Teacher at elite Cape Town girls' school faces disciplinary action for slapping girl

thestaggy

Honorary Master
or even just someone that needs to keep their hands busy to concentrate.
Or that. But yeah, instead of drugging kids with medication or blikseming them, actually try and understand what makes them tick. But that is currently impossible in our current system as schools just seek to put you on a production line and spit you out at the other end.

Oh I went on to study in an "art' direction and had 80% for technical drawing which I was not allowed to take at school because I was so bad at math and science. So I had a hellish year and a half of accounting because that is the subject the person with number disabilities are going to excel at.
Another clear indication that kids are not understood. You clearly had the aptitude for one thing but you were squeezed in to a box. Joke is, the kids that aced maths and science were often some of the worst performers in the workshop and drawing room purely because they didn't want to be there, just like my friend didn't want to be sitting in a classroom staring at a book while a teacher droned on.

Sollie

Expert Member
Or that. But yeah, instead of drugging kids with medication or blikseming them, actually try and understand what makes them tick. But that is currently impossible in our current system as schools just seek to put you on a production line and spit you out at the other end.

Another clear indication that kids are not understood. You clearly had the aptitude for one thing but you were squeezed in to a box. Joke is, the kids that aced maths and science were often some of the worst performers in the workshop and drawing room purely because they didn't want to be there, just like my friend didn't want to be sitting in a classroom staring at a book while a teacher droned on.
Not to disagree, since you said often, rather anecdotal:
I was a top maths student, a 70 percenter in science, loved technical drawing and carpentry. Got 92% in the record exam for woodwork. As the next quarter started, we went through the exam. There was a calculation error with my marks, I had 96%! Proud of myself, I raised my hand, pointing it out to the teacher. He checked, sure enough. But here's the other thing, I had a handwriting form hell. I had an insta-appointment jokingly with gatsometer, a workshop made device to create great pain on the posterior, for the difficulty the teacher had in reading my scrawl. I was not traumatized. We even all laughed about it.

But then again, each child is different, which is why there may be a lot of books on raising children, you'll never find a book that works. At best it give you ideas. For the bulk a certain recipe might work in education, but then again a good teacher will recognize special (not spehsul or stupid) children and devise a plan to attend to them. But also the speshul children where you have to nip their crap in the bud. That's what makes a good teacher and why classes were never too large, max 30 children. Understanding this, mashing kids from different backgrounds 40 or so into a class will result in what we see today, a disaster.

Cr419

Executive Member
The two black kids on the other hand, always remove their shoes when they enter our house. Make an effort to come and great me even if I'm in the shed not even close to where they are. They do the same with my wife. We have to beg them to eat when we dish up and unless we offer them something to drink they will not ask.

That was us as kids, people start dishing up, you come home. Manners were beaten into you from small so later on you knew to behave.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Those kids being jacked up on medication because of ADHD, they don't belong in a classroom. They belong in a workshop where they will be stimulated and engaged.
That's simply not true.

My best friend barely scrapped through high school with 40s and 50s, often failing. The thing is he wasn't stupid, he just didn't care for it. Put him in the woodwork class or technical drawing room and he was delivering 80s and 90s. He couldn't do maths but he could draw a floor plan to scale for you. The education system didn't identify his ability nor could it actually really cater for him, so he struggled through academic subjects, had teachers on his back and his parents were frequently called in because he wasn't focusing or paying attention in class.
That's someone who is not inclined towards academic subjects. Not the same thing at all.

I think primary school should give you grounding in a language of instruction and basic maths, then by the time you reach high school you should then be identified as technically or academically minded and then diverted to an appropriate school.
That is what should happen. But really the whole school system needs to be overhauled. Children should be actively involved in their education from the beginning. The whole industrial revolution style of schooling is no longer fit for purpose. Unless you're aiming to produce drones for factories it is shortchanging all children.

But it isn't high school students who are getting marked out for medication, due to teachers who are incapable of handling the fact that not all children, and especially boys, can sit for long periods in neat rows being talked at by an adult. Why they can't handle it could be because those teachers are lazy or because they're overwhelmed by too many pupils or because schooling is carried out in a rigid manner or because they've simply never been properly trained (training for teachers going in the traditional school system would not include this). In the old days those teachers, and typically their parents too, would simply try to beat those children into submission. The demand for conformism and inflexible school structures has remained the same. So now they've switched to demanding some children be medicated.

noxibox

Honorary Master
In a nutshell, it was called consideration for and respect of others - the foundation of emotional maturity.
Funny way to try to instill those in children. Children mimic their parents, so if anyone is having to hit their children in some misguided attempt to instill manners and politeness then it is a very clear indication that the parent is the problem.

Sollie

Expert Member
Funny way to try to instill those in children. Children mimic their parents, so if anyone is having to hit their children in some misguided attempt to instill manners and politeness then it is a very clear indication that the parent is the problem.
Perhaps you should read my other post as well. But for clarity:
But then again, each child is different, which is why there may be a lot of books on raising children, you'll never find a book that works. At best it give you ideas. For the bulk a certain recipe might work in education, but then again a good teacher will recognize special (not spehsul or stupid) children and devise a plan to attend to them. But also the speshul children where you have to nip their crap in the bud. That's what makes a good teacher and why classes were never too large, max 30 children. Understanding this, mashing kids from different backgrounds 40 or so into a class will result in what we see today, a disaster.
But I do semi-agree with you, in this case, the mother of the learner which is the topic of the thread. :whistling:

daveza

Honorary Master
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...esnt-want-to-go-back-to-toxic-school-20190227

The pupil who was slapped by her teacher at Sans Souci Girls’ High School says she never wants to go back to the institution again.

