Tech execs that left South Africa and landed top jobs overseas

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Tech execs leave South Africa — and land top jobs overseas

Many prominent South African IT and telecommunications CEOs have left South Africa and are now in top positions internationally.

Skilled professionals have been leaving South Africa for years in search of a more secure life in Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, United States, and Canada.

Emigration is particularly prevalent among high-income professionals. In 2019 it was estimated that at least 400,000 high-income professionals have left South Africa.

The 2021 African wealth report, which was produced by AfrAsia bank in collaboration with New World Wealth, reveals a similar trend among South Africa’s ultra-rich.

Thor

Honorary Master
Well the ANC is to blame.

Crime and Rape and Pillage, what to expect, that people with the means will choose to suffer?

Bighit

Expert Member
Maybe also worth doing an article of all the international executives in South Africa. At a senior level there are a lot of executives who move around the world.

Yeah, more recently the head of VWSA left for the Czech Republic

NiTeD

Expert Member
400 000 people, you can assume that they each employed at least one domestic cleaner, at least one domestic gardener, which means that 800 000 people lost an income.

That's the scary part
That's assuming people who took their spots didn't need domestic or garden service.

cguy

Executive Member
That's assuming people who took their spots didn't need domestic or garden service.
If the new people didn’t come from overseas, they probably already had those services.

Edit: to be clear, I don’t agree with the original statement that 800k people simply become unemployed, but certainly a fair chunk of them did - possibly quite a bit less directly, but likely a lot more when one considers second order implications.

Last edited:

krycor

Honorary Master
For the promos.. I don’t see it as a loss that can be changed.

That happens regardless of situation in SA due to better position and it would be career ending to not move unless they saying people were happy in the past to remain in jobs instead of going elsewhere to be paid more?

Honestly I don’t understand articles when it comes to career advancing moves. Given a better paying job abroad I doubt many would turn it down (outside of covid).

envo

Expert Member
It's funny how people care about healthcare, safety, public services and income nê

And it's not only whites leaving (if anyone out there thought this is mostly white high-income professionals)

For these high-income individuals, it doesn't make too much of a difference re: income, but I can tell you now, being in a country where you don't have to be worried about being shot in a hijacking/house break in and have access to excellent health care services without the stress and fight in dealing with medical insurance (and the cost around that), is amazing

Personally, my income doubled. Health care is just a given and the level of public service is excellent. The post office ACTUALLY delivers mail!!!!

Hell, even the beggars you find asking you for money is nicer, less intimidating, smiles all around "Hello How are you" and when not giving anything "Thank you" and "Have a nice day" instead of the intimidating "**** you" you get from most of them on South African streets. (which, I guess, can differ from country to country anyway)

My anxiety levels plummeted significantly. That in itself was well worth it as I don't feel imprisoned in a gated estate where every out-of-the-ordinary sound spikes my adrenaline thinking "this is it" or sitting without electricity for days on end, rendering any security or prevention of crime essentially useless. Especially with lockdown, you end up being home most of the time anyway.

Right before I left, there were 4 fatal hijackings at the entrance of my estate. Sure we have security, but it does very little when someone shoots first and threatens second, and from what I've heard from my tenants, that hasn't really gone down at all.

It's sad, I love my country, but I think I love being in a place that pays me well for my skills, and where I don't have to fight for my literal life just getting to work if some odd-job decides he likes my car and wants it, a lot more.

It's tantamount to sitting on the beach on vacation sipping a cocktail. The difference is night and day.

It's also crazy that those who can't afford to leave is stuck there, but like most South Africans, we make the best out of what we have, I just wish they didn't have to be so nervous/anxious about crime and have the sense of safety I have now. At least then you could deal with power outages and shitty service levels.

Just my 2c.

system32

Expert Member
400 000 people, you can assume that they each employed at least one domestic cleaner, at least one domestic gardener, which means that 800 000 people lost an income.

That's the scary part
I had a few work mates leave for safer pastures.
They took all their assets (or cash equivalent) with them.
They took all their skills with them.
A huge drain on the economy. It was their money, so no complaints.

The increasing ZA unemployment contradicts your assumption.