Team Shosholoza

kilps

Expert Member
Ok - I have to post this ;) - I love my sailing and was wondering what people think of South Africa's entry into the America's Cup - www.sachallenge.com

They have just made a new boat - its the first to be built to the new regulations - and thats here is SA! :D http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/More_Sport/0,,2-9-32_1696152,00.html

Anyway - I am just wondering what other people thought of the whole idea and if they even care! :p

Sorry if you din't like this topic - I do :p

kilps

Expert Member
I also noticed that - maby we should try and slip through that we need some help here :)

stoke

Honorary Master
Avast Ye Scarabs !
Where's the pirates flag ? Don't want dem to be hijacked.
Well - howz about a swallows flag den hey ?
I've lost it *goes out to find it*

kilps

Expert Member
he he - you should see some of the videos of them sailing - oh how I would love to be on one of those boats :D

dablakmark8

Honorary Master
I never knew we had a sailing team shoza...why have a team when i know we wont win.waste of money i think

Nickste

Expert Member
dablamark8, pessimists always finish last... ;-)

They are actually quite good aren't they?

Chow, Nick

kilps

Expert Member
Actually in their old (slow) boat they where starting in front of everyone else - only the boat was too slow for them to finish first - but with this new boat . . .

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
dablakmark8 said:
I never knew we had a sailing team shoza...why have a team when i know we wont win.waste of money i think
there goes rugby...

love the idea of a spanking new yacht flying SA colours, can hear the singing of shosholoza as the spray flies - you can be as pessimistic and cynical about SA as you like but moments like that or Josiah Thugwane running in to win the Olympic marathon tell the lie about where your heart really is

kilps

Expert Member
just what i say - watching videos of these guys sailing and looking around their boat (yes - i have been that lucky!) really makes you feel patriotic.

the thing is that the team is also promoting sailing - some of them learnt to sail at a spnsored school in simons town -

"What you see here today is the first evidence of the realization of our African Dream for the world's oldest and most prestigious sporting trophy," said Capt Sarno, who is also chairman of Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC) South Africa.
Theres an idea of what this is all about - it about promoting South Africa

stoke

Honorary Master
You said it's here ?
Which Peer/Wharf where ?
*Pulls out his 4ft x 1ft MYADSL sticker and grins*

kilps

Expert Member
Its already left for Valencia - but when its back it will be at the Waterfront ...

dablakmark8

Honorary Master
Nickste said:
dablamark8, pessimists always finish last... ;-)

They are actually quite good aren't they?

Chow, Nick

I am a very pesimistic person,I cant help it.This country affairs some times make me sick.Look at telkom.....may they rest in peace someday :mad:

ic

White Walker [wearing a MyBroadband Jacket]
Super Moderator
stoke said:
You said it's here ?
Which Peer/Wharf where ?
*Pulls out his 4ft x 1ft MYADSL sticker and grins*
kilps said:
Its already left for Valencia - but when its back it will be at the Waterfront ...
No problemo, just get on the sat phone & ask them to spray paint aghetto version of MyADSL.co.za on the sails...:D

tibby.dude

Executive Member
Anybody remember the "Voortrekker" (Bertie Reed afaik) from a few years ago ???.

kilps

Expert Member
A random fact: those sails they can only use for about 12 hours of racing and about 5 more for practising (to give you an idea I keep my sails for about a year or two) - and every turn is recorded - bust also remember that they are out training everyday :eek:

ScrnScrm

Expert Member
tibby.dude said:
Anybody remember the "Voortrekker" (Bertie Reed afaik) from a few years ago ???.

Few years ago? You definately giving away your age dude :D - Bertie became "famous" in '82 for winning solo round the world race. Everest of the sea I think they called it
Voortrekker (and Voortrekker 2 [V2]) were actually SA Navy yachts. Bertie Reed was a Navy sailor... Think V2 last raced in Dec '95 (Cape to Rio), then was sold? As far as I remember, Bertie had already left the Navy by then, and I cant for the live of me remember who sailed her. It will come back to me, its late :D

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
i remember getting pissed at berties on the waterfront if that helps