Teacher at elite Cape Town girls' school faces disciplinary action for slapping girl

Mila

Honorary Master
I fully agree - what works for my spawn does not necessarily works for others.
Close fiends of mine have 2 boys and while I think their parenting style has room for improvement (spend more time with kids / more structure and consistency / less leniency), those 2 are in a word hectic.
They are so naughty and disobedient there is no talking or reasoning with them so a few smacks on the bum at-least makes them stop and listen :)
I see this with my friends as well. You are a parent not their buddy.
But everybody wants to be the cool parent

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Identify diffrent types of kids earlier ( not intelligence, types) and build schools for these types of teaching methods and train more teachers. Identify which teachers will work better at diffrent schools?
For me this is the biggest problem with the education system, and it probably applies globally.

Those kids being jacked up on medication because of ADHD, they don't belong in a classroom. They belong in a workshop where they will be stimulated and engaged.

My best friend barely scrapped through high school with 40s and 50s, often failing. The thing is he wasn't stupid, he just didn't care for it. Put him in the woodwork class or technical drawing room and he was delivering 80s and 90s. He couldn't do maths but he could draw a floor plan to scale for you. The education system didn't identify his ability nor could it actually really cater for him, so he struggled through academic subjects, had teachers on his back and his parents were frequently called in because he wasn't focusing or paying attention in class.

I think primary school should give you grounding in a language of instruction and basic maths, then by the time you reach high school you should then be identified as technically or academically minded and then diverted to an appropriate school.

Mila

Honorary Master
For me this is the biggest problem with the education system, and it probably applies globally.

Those kids being jacked up on medication because of ADHD, they don't belong in a classroom. They belong in a workshop where they will be stimulated and engaged.

My best friend barely scrapped through high school with 40s and 50s, often failing. The thing is he wasn't stupid, he just didn't care for it. Put him in the woodwork class or technical drawing room and he was delivering 80s and 90s. He couldn't do maths but he could draw a floor plan to scale for you. The education system didn't identify his ability nor could it actually really cater for him, so he struggled through academic subjects, had teachers on his back and his parents were frequently called in because he wasn't focusing or paying attention in class.

I think primary school should give you grounding in a language of instruction and basic maths, then by the time you reach high school you should then be identified as technically or academically minded and then diverted to an appropriate school.
or even just someone that needs to keep their hands busy to concentrate.

In my 8 schools I had one teacher realize that I need to keep my hands busy for my ears to listen. Grade 11 Biology. I was failing miserably. I hated Biology it was not the subject I thought I was picking in Grade 9 and I couldn't spell ( Like you all can see i still can't , I refuse to see it as a disability. My brain is so advanced it auto corrects. :D:D) Mr Bosch one day confiscated a book I was doodling in, and about 6 months later he came to me and gave me the book and said Draw while I teach. I ended up having a distinction in biology. I still hated it but as soon as you give my hands something to do my brain quiets and my ears open.

As an adult I have been accused of having a photographic memory ( Yes like its a bad thing) I don't I just do not forget anything I heard, the emphasis on heard. I Can look you dead in the face and not hear a word as well.

One teacher, 8 schools, 12 years.
And those where the "good old days" when we got bliksemed if we failed. Discipline might have been better but teaching not so much.

Oh I went on to study in an "art' direction and had 80% for technical drawing which I was not allowed to take at school because I was so bad at math and science. So I had a hellish year and a half of accounting because that is the subject the person with number disabilities are going to excel at.

I think you all can hear I do nor think much of school or teachers. Sorry if I offend anybody.

I fully agree - what works for my spawn does not necessarily works for others.
Close fiends of mine have 2 boys and while I think their parenting style has room for improvement (spend more time with kids / more structure and consistency / less leniency), those 2 are in a word hectic.
They are so naughty and disobedient there is no talking or reasoning with them so a few smacks on the bum at-least makes them stop and listen :)
I always get compliments of how well behaved and mannered my kids are. They got there because I moered them there. I'm proud to say I'm their father, they are now aged 14, 13, 10. And they haven't had a spanking in many a years. There is no need anymore, they do nothing but make me proud.

Last edited:

OCP

Expert Member
I always get compliments of how well behaved and mannered my kids are. They got there because I moered them there. I'm proud to say I'm their father, they are nog aged 14, 13, 10. And they haven't had a spanking in many a years. There is no need anymore, they do nothing but make me proud.
I get the same - when I fetch them from a party of sleepover the feedback is always good; well behaved, good manners, etc.

