research shows it doesn't work. I'll trust the science over your anecdote that only proves some people appeared to be listening and does not demonstrate improved learning or memory.
Well we sure as hell did not have all this crap in school back in the day.

John Tempus

Expert Member
This might have been the first time any adult stood up to this brat or I should say offline THOT.

That one slap might have done her more good than the rest of her short life so far assuming she will ever reflect on this situation.

Disciplining kids is important. I am not talking about abuse on the other side of the spectrum but healthy disciplining when a kid gets out of order potentially with a track record of just being a complete tool is definitely the only solution to this failure.

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
Research shows it doesn't work. I'll trust the science over your anecdote that only proves some people appeared to be listening and does not demonstrate improved learning or memory.
I also remember taking changes with teachers and getting them to snap. Once you got used to getting a beating then the pain didn't do anything anymore. It was a sport of sort to see which onnie could get demoer in.

Daruk

Honorary Master
My research shows it absolutely works. I used to be very disruptive in assembly till I got a good hiding from the deputy head. It stopped there. I was pretty good at sticking with it after that. I knew he meant business and he never got hot under the collar with us for no reason. He also didn't hold grudges, so the reality was that I felt I'd let someone I respected down.

John Tempus

Expert Member
I also remember taking changes with teachers and getting them to snap. Once you got used to getting a beating then the pain didn't do anything anymore. It was a sport of sort to see which onnie could get demoer in.
You had a weak minded teacher. The teachers in my early days (rebellion days) sure as sht helped me stay on the right path by being creative in when they would snap because of my bullsht.

Some kids can go through life without ever causing grief for teachers whereas there is other kids(myself included) who really need the right teacher to react and put them(me) in my place. I can with some certainty say that if I had teachers of today who just let kids do whatever they want I would have turned out way different.

Say what you want but every single kid end up seeing their teachers probably more often than their actual parents when you consider the hours in school vs hours at home where a kid sit in front of pc, parents might come home really late etc. so teachers do play a huge role inadvertently in helping with the upbringing of the kid whether they like it or not.

A predictable teacher is a bad teacher. Unpredicable outcomes where the teacher don't simply snap at predictable periods is the best kind of disciplinary action. Nothing is scarier for a kid who is full of sht when they dont know when the teacher will react or not.

TysonRoux

Expert Member
What does work for undisciplined uncouth behavior exhibited by this "student"?

No, I don't agree with the teacher slapping the "student", although I have an appreciation for the frustration when faced with this type of uncouth behavior.

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
You had a weak minded teacher. The teachers in my early days (rebellion days) sure as sht helped me stay on the right path by being creative in when they would snap because of my bullsht.

Some kids can go through life without ever causing grief for teachers whereas there is other kids(myself included) who really need the right teacher to react and put them(me) in my place. I can with some certainty say that if I had teachers of today who just let kids do whatever they want I would have turned out way different.

A predictable teacher is a bad teacher. Unpredicable outcomes where the teacher don't simply snap at predictable periods is the best kind of disciplinary action. Nothing is scarier for a kid who is full of sht when they dont know when the teacher will react or not.
Complete Rubbish, all that an 'unpredictable' teacher taught kids was to be scared of them. They tried to beat the work into you. We had more respect for the kind and gentler teachers that knew how to stood their ground. Some teachers back then were just pure sadists and those were the ones that kids constantly trying to traitor.

All that beating a child achieves is telling them that discussion is not a way to resolve your problems. It left me with quite a short temper and a very aggressive late teen years where I was prepared to pick up my fists for every 2nd thing.

Say what you want but every single kid end up seeing their teachers probably more often than their actual parents when you consider the hours in school vs hours at home where a kid sit in front of pc, parents might come home really late etc. so teachers do play a huge role inadvertently in helping with the upbringing of the kid whether they like it or not.
. No, I saw most teachers for 1 hour per day during their class periods. I saw my parents for way more than that.

The fact is that there is simply no evidence that corporal punishment achieves anything. Now I agree in this video I probably wouldn't have held my composure either, which is why I didn't go into teaching.

Last edited:

access

Executive Member
How often are you beaten at work/university? :)
never, i always win. :D

one would expect at those ages people would know what it means to pick up the red glowing rock that fell out the fireplace.. or sneak up on a sleeping dog, or taunt someone to get a reaction. you might get hurt..

noxibox

Honorary Master
My research shows it absolutely works.
Please post a link to your study showing that hitting children and fear of teachers improves learning and memory.

Complete Rubbish, all that an 'unpredictable' teacher taught kids was to be scared of them.
Something that is particularly dangerous and harmful for sensitive children (as is hitting them). However all children need consistency and predictability for best results.

We had more respect for the kind and gentler teachers that knew how to stood their ground.
In my experience those teachers had no problem keeping order in their classrooms. Which means those teachers who resorted to striking children, usually illegally, or having the legally designated individual do the striking on their behalf were really only compensating for their own inability to command respect and exercise authority without violence.

access

Executive Member
Please post a link to your study showing that hitting children and fear of teachers improves learning and memory.

Something that is particularly dangerous and harmful for sensitive children (as is hitting them). However all children need consistency and predictability for best results.

In my experience those teachers had no problem keeping order in their classrooms. Which means those teachers who resorted to striking children, usually illegally, or having the legally designated individual do the striking on their behalf were really only compensating for their own inability to command respect and exercise authority without violence.
because those other children are all little angels that respond to the naughty corner/step or someone moaning at them...

you say that not all children respond to hidings, but then try and apply your method to all children. see the problem there?

some people are against a hiding with all their being and think its okay to publicly humiliate/shame a child for their wrong doing.

then shrinks are trying to tell everyone psychological harm is just as bad as physical harm, some times worse. but advocate psychological reprimanding... like do you even..

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
because those other children are all little angels that respond to the naughty corner/step or someone moaning at them...

you say that not all children respond to hidings, but then try and apply your method to all children. see the problem there?

some people are against a hiding with all their being and think its okay to publicly humiliate/shame a child for their wrong doing.

then shrinks are trying to tell everyone psychological harm is just as bad as physical harm, some times worse. but advocate psychological reprimanding... like do you even..
Publicly humiliating a child is not much better. My experience was that the teachers tried to beat you and humiliate you. A good sadist is also a good physiological bully. Very often the nature of the beatings was totally random, the children had little no change to understand what they did wrong.

I remember getting a hiding for having a bad hand writing, only later to discuss that I had a slight dyslexia and that the teacher's weren't interested in teaching techniques for kids who were left handed. I remember stories of teachers who beat a child to the point that they couldn't sit properly and then threatened to phone their parents (who would continue to give him a hiding). I never had any respect for any of these teachers.

My brother and sister are both teachers and one of them works in a poor coloured school where the kids are a bit aggressive to other teachers. They have never had to resort to beating a child, because they know how to act in a way that gets them respect.

My view is that if you can't speak to a child then beating won't help either. An adult that lift his hands is nothing but a coward.