"It’s toxic. It’s not a safe space for anyone to be, because if you don’t bow down to what they have to say - whether it’s right or wrong - you are then [considered] disrespectful. You are victimised, bullied and treated badly."
Good - seems nobody else wants you there anyway.

"When we were at school [there was corporal punishment]... You stand, there’s a cane, you get a hiding. You hold on to an iron bar [to cool down your hand] and that is it. When I looked at the video, I was very upset because, in my day… never did a teacher slap you through the face and grab you by the chest. What does the teacher expect you to do when they do that?" she asked.
That's because nobody would dare to push a desk into their teacher.

Now stop whining and think how you are going to get through life with your sh1tty attitude.

Sollie

Expert Member
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...esnt-want-to-go-back-to-toxic-school-20190227

Good - seems nobody else wants you there anyway.

That's because nobody would dare to push a desk into their teacher.

Now stop whining and think how you are going to get through life with your sh1tty attitude.
Oh you bully you, I want a safe space (to throw my hissy fits and lies by accusing the teacher of swearing at me) ... :crying::crying::crying:

"I am not saying that when my child is wrong she should not be reprimanded, but treat my child like she is yours. She is under your protections when she is at that school. Treat her fairly.

"Likewise, I expect [my daughter] to treat her teachers with the utmost respect, that she gives me as a parent."
Well, I think the teacher did exactly what my mother would have done if we acted like that.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Oh you bully you, I want a safe space (to throw my hissy fits and lies by accusing the teacher of swearing at me) ... :crying::crying::crying:

Well, I think the teacher did exactly what my mother would have done if we acted like that.
Fsck no... My mom would have handed me over to my dad and I would have wished to die at that point...

cn@

Expert Member
Say a teacher doesn't assault a learner, say he/she doesn't even touch the learner ... but say a teacher calls the learner an a##hole to his/her face (if the learner is indeed an a##hole, objectively speaking after numerous instances during which the learner has portrayed universally accepted a##hole-like behaviour) what would you agree on should the repercussions be for the teacher?

daveza

Honorary Master
Say a teacher doesn't assault a learner, say he/she doesn't even touch the learner ... but say a teacher calls the learner an a##hole to his/her face (if the learner is indeed an a##hole, objectively speaking after numerous instances during which the learner has portrayed universally accepted a##hole-like behaviour) what would you agree on should the repercussions be for the teacher?
Can you be punished for telling the truth ?

Sollie

Expert Member
Fsck no... My mom would have handed me over to my dad and I would have wished to die at that point...
You didn't know my mom. While my dad was a certain type of terror, so was my mom. My folks were preparing for a work function once. She was dressed up, doing her hair, her shoes not on yet. She called me for something and I tried slipping away unseen (but unsuccessfully). Next thing there she was. I thought I knew speed, but I swear my mom must have been a 400m champ in her day. A sturdy wooden handle hair brush died that day (along with my gat for the next few days). Scratch "pretend to not hear mom" and "run away from mom", lessons learn't. :laugh:

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
You didn't know my mom. While my dad was a certain type of terror, so was my mom. My folks were preparing for a work function once. She was dressed up, doing her hair, her shoes not on yet. She called me for something and I tried slipping away unseen (but unsuccessfully). Next thing there she was. I thought I knew speed, but I swear my mom must have been a 400m champ in her day. A sturdy wooden handle hair brush died that day (along with my gat for the next few days). Scratch "pretend to not hear mom" and "run away from mom", lessons learn't. :laugh:
Something like this?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Fair enough :)..

My mom was the good cop... My dad well he was the bad cop rolled up with an expert in psychological torture....

We learned very quickly not to go down that road, the punishment was ALWAYS worse than a paddled rear end.

schumi

Honorary Master
Slapped pupil's mother decides to 'withdraw' her from Sans Souci, plans legal action

The mother of the Cape Town pupil who was slapped during an altercation with her Afrikaans teacher has decided to "withdraw" her daughter from the school, her lawyers said on Thursday.

"The decision to withdraw the learner from the school was prompted by concerns for her well-being, in the face of the unfair and unlawful treatment she has been subjected to and the extremely hostile environment the school has created for her," the Chamber of Legal Students, which has been representing the Grade 9 pupil, said in a statement.

"This is not an environment conducive for her to study in."

The "prolonged unlawful suspension" has effectively deprived the pupil of her right to education, it charged, and it accused the provincial education department of refusing to "step in and protect the learner's constitutional rights".

"In such circumstances, the mother has no alternative but to take her child out of the school. This is in the best interest of the learner."

Department spokesperson Bronagh Hammond previously told News24 that in terms of regulations, if disciplinary proceedings were not conducted within seven school days after the suspension of the pupil, the governing body should obtain approval for the continuation of the suspension.

The total period of suspension of a pupil should not be longer than 21 school days, but in this case, the school applied for a continuation of the suspension which was approved, she explained.

According to the department, the pupil started receiving school work two school days after her suspension.

The child's lawyers said the mother had no confidence that the disciplinary hearing scheduled for Friday would be "fair or impartial".
More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...r-from-sans-souci-plans-legal-action-20190228