Teacher lives in fear after gunman’s threat

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/teacher-lives-in-fear-after-gunman-s-threat-1.1577205

Cape Town - A teacher who was threatened by a gunman in her classroom says she fears going back to school and may leave the teaching profession.

Early last month, a man forced his way into a classroom at Dr Nelson R Mandela High School in Crossroads and pulled a gun on Maureen Gcantsana, 54, in front of her Grade 9 class. She said the man was accompanied by one of her pupils.

“He (the man) asked if I’m Miss Gcantsana. He said: ‘I have been sent to you’. The gun was pointed at my face.”

Gcantsana said a psychologist had booked her off work until next month, but she was afraid to return as other teachers had told her the pupil was still at school. She was not aware of any disciplinary action being taken against the boy. “I’m so afraid to go back. Other teachers are telling me the school is a mess. I’m thinking of looking for another job.”

Western Cape Education Department spokesman Paddy Attwell confirmed that the pupil was at school.

“The school suspended the learner for seven days, in line with procedure, pending a disciplinary hearing. The hearing has not yet taken place.”

The department was paying for security guards at the gate. The circuit team would have further talks with Gcantsana about her concerns.

ilse.fredericks@inl.co.za

Cape Argus

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee... Sad story. Shouldn't the police protect the people? Was there no armed security on the school premises? South Africa is really going down the drain :(

STS

Mafia Detective
It didn't elaborate why he was there and what the resolution of pointing a gun at her face was

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Ja, watch more LOTR and then come to school tuning the kids: "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!!" :twisted:

That'll learn you... :whistling:

xeslaro

Expert Member
Gee... Sad story. Shouldn't the police protect the people? Was there no armed security on the school premises? South Africa is really going down the drain :(
Are you not living in another country? If not, I mistaken you for another member.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Its a sad state of affairs when a pupil disagrees with a teacher and then brings someone with a gun.
Assuming that was what happened. Its not isolated to SA by any means though, the US and UK are just as bad in that regard.

He normally posts from his cellphone so it is difficult for him to quote entire articles.
I have an arrangement with him to post the story when needed.
Phones can copy-paste. He's just being lazy. Don't do his bidding for him. He needs to start posting actual articles or just stop altogether. Posting a link is trolling and people have been infracted for it in the past...