I always ask if they can please point out the children in question as they sure as hell misbehave and forget their manners at home!

Eniigma

Expert Member
I always get compliments of how well behaved and mannered my kids are. They got there because I moered them there. I'm proud to say I'm their father, they are nog aged 14, 13, 10. And they haven't had a spanking in many a years. There is no need anymore, they do nothing but make me proud.
Moered them there, lol.

I know my dad used to give me hidings. I don't actually recall ever getting any but I know he did, but the age of 5 or 6 I'd learnt that when he spoke I listened and did what was told. None of this being told to go to bed 5 times before I got of the couch... once was enough. I knew if he had to repeat himself I'd be in kak.

A lot more kids need to be taught that these days.

Cr419

Executive Member
I get the same - when I fetch them from a party of sleepover the feedback is always good; well behaved, good manners, etc.

I always ask if they can please point out the children in question as they sure as hell misbehave and forget their manners at home!
LOL, my reaction constantly. They are always better behaved by other people's houses than at home, except at the MIL's house, there they are terrorists.

Strange how they are angels when at other people, but different when at home. But I can manage them at home, I'm just glad they don't misbehave at others and are exemplary kids :)

Sensorei

Expert Member
A good old spanking on the butt is legally classified as child abuse in this gloriously country, so my 6 and 3 year old terrors have to make do with taking away privileges and timeouts. Does NOT work. Nothing like a good hiding to teach respect, consequences ,and discipline very quickly. I will risk my freedom not to have disrespectful brats.

Mila

Honorary Master
I always get compliments of how well behaved and mannered my kids are. They got there because I moered them there. I'm proud to say I'm their father, they are now aged 14, 13, 10. And they haven't had a spanking in many a years. There is no need anymore, they do nothing but make me proud.
I had a friend , who decided to try and teach children respect in their teens, tried to dish out hiddings.
They said that they will call the police and make a case of child abuse.

HE gave them the phone.
Do it.
If I go to jail and loose my business you will suffer.
Also Welcome to south African child services you will end up in a home unwanted kids.
See how you enjoy your "rights" then.

I had to chuckle.
It worked for a day and they were up to their crap again.
But I had a good chuckle.

Die weeshuis is nie vir pissies nie.
An orphanage is not a place for sissies that are used to their "rights"

Moered them there, lol.

I know my dad used to give me hidings. I don't actually recall ever getting any but I know he did, but the age of 5 or 6 I'd learnt that when he spoke I listened and did what was told. None of this being told to go to bed 5 times before I got of the couch... once was enough. I knew if he had to repeat himself I'd be in kak.

A lot more kids need to be taught that these days.
And that's exactly the point. It reaches a point where they don't try any funny stuff, there is no need to spank them no more. In Afrikaans there is a saying: "Buig die boompie terwyl hy nog jonk is"

A good old spanking on the butt is legally classified as child abuse in this gloriously country, so my 6 and 3 year old terrors have to make do with taking away privileges and timeouts. Does NOT work. Nothing like a good hiding to teach respect, consequences ,and discipline very quickly. I will risk my freedom not to have disrespectful brats.
"Tell the cops you got a hiding, see who's going to feed you cloth you and buy you all the nice things you want when I'm in jail"

That normally works :D
I had a friend , who decided to try and teach children respect in their teens, tried to dish out hiddings.

HE gave them the phone.
Do it.
Also Welcome to south African child services you will end up in a home unwanted kids.

I had to chuckle.
It worked for a day and they were up to their crap again.
But I had a good chuckle.

Die weeshuis is nie vir pissies nie.
An orphanage is not a place for sissies that are used to their "rights"
Laaitie tried the same thing with me at one stage as at school they had some person telling them that hidings is abuse or what not. Said he'll phone the police. I said: That's fine, I'll call them, we'll see who is going to feed you, cloth you and buy you all these nice things you want when I'm in jail and you're living in a stranger's house with probably 5 other kids.

I took the phone and started dialing, he asked me to please not phone them, he'll go wait in the bathroom :D

eXisor

Expert Member
or even just someone that needs to keep their hands busy to concentrate.

In my 8 schools I had one teacher realize that I need to keep my hands busy for my ears to listen. Grade 11 Biology. I was failing miserably. I hated Biology it was not the subject I thought I was picking in Grade 9 and I couldn't spell ( Like you all can see i still can't , I refuse to see it as a disability. My brain is so advanced it auto corrects. :D:D) Mr Bosch one day confiscated a book I was doodling in, and about 6 months later he came to me and gave me the book and said Draw while I teach. I ended up having a distinction in biology. I still hated it but as soon as you give my hands something to do my brain quiets and my ears open.

As an adult I have been accused of having a photographic memory ( Yes like its a bad thing) I don't I just do not forget anything I heard, the emphasis on heard. I Can look you dead in the face and not hear a word as well.

One teacher, 8 schools, 12 years.
And those where the "good old days" when we got bliksemed if we failed. Discipline might have been better but teaching not so much.

Oh I went on to study in an "art' direction and had 80% for technical drawing which I was not allowed to take at school because I was so bad at math and science. So I had a hellish year and a half of accounting because that is the subject the person with number disabilities are going to excel at.

I think you all can hear I do nor think much of school or teachers. Sorry if I offend anybody.
I am so similar. I also doodle to better listen, and have since primary school, and I also have an uncanny verbal memory. I can sometimes recite exactly what people said back to them, years later, to jog their memories.
In general I have a better memory than my friends and relatives, and people I work alongside. There's something to doodling while listening that focuses us.

noxibox

Honorary Master

HE gave them the phone.
Do it.
So would it still be funny if this guy decided to give his wife a beating to teach her respect?

Eniigma

Expert Member
So would it still be funny if this guy decided to give his wife a beating to teach her respect?
Yussie are you just trolling?

There is a difference between a hiding for discipline and a beating or abuse. No one here who disciplines their kid with a hiding would condone a beating. Instead if it being funny if they guy gave his wife a beating, most here would step in and give that guy a beating stern talking too, if he tried that.

Sollie

Expert Member
Where I come from, the wife would wait until he sleeps, then moer him with the rolling pin. (actually happened), or bash him into a tree hurting his back (actually also happened, he ended up in hospital for two weeks, not much sympathy from the hospital just doing their duty).

But hey, trying to equate spousal abuse to old style education makes for a good strawman argument.

Mila

Honorary Master
Because it’s the same thing.
But depends on the fight hey, equal rights and all those things. If guys would box about respect I guess if woman want to be qual they can not cry about not being treated equal.
So yes it probably would be funny since if she called the cops he would loose his business and she’s would not have the nice house and car he pays for.

If you read my posts you would have known where I stood on corporal punishment.

Comparing a hiding of a child to teach them respect and discipline to beating a fully grown adult.

How very Libtard of you :D

I actually saw something one day someone wrote in relation to Grandparents telling a father how to raise his kids. To which he replies: "Don't tell me how to raise my kids, I'm married to one of yours and have seen your handy work..."

In our estate I have noticed the weirdest thing, and it has changed me inside.

My laaitie is pretty popular and has loads of friends. The neighbor's kid and his mate are black. Then some other English and Afrikaans white kids. Normally they are all at my house playing PS4, Soccer, or whatever else on the lawn if not PS. The white kids have ZERO respect for us, the wife and I. They do as they please, open the fridge and get something to drink or eat without even asking. Runs through our house and treat us like we're their friends.

The two black kids on the other hand, always remove their shoes when they enter our house. Make an effort to come and great me even if I'm in the shed not even close to where they are. They do the same with my wife. We have to beg them to eat when we dish up and unless we offer them something to drink they will not ask.

I have told my laaitie I don't want the white kids near my house again. He can go play there. The black kids are welcome anytime. They actually sleep over sometimes as they game right through the night.

White kids today don't get moered enough. And I can tell you now, these black laaities got the shyte hit out of them. The respect they have for their parents and other adults I have never seen before. And I used to have a very different opinion on it due to my own perceptions. I have even had a fight with my mother in-law because I told the 3 of them to go play in our room on the TV there. Since we watched the rugby in the living room and the daughters were watching something else on his TV in the room.

Mother in-law asked me how can I allow kids in my bedroom to play games on the TV. (I knew her issue was because they are black kids) and I gave it to her so bad, she actually left without even waiting for the braai :D. She doesn't know these kids and I do. I used to have the same opinions but these two laaities changed that for me.